KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

Hi,

I've got an '07 Duke 2 and have recently had it serviced about 400 miles ago.

I was off a ride out on Sunday and checked my oil, it was on less than minimum, which I though was strange, so I dug out the manual.

It says in it that when cold the level should be on minimum, and when warm it should be on maximum. (I'd of expected it to be the other way round ?) :confused:

Anyhow, I've been keeping an eye on my oil this week and sometimes it'll be showing no oil when hot and cold, then other times it'll be 1/2 full or 3/4 full.

(Yes the bike is level when I'm checking it :D)

Can anyone tell me when is the best time to check the level and what it should be at (whether it be hot or cold)

Sorry if I sound a bit of a numpty, but I don't want to feck it up by having to much or too little in it.

Cheers

:burnout:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi mate - that does sound a little confusing :redface:

I would basically check it when it has stood overnight and when stone cold the level should be at the minimum off the stand as you say. This makes it less confusing as 'hot' could be a number of different temperatures whereas if you leave it overnight you know it is as cold as it is ever going to be

if it isnt at the min level it does need topping up to be around that minimum mark on the glass

And as the manual says this level will rise when the engine is warm :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks

Cheers for that, (speedy response it was too !) :D
I'll give it a check first thing in the morning.

What oil is everyone using in this engine ?

I know in the manual it says 10w 40, but I rang the dealer who service my bike and they has put Motorex Powersynt 10w 50 in it.

Just wondering what other people are using ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
No bother mate i use the one your dealer is recomending as that is what they use at the 3kmile services and i have a small bottle to top up with.

it does use a tiny bit of oil when used hard. So a top up bottle is well worth having:)

Enjoy buddy

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Oil expands when hot, so warm oil has more volume than cold oil.

Always best to check oil when a bike is warm, cos cold uncirculated oil can hide in all sorts of nooks and crannies, esp on an LC4 with oil in the frame and a coupla filters.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
u sure it says 10W40 in the manual ? the LC4 uses oil and quiet possibly ur system was not bled right , but i can only assume as i am not looking directly at the bike .
is the oil circuilating in the sight glass(optic level) ??

when the bike is stone cold level should be at the lower merk and when hot it shoudl be at the upper mark , oil epxands when heated and under pressure hope this helps

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my 1 litre bottle on order.
www.gear4offroad.co.uk
£15 ish delivered, not bad really.
Panic over. Thanks for the advice.

Hope to get out this weekend, not too many nice days left in this year I bet.

Clitheroe, Waddington, Slaidburn (bacon buttie), Settle, Horton in Ribblesdale, Ingleton, Caton layby (brew and food), Devils Bridge (Lancaster) and then back home down the A6.

What a cracking ride that is, recommended (A6 bit is a bit boring after the other roads though !)

If your in the Lancashire area, give it a try !

:burnout:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Always best to check oil when a bike is warm, cos cold uncirculated oil can hide in all sorts of nooks and crannies, esp on an LC4 with oil in the frame and a coupla filters.
Thanks for that dutch - you learn something new everday:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil does 'dribble' through the sight glass when it's running, I'm probably worring a bit too much, but I'd rather ask than be sorry later.

I was out on a run last night, when I stopped, the oil glass didn't show much oil, and it was deffo warmed up. Does it matter what position the engine is in, i.e stroke ? Or does this have no effect ?

I might get some new filters and drop the oil just to put myself at ease.

Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
well I rode home today thought id check on the oily stuff. got it in doors had a look. it was below the minimum, so I turned and got my top up oil bottle looked back and its back to normal! oh what fun

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks oggo69

Checked it this morning, just below min on cold. Just been a ride and checked it hot and it's about 3/4 full. So going to top it up when it cools down.

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts