KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a real dilhemma...:frown:

I like my 250 because it is light, easy to maintain and VERY powerful...trouble is, the power...!!!

It is too 'full on' if you know what I mean, it demands respect and total concentration (from me anyway :rolleyes:)

I have discovered that the bike is a lot better than I am and I want something that will help me develop rather than scare the shite out of me when I ride it...:redface:

I would class myself as a competent rider, I can get across/up/over/around pretty much most obstacles (not necessarily the fastest :p) but I will have a go at anything, thing is I would like more low down lazy torque without such a scary transition to the power....AND a leccy boot...!!!

From what I have read the 300 2t is closer to what I am after, it has the lowdown grunt without having to be on the pipe, and the advantages of less weight and easier maintenance...it also has the speed for the open sections where I am not frightened if giving it a bit...:D

The 250exc-f looks easier to ride with nice linear power and good grunt, but would the cost of maintenance for valves, cam chains etc. and the extra weight be a negative???:confused:

Electric start is definately a MUST, I went round to open the sections of the two day trials in the isle of man last weekend, and having to stop and start the bike loads of times.....with a severely bruised arse and a broken coccyx :censored: was NOT GOOD...!!!

How much should I get for my bike and how much will a suitable bike cost, do you think???

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
my mate has some sort of stealthy flywheel weight on his 200exc and it makes it loads easier and manageable to ride couldn' you try that?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my mate has some sort of stealthy flywheel weight on his 200exc and it makes it loads easier and manageable to ride couldn' you try that?
Now that is the only thing I haven't considered...I have done the power spring and gearing, but it still leaves the leccy boot...:frown:

·
Registered
640 Posts
250 exc-f sounds ideal for you,unfortunately im not local or id let you try mine....ask nicely im sure some kind soul on here will let you try theirs.

I originally bought a 450 and found it was far more power than i would personally need off road, i then borrowed a 200 and 250 two stroke and didnt like the power delivery.

The 250 exc-f i have now is ideal,it has lots of smooth tractable power,but is certainly not slow,i can keep up with mates on 450's etc easily now as im just happier and more confident on the bike.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
250 exc-f sounds ideal for you,unfortunately im not local or id let you try mine....ask nicely im sure some kind soul on here will let you try theirs.
Cheers davers,

My lad has just swapped his KX85 for a yamaha TTR-125 and the difference in his riding is amazing...He is far more confident and getting a lot more from the bike as he isn't frightened of it (he is 12 and fairly new to motorbikes) he is now able to tackle most things he comes across and rarely has both wheels on the floor ;) :rolleyes:

I do need to try a couple of bikes to make sure I get the right one this time....I don't have the finances to keep changing!!!!

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
dave,

the 2010 250 i bought was a fantatsic its just wasnt for me so i've bought a 250f instead which is more me and suits my lazy riding style better.

If the 250 is to much then the 300 is going to be worse, much worse. Yes you can ride it on the grunt but you cant all the time it needs to be revved to clear its throat otherwise it will just foul the plug, put it this way the 250 are tame compared to the 300's

You can jet the power away in your 250 by making it rich which will calm it down loads.

anyway sort a we ride out locally and you can have a play on the 250f.

Mark.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The 300 like any other bike can be jetted for tight going ( i have the right jetting specs for anyone) plus using the green spring means less hit! this is difficult on the smaller 250 as there is less torque so you need to ride it harder and thus you get the hit! As the 300 is far more torquey the green spring only takes the hit away!

The 300 has been voted the off road bike of the year by many magazines there is a reason for that! and ease of riding is one!

·
Registered
181 Posts
plus 1 on what marshy said.

the 300 is a much tamer bike than the 250 2t if you jet it/set it up so and ride it so. its slower reving than the 250, is much more like a 4t to ride, and can easily be described as an old mans bike - as i have heard! BUT- if you want it to rip- it will.

a lot depends on your riding style- i cant race a 250exc 2t anywhere like as fast as my 300, i just cant handle the the on the pipe riding style required for it- its not my style. (half decent clubman level)

i have ridden the 300 "off the pipe" all day long out playin and never fouled a plug, but like MArshy said- jet it properly. i change plugs once a year on the 2ts - i feel i ought to!

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
You ridden it in anger yet ,Mark ?
yes, its not an excf its one of the very last xc-f with the close ratio box and it goes like fuck when you want it to and for me and how i ride its just right, just got to tickle the suspenders a little for my stature :D:D

I found from my experiance the wide ratio box on the 250f leaves mahooosive holes in the power when you need it unless you weigh next to fuckall but with the close ratio box, the better cams/cdi/pipe and so on its really ticks the boxes and wants to go all the time but in a linear way not like a 2st where its more all or nothing type of delivery and i wont spend 6k yet on the new 350 until all the little bugs which are causing the dnf's to be ironed out first

·
Premium Member
3,691 Posts
42's in the front (120 air gap)and a 76 in the back works well for me.

I tried 44's but found they were giving my arms/shoulders a hard time.

I've not struggled with the Exc-f wide ratios......Yet :D

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
the latest xc-f come with the dual chamber forks, and 76 in the rear is a bit to stiff for me gone for 72.

If you ride the wider rider box a bit lazy when you wack the throttle open it goes boooooorrrrrrrhhhhhh bog cough stop cough and go again in general you can jet it so it doesst do it as bad but you dont get the punch like you do with the mx box in any gear at virtually any revs the only problem is your flat out at 65-70 in sixth where the exc-f is good for 85

dont worry mark an xcf-w is on the shopping list as a trail bike, theres nowt wrong with the wide ration box i just prefer the close ratio setup on the track it makes sense trial riding it doesnt.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have you considered a mapping switch for your 250?

Also, many people seem to think they are "taming the beast" by fitting a green (or yellow) spring, but IMO that just makes the power come on at higher revs - and thus in a much more abrupt and severe manner! The red spring pretty much releases the power early but more linear.

But if you've chosen to sell it, then don't go and buy a 300 - its just more of the same. The 250f sounds like the best alternative from what you've described. Higher maintenance, for sure.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
If you are swapping, try your best to have a go on a 250f before you buy one. I bought one and found it a little bit flat (this is only on account of my riding, not the bike) and couldn't get on with it.

As Sam says, you could try a flywheel weight, would cost between £65-£100, wouldn't detract from your bikes value and will always re-sell if you don't like it! how about a 200? some people love them and others dont but for tight off-road I think they are great, handle like a 125 and loads of controlable power, just a thought!

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
dave as you can see it comes down to personal preference and whats right for your isnt right for some else.

you've got to get out and try them all. The newer bikes are much better than the older ones so make sure you get to try the bikes which you can afford, no point going on all the later stuff thinking its the right bike then buy the older version which will be different.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dave as you can see it comes down to personal preference and whats right for your isnt right for some else.

you've got to get out and try them all. The newer bikes are much better than the older ones so make sure you get to try the bikes which you can afford, no point going on all the later stuff thinking its the right bike then buy the older version which will be different.
Wise words Mark,

I am still edging towards the 300 but definately need to try one! The maintenance, running cost and extra weight of the 4 banger is still putting me off a little, BUT I can't rule it out till I have thrown my leg over one as it could be perfect for me :confused:

I am just in the process of seeing how much my finances will stretch so I kow what I can afford (and trying to sweet talk the missus :redface:) but looking at something like an 09 bike???

Depends on how much my '06 250 is worth???

Cheers, Dave.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts