KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride round Rivington today, when I come to put my bike away, I notices some oil around the sight glass on my bike, my boot has smeared it about a bit.

its a 2007 Duke 2 and it's the sight glass on the right side of the bike ? Is this the gearbox oil ? Also noted the level looked pretty low too ? I've only just noticed it so think it's only just started happening.

Anyone had anything similar on the LC4 engine ???

·
Registered
975 Posts
yes my old duke 1 leaked for the sight glass, its a timing sight glass not a oil level..

it didnt bother me as the bike was a nail :)

you may be able to get a new seal, or a second hand cover is about 25 quid..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any advice would be good

Does anyone know anything about this Glass ?

Is it for an oil level or a timing thing ? I can't find anything in the Owners Manual, or in an LC4 engine manual.

Could it be a blocked filter/breather causing too much pressure to be in there and that's why it's leaking ?

Sorry for alll the questions, but I'm a worry wart and need to sort it sharpish. (my warranty ran out yesterday too....bastard !)

Cheers in advance ;)

·
Registered
975 Posts
what side of the motor is it on, as you sit on the bike?

the numpty that had my duke one before me thought the timing glass was for oil level and fill it right up to there, maybe he didnt know that oil pissing out of the air box is a bad sign?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Heya, yep mine had this drama a month or so back. Should be easy to fix. Simply remove side cover. Even with engine full of oil should only need a bit of a rag to collect what drips out with the cover off.

Inspect glass, probably just needs pushing firmly back into place, from the inside..

Worst case scenario, you might need a new glass piece.. But I'd be willing to bet it just wants pushing back in...

Take care to not overtighten the cover nuts when refitting. And your done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mine does this, its not an oil level window just for timing, it only weaps slightly so im not too bothered, just keep an eye on it, i spoke to the mechanic at bracken and he assured me that alot of the lc4 do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts