KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
X2 on the CD 200 Benly - an air leak kept the motor revving going downhill towards a roundabout in the wet - its only because it was so gutless that I managed to slow it down enough to get round it by the equally shite drum brakes. I ended up giving it to a mates lads school to build a go-kart out of.................

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Dorsoduro was gutless if it was in 'rain' mode...as with most bikes with 'modes' it was snatchy in 'sport' and great in normal.
I rode a demo one and considered it to replace the 950. I also rode a Street Triple. They were both nice, but I decided that neither was practical transport. A year or so later, I was at a business meeting. I rode there on my 950 Adv, another guy rocked up on a Street Triple. It was a wet day. I was a bit damp, he had a strip of filth then went up his back, and had penetrated the bag he had his paperwork in. The water from the back tyre had hit his helmet and run down his collar. It looked like he had been hung by his heels and shat himself!
So many bikes now don't have back mudguards, just a stupid ugly flap on the swinging arm. In the name of God, why?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a CB200, with a great engine and terrible everything else, including cable-operated front disc!
But my worst bike ever was a Husky TE610E...great spec on paper, but jetted wrong from the factory, and very unreliable.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Armstrong 250 enduro 1981.
Looked like it would be great as it had top class components. Rotax disk valve engine, marazochi forks, ohlins shock, akront wheels, fresco exhaust etc, etc.
Then Armstrong added a fibreglass tank that leaked fuel everywhere, painted it with water soluble paint and bolted the lot together with cheese based fasteners. Fucking shocking mess.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bit of a controversial one this one, given it's cult status, but it was a K6 SV650s.

It was my first big bike after passing my test and had to restrict it to 33BHP via the ECU, so it was gutless past 6000rpm just where it wanted to get going. It also had the stock bazooka exhaust on it so it sounded like a wet fart. The woodruff key went after 100 miles.

The previous owner had also lowered it via the dog bones on the linkage, so it was like riding a very long (and low) shitting dog.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Honde CD200 Benly with a massive Polaris fairing. Cant for the life of remember what I was drinking when I bought it but it was an abolute crock... 50mph with 4 gears!
I had the 185 Benly. Was really reliable and topped out at 70ish. Good bike, if a little boring.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
I replaced my Husky with a CCM 404DS...in comparison to the Husky it was perfect!
That husky must have been REALLY bad to make the CCM shine! One of the group had one years ago, it was like a clown's bike - ejecting parts off on a regular basis .......

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
My first road bike was a Honda CB77 305cc (I'd passed my test on a pal's CB160 - remember the ad which was it was so smooth you could rev it with a threepenny bit on the tank) which was an overbored CB72 250cc. VRM was BVK400B. Had a rev counter, electric start, kick start went forward!. It was soooo fast compared to my brother's BSA Barracuda and Norton Jubilee twin.. Until it holed a piston then seized the crank. Good fun while it lasted though to be fair.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Jesus...went into a cold sweat at the mention of a Norton Jubilee...my first learning curve in bikes it got ditched within weeks......made sure everything after that had ‘Made in Japan’ stamped on it

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
1976 Honda CJ250T.
Heavy, gutless and a torpedo for a silencer. Kept it 3 months then bought a KH250.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Jesus...went into a cold sweat at the mention of a Norton Jubilee...my first learning curve in bikes it got ditched within weeks......made sure everything after that had ‘Made in Japan’ stamped on it
I thought I had expunged all memories of my Norton Jubilee but you have driven me to head for the Port bottle.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That husky must have been REALLY bad to make the CCM shine! One of the group had one years ago, it was like a clown's bike - ejecting parts off on a regular basis .......
I liked mine...the only bad thing about it was the airbox design, I suspect it was designed by a bloke who had previously worked for Atco making grass collection boxes for lawn mowers. It was saddled with a close-ratio 5-speed box though, which made it very busy on the road.
There was one day though when I changed the oil and it wouldn't start afterwards. I never found out what was wrong, but took it all apart, cleaned it up, put it back together and it started and ran like a watch.
It was so clean, I could not bear the prospect of getting it dirty again, so sold it to a collector for £600 more than I paid for it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Suzuki A100, all I could afford at 17, looked shit and was shit, bought it for £195 and that was overpriced. Luckliy for me all the other bikes I've owned since then have been great in their own way and none have really given me any problems..

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
I'm really surprised the Dorsoduro 750 is getting a slating, looks a nice bike and at 95hp it shouldn't be shite.
I thought about getting one a couple of years ago... glad I didn't now.
It wasn’t 95hp they blagged it, mine made 74hp on the dyno and it was 206kg wet, so the same power as a 690 SMCR but 50-60kg heavier, it was wank

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've had about 50 bikes, mostly enduro & trials. By far the worst was 1983 KDX 175. YSA 51Y. Siezed it big time & went through 2 kick start shafts. Was repaired & swiftly traded in for a brand new XR 250 which eventually had the 280 kit fitted.
Happy days. currently riding RFS models.

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
I've had about 50 bikes, mostly enduro & trials. By far the worst was 1983 KDX 175. YSA 51Y. Siezed it big time & went through 2 kick start shafts. Was repaired & swiftly traded in for a brand new XR 250 which eventually had the 280 kit fitted.
Happy days. currently riding RFS models.
50 bikes ? Pffffttttttt . . .

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also had 83 ish KDX 175, was okay when it ran, but it used to coke up a lot, it also completely seized. Took the bike shop ages to get parts, rebuilt did about 4o miles and it nipped up again. Took it back got a KL250 which was shit n slow but al least it was reliable

21 - 40 of 56 Posts