KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hi, we have the Reolink C1 Pro but you are best to do your own research. We got a great signal with Three then changed to BT and had to buy a wi fi extender (£25 from Currys) which is just a wee plug in box in our conservatory. We have a big garden so the workshop is a bit away from the house but no signal problems whatsoever. With the 'popularity' of battery grinders which some quieten with an insulating bag of sawdust, then our community needs to look beyond just locks and chains. Most people ignore alarms, particularly during the day so the remote smart camera is a good answer. Regrds, Bob
Do these work on a SIM card if there is no WiFi available?

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the additional info Bob - the wifi extender is a good tip as coverage is not the best away from the house.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I don't think the C1Pro works off a SIM, but Reolink (and other brands) do make models where no wi fi is available. Good value for around £70 and no hassle to install.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you can run a cable, just a POE IP camera and power injector would do the job. Give us the length and I'll make you up an external lead. You'd have to add a DVR with Sim for recording and mobile alerts. Or just use PC.

Thanks Charlie - l have pm'd you (y)

·
Registered
983 Posts
If you have the space in your garage then what about a concrete block storage box with secure door. Those hollow concrete blocks with two big holes in , post re bar down the holes and fill with concrete and then cap the lid/ roof with concrete with reinforcing mesh. I wouldn't have thought it would cost too much if you DIY it. Maybe make the door out of steel and wood mixing materials so you can't cut with a disc. Then for belt and braces a ground anchor within the enclosure. One look at that and the hard work involved in getting in and I would have thought they would bugger off to get stoned/ pilled up elsewhere. Over the top of that you could build shelves to try and re claim a bit of storage space.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good idea that, but no space for that unfortunatly. I am working on other measures at the moment, based on metalwork.

I like those hollow blocks - very adaptable (have used them before for plinth walls were you can concrete in M12 thread bar to mount a plate to to build timber frame off from)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hello,

Any thoughts on the best lock and chain out there? Preferably able to withstand the dreaded scrote tool of choice - the battery angle grinder.

Any real world experience greatly appreciated.

Cheers
I've got an Abus Granit D Lock for "out & about" use - About £250, but it looks very well designed indeed and won several "Best D Lock" tests.

Another tip - It you've got an "up & over" garage door then consider Gaffer Taping a bottom weighted sheet the same size as the door along the top edge. When the door opens the sheet hangs down so you still cant see in. As has been said before - best defence is not knowing stuffs there (or being able to Recce security measures)

·
Registered
504 Posts
(I'm on a roll now).

Here's a security Idea from one of my son's MTB mates.

(He's got a single garage that's part of the house. )

Bought a steel scaffold pole, cut length to fit across garage & into a socket in the brickwork on the "outside" wall, then pass right through the wall on other side of garage into the house (cupboard under the stairs). Put a 1" steel weight lifting bar into the scaffold tube then Welded caps to ends - one end with M10 threaded hole in it.

Here's the clever bit - he then filled the tube with oil before sealing with a plug in the M10 hole.

MTB's stand in a row inside garage "skewered" through the frames with the pole. One end of pole fits into reinforced socket in outside wall, other end passes through wall and gets locked with padlock & bracket from inside the house.

The idea is that if a grinder or saw attack is made once the scaffold pole is punctured the oil floods the blade (a surprise of course) - making a grinder pretty much useless. Also, the weightlifting bar is loose inside the tube and oily - tends to rotate or spin. Very difficult to bend.

Never tested in anger ..... but pretty clever and not too expensive I thought.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That is a brilliant idea! Worthy of dragons den .....

..... having similar thoughts re door security.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Grinders don’t like loose stuff, so loose bits of aluminium (clogs the blade) or even concrete inside box sections will slow them massively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
(I'm on a roll now).

Bought a steel scaffold pole, cut length to fit across garage & into a socket in the brickwork on the "outside" wall, then pass right through the wall on other side of garage into the house (cupboard under the stairs). Put a 1" steel weight lifting bar into the scaffold tube then Welded caps to ends - one end with M10 threaded hole in it.

Here's the clever bit - he then filled the tube with oil before sealing with a plug in the M10 hole.

MTB's stand in a row inside garage "skewered" through the frames with the pole. One end of pole fits into reinforced socket in outside wall, other end passes through wall and gets locked with padlock & bracket from inside the house.

The idea is that if a grinder or saw attack is made once the scaffold pole is punctured the oil floods the blade (a surprise of course) - making a grinder pretty much useless. Also, the weightlifting bar is loose inside the tube and oily - tends to rotate or spin. Very difficult to bend.

I like that but replace the oil with petrol, SUPER unleaded for a bigger BANG! :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you can try to chain upwards so it doesn't lay on the floor. A big enough bolt cutter can get through a pretty big chain if one handle can be rested on the floor and body weight applied.

Pad lock the door to ground (inside or out) that way even if the door gets smashed in it still can't be pushed out of the way. That saved my bike once, and having a simple disk lock (and a neighbour shouting at them) saved it the first time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
No, just over enthusiastic with an SDS drill, with the assumption I was drilling into a 9" wall :-(

·
Registered
478 Posts
(I'm on a roll now).

This sounds good, but as my brother recently found out, if they cant cut it out and take it, they smash their way in to your home while your family are in it to get the keys.
I have been thinking long and hard about it:
  • Risk these thugs smashing their way in to my family home and threatening child / girlfriend
  • The harder it gets, the more damage they do to my garage door, wall, roof, house etc. All of which costs thousands of pounds to make good.
  • The police could hardly be bothered to turn up on the second break in at my brothers home. They ask if there were trackers on the bike = No. Oh well, not much we can do then.
  • If the thugs get caught, sue them for compensation - well this allows the thug and their associates to know where you live (having already broken in once, they know anyway). How many payments do you think they will make before coming back to your home and burning it down.
If you are dealing with 3 or 4 youths out for some fun it may work out ok. If it's a bike theft ring, you are fucked.

Sounding all doom and gloom with it, but I just feel you are more damned if you do than if you dont.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
as my brother recently found out, if they cant cut it out and take it, they smash their way in to your home while your family are in it to get the keys.
This is not the norm so shouldn't be the working assumption.
Making it easier for them to take things will only make it more likely to happen.
If all bike thefts required a house break in there would be a lot less of them, and the ones that did happen would be taken more seriously by the Police as the potential for personal harm is greater.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts