KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My garage had two 5 foot tubes in there and they were ok but seemed to be getting dimmer, or maybe my eye sight is just failing. They would also flicker when it was cold and then recently one started flashing - the final straw!
I looked for replacement tubes but they seemed expensive so I thought now was the time to rip them out and replace with mains powered LED Batten tubes.

I looked on ebay for best size and 3ft (90cm) strips seemed to give the best foot per £ (or wattage per £) and my plan was to install 4 of these.They are suppose to be 30 watts each so four would be a good replacement for the two ageing 75w tubes I had in there.
Then I found a cracking deal on some 4 ft strips that are claiming to be 36w each (3150 lm) and so went with them instead. I was going to buy 4 but for a few pounds more I could get 6 (£38 delivered) so that's what I did as it's good to have spares

I went for the cool white 6000k as I have bought warm white LED's previously and they look too yellow. Natural white 4000k might be a good compromise but I was going for maximum clarity for working on bikes.

So this is what I received.

I made up some extension wires from some flex I had and soldered them on, also I then soldered the ends of these flex extensions so they would work better with the existing single core lighting cable and terminal boxes in the garage.
Fitting was simple and they look so much better, and brighter.. almost too bright, and that's with just three of them in there.

It's hard to show brightness with phone cameras but I took this one at night to try and show the difference between the new garage lights and my outside lights which are energy efficient type bulbs (compact fluorescent lamps).

And what is really nice is when you're just nipping in to get something you flick the switch you get almost instant light. No delay whilst the tubes flicker & struggle to strike.
So I'd say if your old florescent tube lights are pissing you off then now is a good time to consider ripping them out and going LED.
:cool:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I did mine a while ago and they've been great. Sods law still states that anything you drop will end up in the most remote and darkest area in the garage.
My garage had two 5 foot tubes in there and they were ok but seemed to be getting dimmer, or maybe my eye sight is just failing. They would also flicker when it was cold and then recently one started flashing - the final straw!
I looked for replacement tubes but they seemed expensive so I thought now was the time to rip them out and replace with mains powered LED Batten tubes.

I looked on ebay for best size and 3ft (90cm) strips seemed to give the best foot per £ (or wattage per £) and my plan was to install 4 of these.They are suppose to be 30 watts each so four would be a good replacement for the two ageing 75w tubes I had in there.
Then I found a cracking deal on some 4 ft strips that are claiming to be 36w each (3150 lm) and so went with them instead. I was going to buy 4 but for a few pounds more I could get 6 (£38 delivered) so that's what I did as it's good to have spares

I went for the cool white 6000k as I have bought warm white LED's previously and they look too yellow. Natural white 4000k might be a good compromise but I was going for maximum clarity for working on bikes.

So this is what I received.

I made up some extension wires from some flex I had and soldered them on, also I then soldered the ends of these flex extensions so they would work better with the existing single core lighting cable and terminal boxes in the garage.
Fitting was simple and they look so much better, and brighter.. almost too bright, and that's with just three of them in there.

It's hard to show brightness with phone cameras but I took this one at night to try and show the difference between the new garage lights and my outside lights which are energy efficient type bulbs (compact fluorescent lamps).

And what is really nice is when you're just nipping in to get something you flick the switch you get almost instant light. No delay whilst the tubes flicker & struggle to strike.
So I'd say if your old florescent tube lights are pissing you off then now is a good time to consider ripping them out and going LED.
:cool:We have them at work, very energy efficient with a strong light, some of the makes have a micro switch at one end so you can select from one of 3 light colours.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I recently had a new garage built, I painted the inside walls white and fitted more LED strip lights then you can shake a stick at. When I turn off the lights after leaving the garage at night time I have to stand next to the door for about 5 seconds because I can't see a thing, I can't find my way back to the house!

After having a shitty garage for years I could now live in my garage, I would only have to leave it to go out on my bikes or down to the chippy!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I started off a few years ago with 600mm square panel leds that are made to drop into false ceilings. A vast improvement on the previous flourescent tubes. I've since moved on to led tubes as the panels blocked off access to the rafters and they were starting to fade a bit after 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started off a few years ago with 600mm square panel leds that are made to drop into false ceilings. A vast improvement on the previous flourescent tubes.
Yeh, I contemplated using those instead or even as well as but after seeing how bright just the LED tubes are I don't think I need anymore light in there.

I might put one switchable strip along my work bench to help side light which ever bike is being worked on but I'll see how I get on as it is first.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I put a line of those bare leds on a self adhesive strip under the wall cupboards over my bench as I'm standing in my own light when working. They are a big improvement too. They run on 12V DC from a battery charged by a solar panel.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeh, I contemplated using those instead or even as well as but after seeing how bright just the LED tubes are I don't think I need anymore light in there.

I might put one switchable strip along my work bench to help side light which ever bike is being worked on but I'll see how I get on as it is first.
I got the 600mm panels when they 1st came out and they were around £150 each. I wouldn't use them in a garage now as the led tubes are so much more convenient and easier to fit.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
we have 5 rows of 6 in our business , only three rows are ever on , lol :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: its like working on the surface of the sun

·
Registered
836 Posts
Look out for the blueish daylight spectrum ones if you can or spending a lot of time under them does put a strain on your eyes, especially if you are doing anything intricate. The stark light also flattens colours and throws some very deep shadows.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a link to where you bought them?

4 off would be adequate - £29.99

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
I seem to be needing more and more light to see things these days so, as my bike shed is a timber building, I have two 5ft LED. tubes plus four bloody great LED floodlights pointing at the bike bench.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That is good value. I just paid around £35 each for a 5ft 6000k from Screwfix!

I’ve only plumbed one in so far and it’s already lighting up the whole room so god knows what the other 5 will do!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I work in the NHS and we are getting them everywhere because of efficiency. Some are complaining about the brightness but I like them. Bought LED bulbs for the garden spotlights and they’re awesome

1 - 20 of 48 Posts