KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a nice bimble on the lanes today, plenty of walkers but most were friendly and gave a wave.

Had one issue, bottom bolt on the front caliper worked itself loose and fell off. Front brake seized. Fuck. I was miles away. I managed to get the caliper off but the pads were fucked. Stood around for a while trying to work out what to do to get home then found that the bolt that's uses for the steering stops fitted on the caliper so manages to bodge it for the day. Note to self, use loctite on anything important.

l

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yep. They should be loctited from the factory. Anything with factory loctite gets cleaned and new loctite applied every time it comes off.

My mate had the same thing happen at a race and I was gobsmacked that he didn't loctite the caliper bolts!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Are they still using set pins (threaded all the way down) it there? should be proper bolts with the shank through the fork bottom.

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
Have you had the caliper off Adam? Should be loctited at the factory (not sure what they use, but it doesnt look like the blue 243)

Never be tempted to use your red loctite if you run out of 243 (dont ask!)

·
Administrator
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are they still using set pins (threaded all the way down) it there? should be proper bolts with the shank through the fork bottom.
Threaded all the way from one end to the other.

·
Administrator
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you had the caliper off Adam? Should be loctited at the factory (not sure what they use, but it doesnt look like the blue 243)

Never be tempted to use your red loctite if you run out of 243 (dont ask!)
My own fault as I've had the caliper of plenty of times in the last 3 years.

·
Administrator
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, sorry ..... thought you were talking about the 690 not the 350.
Cant ride the 690 this weekend as the forks and shock are at FTR for some upgrades

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
. Why wouldn't everyone use 243 and torque to 25nm. Don't want to knock you off but...…………….! We only buy new bikes and the factory threadlocker is fine until you remove the bolt(s). We use dies to clean the various size threads before reinstalling with Loctite. Good practice to get into. Bob.

·
Administrator
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
. Why wouldn't everyone use 243 and torque to 25nm. Don't want to knock you off but...…………….! We only buy new bikes and the factory threadlocker is fine until you remove the bolt(s). We use dies to clean the various size threads before reinstalling with Loctite. Good practice to get into. Bob.
Bob, you're absolutely right, I have no excuse on this one, I'll go and sit in th the naughty corner for a bit.

·
Administrator
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Front being upgraded with Ktech OVRS kit (similar to dal soggio), new springs etc. Just want to get then plush and handle better. Stick suspension is not great.

·
Administrator
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Good fix! I don’t think I would have thought of the lock stops. I guess a possible alternative would be to borrow 1 bolt from the lower triple clamp.

I had a similar scenario out in the woods on the MTB yesterday when the derailleur decided to dismantle itself, amazingly I managed to back track and find all the missing parts, with the exception of one washer. The bearing spacer was the last bit to find and I’d almost given up at that point.
Good thing to be able to ride home though, it would have been several miles walk.

Now loctited ready for the next ride!

·
Administrator
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I reckon I'll be out next weekend, first real outing on the 690 and I should have the new suspension in. Maybeven have thr power commander too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts