KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm an Adventure owner looking to change to the rc8. The adventure's a good bike but it now only ever sees tarmac so a road bike seems more appropriate. Off-roading is no longer (for me) a reason for owning the ADV because this amount of weight going wrong (very easily) is an easy broken bone scenario plus in the UK there's not many places you can take them... Occasionally I like the odd 3000 mile trip abroad but I want to know if anybody really does this on an rc8 and if you do, how'd you get your kit around with you?

If this is possible how comfy (for a bike like this) is the ride and how long before you have to get off the bike for stretch..?

Cheers in advance... Rob

The above may seem like a daft question but wasn't it Nick Sanders who rode around the world on an R1..
Yes I've considered the SMT but again it's hellishly tall and I'm trying to get away from that... :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Bob

Sure it will be fine, I did just short of 3k earlier this year on my R1 and that was fine on my arse. My 8 is a better riding position as it's so adjustable, so much more comfortable. I have a 2500 mile europe trip coming up again in June next year and I can't wait to try the seat out. Look on the bright side, glass half empty an all that. Go on you know deep down an RC8R is the way forward.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
i would recomend the ventura system ,not used it yet but have acquired some bits of ebay and it looks like a good system.Did 350 miles on the bike the other day with no probs ,more comfortable than my old zx9r

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
i would recomend the ventura system ,not used it yet but have acquired some bits of ebay and it looks like a good system.
I'd recommend trying to carry things in a bowl mounted to the top of your helmet, not used it yet but got some off eBay and seems like good stuff ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Bob

Sure it will be fine, I did just short of 3k earlier this year on my R1 and that was fine on my arse. My 8 is a better riding position as it's so adjustable, so much more comfortable. I have a 2500 mile europe trip coming up again in June next year and I can't wait to try the seat out. Look on the bright side, glass half empty an all that. Go on you know deep down an RC8R is the way forward.
+1 - done long trips over the years on bikes like ZX9R, 955 Daytona and Fireblade, but the '8 must be the comfiest of the lot (once all the adjustments set to the 'old man' position):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I'd recommend trying to carry things in a bowl mounted to the top of your helmet, not used it yet but got some off eBay and seems like good stuff ;)
cmon man why you saying that ,i work for Ventura .... nah me little bro has the ventura system on his 1098 and he can fit a shit load of stuff on his bike with no probs ,so thats why i decided to get the same system .Could you post the link for the bowl on ebay FT i'm most interested :wanker:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob

All sounds good. I can't give up those long trips, so much more fun than Snake Pass.

I'm off to the bike show this year to sit on the RC8 and a Fireblade to compare the 2 on first impressions. I guess I can sort out a test ride at Colwyn Bay for the RC8..

Tried the bowl thing with fruit and stuff, quite effective ;-)

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
cmon man why you saying that ,i work for Ventura .... nah me little bro has the ventura system on his 1098 and he can fit a shit load of stuff on his bike with no probs ,so thats why i decided to get the same system .Could you post the link for the bowl on ebay FT i'm most interested :wanker:
I'd prefer not to, to be honest. I intend to buy them all up and sell them on for a profit. This is a photo of me arriving at work this morning having ridden through the Leeds sunshine... you can keep your Ventura. Bowls all the way!

Reactions: hextal

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I'd prefer not to, to be honest. I intend to buy them all up and sell them on for a profit. This is a photo of me arriving at work this morning having ridden through the Leeds sunshine... you can keep your Ventura. Bowls all the way!

FT you just got back from holiday ,man you got a tan

·
Registered
392 Posts

Hey mate your heads on upside down :eek::rotflmao:

Reactions: Fat Tony

·
Registered
7,985 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts

Looks like you got one of VT's shirts on!!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Having never had the pleasure of meeting FT, i must say old boy you look like a very cheery chap:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've used the ventura system on a GSXR1000 and Triumph Street Triple and in both cases was dead easy to fit. Only had my RC8 for a couple of days but if I've still got it next summer I'm definately getting the Ventura hardware for it. Ventura to a range of bags which will hold enough stuff for a good Euro trip even with all the tat we have to take through France now.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I've used the ventura system on a GSXR1000 and Triumph Street Triple and in both cases was dead easy to fit. Only had my RC8 for a couple of days but if I've still got it next summer I'm definately getting the Ventura hardware for it. Ventura to a range of bags which will hold enough stuff for a good Euro trip even with all the tat we have to take through France now.
Interesting, but how will it compare to Ventura's 2013 revision...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts