KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the horror stories and now it’s happened to me :frown:
Out for a ride the other day when I noticed the engine getting a bit tappety.
Started riding home, then lost a load of power.
Got it back to my garage, took the rocker covers off to give them a check.
I could have fitted all of my feeler gauges in the gap! :mad:
ENGINE OUT!

The Needle roller bearing has SH*T itself. Technical terminology.

What I need now is some help......
I've found two of the needles by the valve springs. Will I have to a complete strip down? Or will the bits get filtered out somewhere in the system?

Any help will greatly appreciated :redface:

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
yup you should do................ but i didnt,,, my thoughts were i change the oil every 1000 miles and there are 2 filters to catch the bits

check for wear on your cam too..... mine got damaged

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah my cam does need changing... I've put an advert in the wanted section for a rocker arm and camshaft

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
if you have to buy new...............

then think of an upgrade.... either a 660 cam or a rallye cam..... both give some improvement

this was my cam...................

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Just to add to this - im assuming im going to have to get the engine out of my 660 someday - how long does it take to get it out....plus - if your engine is out would it be easier to give it to a mechanic (if youre not sure about how to proceed) - years ago the big ends failed on my gsxr - so i got the engine out and gave it to a local mechanic (i didnt have a clue how to work on the bottom end) and he sorted it for a fraction of the price as it was much easier to work on - just a thought....sorry i cant offer any help - not had mine long , just starting to find my way round it...

I would definately say a strip down (any metal floating around inside is going to get ground up and cause more problems....)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you have to buy new...............

then think of an upgrade.... either a 660 cam or a rallye cam..... both give some improvement

this was my cam...................

Would the 660 or rallye cam be a straight swap.... No mods? Or other Bits?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I'll do the work on my engine. I have the manuals,google,YouTube and this forum.
Yup - i can appreciate that - i didnt want to sound patronising, probably the outlook i would take too - but if it got too much for me then id rather dent my pride than run the risk of blowing the engine....im quite lucky as theres a motorcross shop about a 1/2 mile away from me and they are a good bunch so ive got a kind of a get out clause if i get out of my depth....assuming this will/could happen to me....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't mean to sound like I was having a pop at you.
I enjoy doing work like this. Even though I haven't attempted a job this big before.
Its a good challenge.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Ah - thats ok - most stuff on bikes im ok with - always been a bit limited on engines - my knowledge engine wise extends to the top end of most 2 strokes....there is no timing or anything like that as long as you get a good seal it works.....

It does scare me pulling mine apart - ive got the option to do the valve clearances in about 800 miles time or so and the oil change....

Ill be following this thread closely - oh - how long did it take to get the motor out?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ill be following this thread closely - oh - how long did it take to get the motor out?
Took 2-3 hours... Took me ages to actually lift the engine out. My tip would be to put a bar between the engine and frame and lever it out and get someone to catch the engine. :D
If you have the manual for your bike it'll tell you exactly what to do.

I'll take pictures when I start stripping it.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
how far are you going to go.....all the way or just the top end off??

Oh - do you know where i can find the manual for my 660smc...? ive been looking for ages....

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
how far are you going to go.....all the way or just the top end off??

Oh - do you know where i can find the manual for my 660smc...? ive been looking for ages....
pay a £10 membership on this forum and you can get it in the members section

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Just to add to this - im assuming im going to have to get the engine out of my 660 someday - how long does it take to get it out......)
just over an hour........... worst bit is wiggling it out the frame when all nuts and bolts are out... and wiggling it back in

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Thats not too bad - i envisaged about 3 hours or so......tenner - cheap at half the price - point me in the right direction....

Cant wait to see the pics...id love to be able to tackle any engine work that comes about - this should get interesting....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts