KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been following the "What bikes have you had" thread and reflecting on the stuff that's passed through my hands over the years. Seems that some of you have had more bikes in a year than I've had in the last 35 (!)

Anyway, If you had to pick only One - which would be the worst ?. and Why ?.

Mines sadly a KTM ..... Comet 50RS in about 1979. Bought coz it had Mag wheels. Turned out that it was SLOW (Sachs Engine) Badly Built, and worst of all it had Egg shaped drum brakes - Absolutely shockingly bad. Took me about 25 years to buy another KTM, but not bought any other brand since (apart from an X-Max Scooter for work)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably the Suzuki GT185. Shit brakes, shit suspension, crap electrics, overweight, underpowered.
But... It was my first bike, and I bloody loved it. Wouldn't go all nostalgic and buy another, though. Ever.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
2001 KTM 640 Sumo. Black engine. Most unreliable vehicle of any description I've ever owned. I had a Suzuki TS80 when I was 16 that had about 300 previous teenage owners that mostly lived on our estate, and was dodgy as fuck to ride and look at, and even that brakeless pile of shit was more reliable.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Honde CD200 Benly with a massive Polaris fairing. Cant for the life of remember what I was drinking when I bought it but it was an abolute crock... 50mph with 4 gears!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Kawasaki KL250 trail bike, the crappy air cooled two valve version, it weighed a ton and felt like it had 2.5 BHP

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Yam DT125. It’s oil pump used seize up every 50 miles.
I got used to stripping and rebuilding it in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Dorsoduro 750, I picked it up from Ilkeley abd rode it home, I thought it was broke, running on one cylinder or something. It was heavy and flat as a witches tit. I went -1 +3 gearing, full Akrapovic decat and remap and it was still wank. Sold it to Tom Elmhirst (Amy Winhouse / Mark Ronsons sound mixer) he had it nicked in London a week later, best thing that could have happened to it 😂😂😂

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
R6. Uncomfortable beyond belief, whiny, and gutless when you're used to litre bikes. Had to rant the shit out of it to get it to go... Looked nice though...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not the same motor as CB200? They were pretty gutless but reliable, ride um anywhere.
not sure... it was a horrendous 4 speed 200cc twin. Every nut and bolt on the thing was made out of monkey metal and the cam/chain/tensioner/entire top end rattled and clattered. Was forever breaking down.

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
XR600. Big heavy slow cumbersome. Neither one thing nor another. Bastard to start and expensive for parts. Collectable now though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Norton Commando, leaked oil all over my foot, once on a short ride it even shed an engine bolt then it ran a main bearing, got a Yamaha 650 after that, much better.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Bought a brand new Tiger 885i in 99, collected on a Saturday and going to run it in going to Le-Mans for bike 24 hour the following week, phone rings on Tuesday....stop riding it the factory have phoned saying it has the wrong bolts inside the motor and the plating is flaking off and blocking the oil ways.....

They pay a mechanic to work on the bike over night... collect the following day and catch the Thursday night boat, on the way home it blew a head gasket...in those days you could still talk direct with the factory, ‘We’ll fix it’ no you effing well won’t and after some argy bargy another turned up a week later, the 885i was a pile of shite anyway, Triumph very quickly got their act together and dumped the motor and produced the 955 which is a different animal bought one in April 2001 and still have it, although not remotely stock and jeez we have been everywhere on it, spends most of its life nowhere days under a dust sheet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first motorised two wheeled introduction to riding at 16 was a Lambretta SX150 which always seemed to need working on. Used to carry spare cables for clutch and throttle as they always seemed to be breaking but was my ticket to 'freedom'. Kept it for 10 months then traded up to a new Suzuki T250J for £347 in August '72 - still on L plates - great fun :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree with Wazza - Dorsoduro 750, went from a Superduke 990 and did about 300 fore selling it.

Also Suzuki TS185ERN - pile of crap.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I only paid about £100 for it in 1985 and it had had a hard life and suspect it was not one of the best examples of that model.

When I moved house 12 years ago I found it hidden at the back of the garage and gave it away - looking on Ebay at the moment and I could have got about £1500 for it.:LOL:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm really surprised the Dorsoduro 750 is getting a slating, looks a nice bike and at 95hp it shouldn't be shite.
I thought about getting one a couple of years ago... glad I didn't now.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts