KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm just about to say yes to a very expensive LC4 valve refurb. I've got 16,000 miles on my Duke 2, and wondered whether the engine clank and valve problems are par for the course after this kind of mileage?

any similar stories/ advice on longevity/ etc would be helpful. Just wondering whether i should fix it and sell it or keep riding.

cheers

d.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
If you rev the nuts off these engines from cold - don't change the oil regularly - leave it sitting around for months doing nothing and modify/service the engine using a 4lb lump hammer and a 1/2" Whitworth spanner - then they seem to have very short lives.

On the other hand if it is one of the later 'grey' coloured engines from about 2004 onwards they can deliver a lot of fun, fun, fun!

Several folk on here have run up some fairly respectable mileages with very little in the way of problems. If you invest in a rebuild - you have a personal say in the engines longevity - treat it with respect and it should continue to deliver lots of smiles per mile.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hear you

I've certainly looked after it, thus the surprise at the valve problems. though I can only take the previous owner at his word regarding how he rode and cared for it.

thanks for reply

·
Registered
849 Posts
Mine has done 7500 miles 5000 are what I put on it and I dont ride like a Nun. I do oil filters and valve clearances every 1500 miles. So far no nasty noises or bits of metal in the oil, starst on the button and has never lost any power, its been a belting bike so far. Look after your bike and your bike will look after you.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
FWIW mines a long way past 16k, and I ask it to sing daily.

Which actual engine are we looking at? 01-02 is usually black and 03 and on was silver with the high flow head. Although I did notice the duke 2's got some mix and match engines around the time of change over.

If its all silver with high flow written on the head, then I can't think of any specific reason not to do the top end work and enjoy it.
If its got a black head without high flow written on it, I would find a HF one and buy it, rather than repair an older type.
If its got a black bottom end as well, I would make sure the main bearing on the clutch side has been changed from a roller ball to roller needle design. (as per the grey ones) This can be inspected and even changed without splitting the cases.

Beyond that... What work is to be done to the valves, and whats the damage to your wallet looking like? This lot in here will keep your mechanic honest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW mines a long way past 16k, and I ask it to sing daily.

Which actual engine are we looking at? 01-02 is usually black and 03 and on was silver with the high flow head. Although I did notice the duke 2's got some mix and match engines around the time of change over.

If its all silver with high flow written on the head, then I can't think of any specific reason not to do the top end work and enjoy it.

Beyond that... What work is to be done to the valves, and whats the damage to your wallet looking like? This lot in here will keep your mechanic honest.
It's a 07 silver with high flow. I've yet to have a full diagnostic, but the rough quote is £800 for the top end work. I'll also use the garage time for a full service/ oil change etc too and I've just put a new tyre, sprocket and chain set on her as well.

I suppose I'm a little gutted the engine is giving me such trouble after only 17K, when I've only driven a few thousand miles on it!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Oh wow, ouch. That seems like a lot of dough to me. What went wrong?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have more than 27K on mine :D :)
Two problems so far, a cam which I believe destroyed by mistake (mine and my mechanic) and a balancer shaft..

As restitution said the bike make me smile every single day :) :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wow, ouch. That seems like a lot of dough to me. What went wrong?
not absolutely sure yet - it's about to go to another mechanic to do the work, who will first do a full diagnostic. I'll share the diagnostic with you once i have it.

But the symptoms include clanking in the engine and loss of power (the main problem).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts