KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right guys, a few calls, a few PM's and a bit of digging and here we have a trip being organised albeit still in the early stages of planning.

Morocco 14th April - 4th May 2011

Shipping the bikes down to Malaga and fly on the 14th. This will give more riding time in Morocco as it will take 2-3 days riding down through France and Spain. the costs I have at the moment are only of the flights from Leeds and Bradford which are £97 including taxes and they are return flights.

I appreciate that we all live in different parts of the country and you would have to look and price the flights for the same day, the price I've put up are to show you the costs.

I will be travelling with my missus on the back, therefore if we get enough interest there will be one or two groups, one to do the knarly pistes and one to do tarmac/not so knarly pistes. The plan is to ride out in the groups and meet up in the evenings, that way we can share tools, parts and knowledge if anything went tits up, safety in numbers and all that ;)

Another fellow inmate has just returned from a trip out there and you can have a taster of the roads, pistes and scenery here there's also a couple of videos to show the kind of terrain out there.

Like I say it's still in the early planning , and the only thing definate is the start date. I appreciate some people won't be able to take almost 3 weeks off work, so you could return home after 10/14 days along with others in the group.

If you're genuinely interested drop me a PM and I'll put you're name on this first page.
As and when I get any more info on prices, places to stay/visit I'll update on here. Feel free to comment and advise.

Cheers all.

DG

Rider list;

DG + 1 - Leeds
Blue - Leicester
Frog - North Somerset
Taffcd - Cheshire
Aston Masher - Midlands
Pebble35 - Jersey
Jayrob - Cheshire
RigHanger - Glasgow
ChubbyThumper - Norn Iron
Bongoman - Leicester
Andy Biker - Norwich
Baz - Glasgow
Adventure S Rob - Oxford (should be Super Enduro Rob now :rolleyes:)
Burny - Durham

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
fair play to you - i'd love to do it one day - but with young kids and a long trip tp the Phillipines planned next summer i'll just watch how you get on with great interest!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
If you need any contacts for bike shipping etc. then let us know :)

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Gordo! I'll have a chat with you and Gareth next weekend at the Cambrian ;)

Approximate cost for the trip will be around £3000. I'll have a more definative cost after next week and what you'll get for the £3k. Or with a bit of luck it might be cheaper ;)

I am a Yorkshireman after all :D

Rider list updated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
£3K:eek: you're staying in some nice hotels then.....Spent £1600 last year and rode down via the santander ferry (return £245) fuel £350 total for 3k miles and only camped one night. Would like to see Morocco in April time too...meant to be more greener and picturesque..Have a good on lads...'n lasses. Enjoy the roomservice and jacuzzis ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
£1600 was what I spent getting to and back from Morocco...The bits I hide from the missus are all the pre flight checks. Tyres £200, service £260, insurance etc... soon adds up. So in real terms £2200ish. But it was worth every penny, and your doing the right thing having 3 weeks, you should see pretty much most of the interesting bits, on and off road...........I'm so jelous, going to look at my photos now and dream.

·
Registered
790 Posts
D.G.

Work dependant count me in.
Can we have a map of the provisional route?

D

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Cheers Gordo! I'll have a chat with you and Gareth next weekend at the Cambrian ;)
No problem - our consultancy fees are very reasonable :D

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
DG + 1
Blue
Frog
Taffcd
Aston Masher
Pebble35
Jayrob
RigHanger
ChubbyThumper
Bongoman
Can people on the list post whereabouts in the UK they are so we can plan some sort of logistics pick up points.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Taffcd = Runcorn Cheshire
Aston Masher = Stockport Manchester

For info I have the Morocco Topo Maps on my Zumo. Might be of some help!

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Can people on the list post whereabouts in the UK they are so we can plan some sort of logistics pick up points.
I am in Jersey - easiest option for me is to ride down and meet up where the bikes are delivered in Spain -might consider shipping bike if it can be collected in Portsmouth though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just a thought fellas, is anyone interested in visiting Marakesh, Casablanca etc?
I think that the more interesting places are away from the tourist routes. That’s where the real people live! I’m up for visiting the smaller towns and mixing more with the locals. I’ve been told that Casablanca is full of tourists and pickpockets.

Andy
Norwich, Norfolk.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Things to come

All,

D

1 - 20 of 189 Posts