KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

can anyone tell me what to expect on a long distance trial event :confused: Ive entered one cos a friend has and wanted some support :eek: he has a CRF250 and im taking the trusty Orange thing :) I understand there will be a 90 mile loop with various timed stages on private land throughout the distance. We have registered, but not had anything back as yet, is this normal? will we not know the route and timed stages until the day in question? Thanks in advance for any replies people

·
Registered
496 Posts
LDT will have various observed sections, which you will need to "clean" without putting your feet down, coming to a stop or falling off. There are usually 1 or 2 special timed sections which act as tie breakers, cos there will always be some old buggers in wellies and gardening gloves who does the whole thing wothout dropping a point.

Trail type bikes are far more suitable for these than enduro bikes, but thats never stopped us. Have aluagh, do your best and still get beaten by almost every one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most of the LDT events specify that you need to run a trials tyre on the back, so hopefully you've got one organised.

You can be surprisingly competitive on a KTM in one of these events - the one thing that's a perpetual problem is the steering lock. As Monty said, when some old fucking git turns up riding something like a Scorpa Longride (which is just a trials bike with a seat) then he's going to be able to turn on a sixpence, where to do that on a KTM you need to have one of the wheels off the ground.

You probably have the skill to wheelie, bouncing the front wheel off trees to put in a 180 degree turn, pivoting on the back wheel, or use massive hops of the rear wheel, in which case, you'll win.

I like the LDT events, but a bit like many sports, you do get some people who take it all a bit seriously. Enjoy it, it's a great opportunity to have a ride around on land you're not normally allowed on.

But don't ever buy a Scorpa Longride, because I will hate you, and I'm sure I won't be the only one. If you want to ride one of those, enter regular trials. Cheating bastards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts