KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

just signed up as im on the hunt for a 640/dukeII. I have spotted a 2001 640 sm on ebay which I quite like the look of. Is there anything I should be looking for on this bike specifically? Ive heard the black lc4 motors are prone to cracking heads between the headers, is this true? Are the black motors still generally ok or should I avoid it.

Also, does a 2001 model have both ignition start/steering lock and kickstart or just the kickstart?

This bike has 8 previous owners and no history - Im guessing this is fairly common for the type of bike or would I be best off looking elsewhere? It could be available for around £1350-1400 however so is it worth a punt?

2001 KTM 640 Super-moto on eBay (end time 09-Sep-10 18:18:57 BST)

Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I'm on an 01. Picked it up 3 years ago with 12thousand K's on the clock, and have added another 30thou. Now on one hand, this one has been a great bike to me, with no catastrophic failures, just normal maintenance and wear n tear. But on the other hand, If I had the chance to do it over again, I would have saved a little more for a grey engined 2003 or later. Stronger high flow head with larger valves, stronger needle roller main bearing from standard, etc.

My personal opinion is that if your handy with mechanical devices and do your own work, then the bike your looking at just might be a cheap way into an LC4 with loads of upgrade potential. Otherwise, get the best grey engined one you can find and just enjoy it.

Oh and yes 01 has kick and button with key and steering lock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers Supertard, yes im pretty handy - car mechanic by trade so dont mind getting stuck in. Not done much with bikes engine/gbox wise but I understand the lc4 is a pretty simple engine and easy to work on. The main thing being is I dont want to spend a lot of money as its not my sole bike. Its a 2nd bike to run alongside my zx6r.
So cheap and cheerful fits the bill. And mileage wise it will probably only see less thank 2k per year.
Im a bit sceptical about the mileage on the ebay one im considering, 8 owners and less than 8k on the clock seems a bit off but I suppose its cheap enough to take a risk on.
Its just an alternative to my sportsbike so I dont have to be busting the speed limits all the time to be having fun, plus I much prefer the really twisty stuff than just belting along a roads all day.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Well your definitely on the right track. I gave up on highways and geared mine down to maximise the twisty fun.

However, just a thought. Based on the use you have outlined. Perhaps an RFS engine based EXC would fit the bill. Their a competition based machine, more highly strung, and require more regular serivcing. But extremely light and flickable. Well suited to a 2nd bike role.

Good luck with your shopping.

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
black engine = end in tears lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
My S1000RR is for sale now, please someone buy it.....i want to be able to get the 690 before the winter. Its got a black engine but i will paint it grey if you buy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts