KTM Owners Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Problem also is that police need an unbelievable amount of evidence to get a conviction. I will demonstrate this when my current situation is resolved. Its fucking crazy.

The combined impacts of theft on the victim is unbelievable. I am glad that l am recuperating from an op which has given me time to trawl through the minefield of police/insurance/recovery/storage/security etc.

Its almost enough to question anything 2 wheeled at the moment.

The situation has to change before too long, its just not acceptable.

Something wrong with society.

Surely all the crims should now be out on the streets delivering food and whatever else and leave the army to do police etc work?

·
Registered
478 Posts
This is not the norm so shouldn't be the working assumption.
Making it easier for them to take things will only make it more likely to happen.
If all bike thefts required a house break in there would be a lot less of them, and the ones that did happen would be taken more seriously by the Police as the potential for personal harm is greater.
By no means did I mean make it easier, my bikes are locked up with 16mm chains, ground anchor, audible padlock alarms, disc locks. They still have to use their tools to get at them, without this the insurance wouldnt give you a penny.

Car theft rings have been breaking in to houses to take key fobs for years. As the demand grows and risk to thieves lessons, so these techniques get moved to other gangs. Why break a sweat when you can just take the keys. Unless you have video evidence of said thug, without a hoodie/face mask on, explaining step by step what he is doing to take your vehicle, gets caught sat on top of vehicle and provides a full confession, he will just deny it and is released with a telling off. Do you need to put up warning signs saying CCTV in use so that they are aware they are being recorded? Will this evidence be allowed in court if you dont have those warning signs?
Home defense in this country is bloody difficult to prove in court. Heaven forbid you have a shotgun and use it on a knife/pole/bat wielding intruder. That is an unfair advantage and you will likely serve several years in jail, while your family fends for themselves. Fuck sake even if you dont hit the intruder the police will arrest you for discharging the weapon in the house as a warning shot.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
1. Do you need to put up warning signs saying CCTV in use so that they are aware they are being recorded?
2. Will this evidence be allowed in court if you dont have those warning signs?
3. Fuck sake even if you dont hit the intruder the police will arrest you for discharging the weapon in the house as a warning shot.
1. No
2. Yes
3. If you have a license for that firearm you will be fine. If not you will be charged.

What's the answer.. I dunno.. but to protect yourself from the law you must not break the law whilst trying to protect yourself from the thief. That is just the reality of the situation as it currently is.
Reasonable force is allowed but if you go further than that you will have to answer for it.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
regarding number 1: if you are recording your own property no, if you are recording public property ie: pavements etc then the answer is yes

·
Registered
969 Posts
Even that is allowed without needing signs, as public spaces are define as "public" so there is no expectation of privacy.
This ^
I got into a neighbour dispute donkeys years ago, and I put cctv up pointed at their house. Police came around and said can't do that. Can aim at road, to watch your car, and your property.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The law protects criminals a lot more than victims these days, too many loony lefties, loony liberals and "Snow Flakes" as Don Likes to call them.

More likely to locked up for speeding than knifing someone.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Even that is allowed without needing signs, as public spaces are define as "public" so there is no expectation of privacy.
I beg to differ mate :
  • Recording public spaces – If you also capture footage from areas outside your home (e.g. other people’s gardens or a public footpath), then you are required to inform people that they’re being monitored. Even if a public area is only partially being captured, then you will need to make a sign informing people that they’re being recorded.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I beg to differ mate :
  • Recording public spaces – If you also capture footage from areas outside your home (e.g. other people’s gardens or a public footpath), then you are required to inform people that they’re being monitored. Even if a public area is only partially being captured, then you will need to make a sign informing people that they’re being recorded.
What is the source of this info please?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yeh, I was looking on that site too.
Technically you are correct, seems things changed when the GDPR act came in (2018). However in practise we'll be fine with door bell cameras or none zoom-able domestic level CCTV. These cameras have a short focus length and a very wide angle so are unlikely to capture meaningful info at a distance greater than your driveway. People in the street are unlikely to be identifiable and car registration plates won't be readable, that is unless your door is very close to the curb.

Another thing that leads me to believe that this ICO stuff is really aimed at professional CCTV setups (and businesses) is this section here;

The final line on that page states
"However, in most CCTV-related disputes between neighbours, the ICO will not consider it appropriate or proportionate to take enforcement action against the CCTV user. "

Which I translate to them saying "please don't complain to us about your neighbours video door bell".

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
tbh its a very grey area as far as the law is concerned , I have cctv overlooking my drive and the pavement so I have put signs up , to cover my arse and as a deterrent (y)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts