KTM Owners Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the 185 Benly. Was really reliable and topped out at 70ish. Good bike, if a little boring.
I am guessing yours didnt have 30sqft of fibreglass horribleness gaffer taped to the front of it!!! Even the screen was enormous and had gone a shitty turd colour with crazy paving all over it so much that you couldnt see through it in the sun and gawd-elp you if you cought a side wind. Probably a good job it only just moved.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Jeez - some of my favourites have got a mention (I loved my KDX175:))

Gonna add my no 2 choice to the list. A 1974 (I think) CCM B50 engined motocrosser. Why ? Simple. It was a death trap !. I bought it off a mate who didn’t dare ride it again - He’d lifted the front wheel @ 50mph and the fork sliders fell off the stanchions. The fork legs dug into the grass, bike stopped dead and he went straight to A&E with a broken collarbone and left arm. Never rode it again.

When I got it the back shocks were fcuk’d - absolutely no damping whatsoever. Every time it hit a bump it would try its best to buck you over the handlebars. Being young and skint at the time I thought I’d just never back off and therefore keep the front up. It had vicious steel foot pegs that didn’t fold fully - took a lump out of my shin that I still have the scar from to this day. You took you life in your hands starting it - anything less than total commitment and it would kick back so hard you couldn’t walk for a week. If it kicked back when you‘d really kicked it hard it could break your foot ..... Which it did to one of my mates.

Finally, it was easily the loudest bike I‘ve ever had .... For those of you who’ve been to Santa Pod think ”single cylinder top fueller”. It really did make your ears bleed, enough to to quickly break through any courage you’d worked up before you went to ride it. I still associate fear with the smell of Castrol R even now.

It came 2nd on my personal list because it actually was quite fast and really exciting to ride - you genuinely felt like you’d achieved something if you got home without injury (pain was a foregone conclusion)

·
Premium Member
8,200 Posts
Jeez - some of my favourites have got a mention (I loved my KDX175:))

Gonna add my no 2 choice to the list. A 1974 (I think) CCM B50 engined motocrosser. Why ? Simple. It was a death trap !. I bought it off a mate who didn’t dare ride it again - He’d lifted the front wheel @ 50mph and the fork sliders fell off the stanchions. The fork legs dug into the grass, bike stopped dead and he went straight to A&E with a broken collarbone and left arm. Never rode it again.

When I got it the back shocks were fcuk’d - absolutely no damping whatsoever. Every time it hit a bump it would try its best to buck you over the handlebars. Being young and skint at the time I thought I’d just never back off and therefore keep the front up. It had vicious steel foot pegs that didn’t fold fully - took a lump out of my shin that I still have the scar from to this day. You took you life in your hands starting it - anything less than total commitment and it would kick back so hard you couldn’t walk for a week. If it kicked back when you‘d really kicked it hard it could break your foot ..... Which it did to one of my mates.

Finally, it was easily the loudest bike I‘ve ever had .... For those of you who’ve been to Santa Pod think ”single cylinder top fueller”. It really did make your ears bleed, enough to to quickly break through any courage you’d worked up before you went to ride it. I still associate fear with the smell of Castrol R even now.

It came 2nd on my personal list because it actually was quite fast and really exciting to ride - you genuinely felt like you’d achieved something if you got home without injury (pain was a foregone conclusion)
Not a knobbly knees contest, but we should have chunks out of shins contest. Ohww, makes me wince even now and those holes healed 35 years ago....

·
Registered
16,425 Posts
Can this thread be limited to one or two lines or preferably photos only? I don't want peoples life stories about shit bikes they've had.
People aren't that bloody interesting, can we get that clear.
It's evident in the covid farkin thread.
Friggin thesis of bollocks. Soooo much waffle.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Can this thread be limited to one or two lines or preferably photos only? I don't want peoples life stories about shit bikes they've had.
People aren't that bloody interesting, can we get that clear.
It's evident in the covid farkin thread.
Friggin thesis of bollocks. Soooo much waffle.
This was shit but it was my first motorbike so of course I loved it.
Panther with a Villiers 2T 250 twin,

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Suzuki SV1000 in the GSXR colours. Massively high expectations from me, bought new but was a cheap piece of shit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was give a MZ (125 I think), it ran for awhile after a good fettling but after riding it, it wouldn’t start so got dumped at the back of the garage - what a pile of sh!t!! Weighed it in, best thing for it!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Zzr600 that was streetfightered by the bloke I bought it from. Looked like shit, ran like shit. Proper piece of shit 😅

·
Registered
73 Posts
‘89 Honda XR250, wanted a reliable first big bike. Was a piece of shit, never ran right, cam chain snapped, cylinder cracked etc etc

41 - 56 of 56 Posts