KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Any thoughts on the best lock and chain out there? Preferably able to withstand the dreaded scrote tool of choice - the battery angle grinder.

Any real world experience greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Chains will only buy you seconds, as will anything a thief can get a slitting disc on a battery grinder to, waste of money. I doubt there is a chain out there a slitting disc will not cut through.
steel door with no visable way of opening it is what you need, think outside the box, bespoke. These scum are the lowest of the low and thick as pig shit if they can not see a lock to cut off they will give up, why WORK for a "living"!!!!!!!
Pointless buying anything mass produced as they will be aware of it which makes it easy to get around.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bespoke - thinking about getting a hinged/rotating door barrier with a hidden lock made up. Already sketched something up.

Lengths you have to go to.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Almax series IV here for me too. But i don't think anything can stop the angle grinder. It's not possible i think.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Look at the sold secure ratings, but I think the best chains will get you about 5 minutes - depends how long scrotes think they have, I think a problem is if they can get in your garage when you are out they have lots of time, and these days some don't seem too bothered about spending 5 minutes grinding a chain in the middle of a town centre at rush hour.

Still, 5 minutes or so of grinding might be more than they want to do, if you have a chain around each wheel that becomes 10 minutes.

If you can get a big u-lock and feed that through something else that might work better - or 2 U-Locks linking 2 bikes together maybe, carrying one Enduro bike to a van might not be too difficult, but two of them would be a challenge.

Make the garage harder to get into, and maybe look at the cost of an alarm, even better one that has those smoke thingies that go off so the scrotes will not be able to see bugger all - I think you should be allowed to fill them with cyanide gas and just removes these oxygen thieves from society.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
When my bikes are not being used I normally remove the wheels and keep them somewhere else, chain bike to the paddock stand, disconnect the fuel line. They have to carry it away, makes it harder, it's all you can do, slow them down, I have additional security at my house which they will not be expecting

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Have you thought about a wi fi camera? We have a Reolink concealed in our workshop. Only cost around £80. It pans and tilts, reacts to noise and sends instant alerts to our phones via the free app Good night vision (our place is always dark as we have no windows). Very reliable. I was in the workshop when we first go it and discovered another thing it does - my son was in Tenerife and spoke to me via the camera speaker as he got an alert. Big peace of mind, We have loads of other security, but this is one of the best. Bob

·
Registered
969 Posts
Fortnine on youtube just compared security chains, etc. Worth a watch.
But yeah, nothing will stand up to a 1mm slitting disk. Only problem is grinders are noisey as hell, and only the most brazen tea leaf will use them.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all very much. I have been able formulate a plan for a few additional measures .....

........ just a shame that they are needed.

I wonder boris is going to honour his promise of more police? ......... (sense the sarcasm)

·
Registered
442 Posts
At the moment my bike lives in my dads garage with his bike while my garage is being built. There is a main door which is alarmed, an then 4ft in from that is a steel door, so if anyine gets in, they then havr about 30 seconds to get through the steel door before the alarm goes off, then have to deal with the chains and locks. Mine is locked with a 16mm chain Package Deal: Protector 16mm Chain, Squire SS65CS Lock, High Security Chain and Lock deals, P16-x.x-SS65 from SecurityForBikes, by Pragmasis through a shackle bolted to the floor Torc Ground Anchor, Ground Anchors, TorcAnchor from SecurityForBikes, by Pragmasis. Ill be getting another ground anchor for my garage when its built and putting an alarm and cctv in.all you can do is make it as much hassle as you can so they make lots of noise and waste time and home then leave before taking anyine.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you thought about a wi fi camera? We have a Reolink concealed in our workshop. Only cost around £80. It pans and tilts, reacts to noise and sends instant alerts to our phones via the free app Good night vision (our place is always dark as we have no windows). Very reliable. I was in the workshop when we first go it and discovered another thing it does - my son was in Tenerife and spoke to me via the camera speaker as he got an alert. Big peace of mind, We have loads of other security, but this is one of the best. Bob

Is this the one Bob?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have a different model which is 240V, but there are several different types in their range. I can't really stress enough how good they are. I have friends who have CCTV which would only show some unidentifiable hoodies after the crime has been done. The alert on our smart phones ( up to 6 phones) is instant when we start to unlock the workshop. We sometimes get a false alert due to the wind, but you just click on the app, have a look and pan and tilt the camera to suit if needed. Good security in conjunction with other bits and pieces. So sorry to hear about your bikes. Bob

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bob ...... l will look at their range in more detail. Getting some additional features in place to deal with this partucular vermin problem. Still cant come to terms with it and getting angrier tbh.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Hi, we have the Reolink C1 Pro but you are best to do your own research. We got a great signal with Three then changed to BT and had to buy a wi fi extender (£25 from Currys) which is just a wee plug in box in our conservatory. We have a big garden so the workshop is a bit away from the house but no signal problems whatsoever. With the 'popularity' of battery grinders which some quieten with an insulating bag of sawdust, then our community needs to look beyond just locks and chains. Most people ignore alarms, particularly during the day so the remote smart camera is a good answer. Regrds, Bob

1 - 20 of 55 Posts