KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i have petrol slightly leaking from the very bottom pipe coming from the bottom of the float bowl on the carb.

anyone know why and what a fix could be? im guessing its something to do with the floats so im going to start taking it apart and will give it a clean but a bit of advice on here would reassure or help me

thanks guys

2002 520 engine! exc

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill check the whole pipe, no its a very slight leak, drips every now and then but it never used to...i only ride it, havn't done anything different its just randomly started leaking

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Sticking floatbowl ??

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The pipe is for the 'overflow' mate

It's leaking because fuel is not being stopped properly either by you float height (should be 9mm)

Or your float seat washer is perished (as was mine)

It's a simple fix mate, take your carb off take off the float bowl, then blow down the fuel inlet pipe whilst tipping the carb so that your float is closing the inlet valve.

If you can ever so slightly blow then your o ring in the float seat will need replacing.

If you can't blow any air the adjust your float height so you have a good enough seal to not let any air through.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
yeah i can blow through it slightly...where abouts is this seal scott?
The o ring is on the end of the float seat mate, mine was that perished I could pick it off with my finger nail!

Take carb off.
Take bowl off.
Take float out with float needle attached.
Then unscrew the 'Phillips' screw holding the float seat in place, be carefully unscrewing this one as mine must have been made of cheese and rounded off :).
Once this screw is out use a pair of long nose pliers to grip and gently lift out the seat from the carb.

You will see the black o ring in question.

Give everything a good clean out in there to get any bits of grit and dirt out.

Swap the o ring for a new one, put it all back together making sure your float height is set and that 'should' be the end of your leak ;)

To set your float height mate, page 33 Check your manual out here http://ktmdirtquestions.com/wp-cont...KTM-400f520f-sx-fmxc-fexc-f-owners-manual.pdf

Scott

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyones help, i took it apart last night and gave it all a propper clean and now it seems to be fine and when i blow through it, it does seem to seal so ideal?

Thanks everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.