KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had any problems with loosing water on a SD, mine came back from having a service and after a few ride outs found the expansion tank empty, so filled it up and the radiator bled system but stiil after a good run the expansion tank empties leaving air in the system any one any suggestions.

Sparky John

·
Registered
110 Posts
i had the same prob - turned out to be a seized water pump, if it is then you'll need to get it sorted pronto as the water is seeping in to the oil.

you're sure it's not just a loose jubilee clip somewhere?

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
Had this on my SDR 08 after 7500km service, I refilled the tank, and it was empty after a one day ride. I refilled it again and everything was fine. As I was a bit surprised how this can be I asked the dealer and he said, that when they made the service they removed the cooler. And they obviuosly just filled the cooler after re-installation but did not bleed the system.

Maybe its the same on your bike... Check the oil if theres water in it, if so dont ride it anymore...

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had to top mine up about 3 times after fitting silicone hoses. Just could'nt find any leaks so kept topping up.

I have heard that to bleed the system properly the front wheel has to be raised by 2 feet off the floor - did'nt do this on mine though.

I run on 50/50 blue antifreeze / water, so leaks are easy to spot from the antifreeze residue if they do happen

One final point - if it is a leaking seal / head gasket you will get scum in / on the engine oil. BAD sign - don't run any more if you spot this.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
there was talk of '?a seal going situated around the water pump' however mine appeared to use water, so i emptied it, and refilled the rad and expansion chamber extreamly slowley, this allowed any air to surface before adding the next lot, and has been sweat since!

hope this is the case with urs, (perhaps dealers etc just fill and forget)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had this on my SDR 08 after 7500km service, I refilled the tank, and it was empty after a one day ride. I refilled it again and everything was fine. As I was a bit surprised how this can be I asked the dealer and he said, that when they made the service they removed the cooler. And they obviuosly just filled the cooler after re-installation but did not bleed the system.

Maybe its the same on your bike... Check the oil if theres water in it, if so dont ride it anymore...

Cheers, Steve
Cheers for that was just after 7500km service, so i am going to try and re bleed the system, not noticed any water in the oil as had heard about water pump and head gasket, fingers crossed with the bleeder......

sparky john

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
@ john, let us know if the problem is gone after bleeding....
steve

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
I have heard that to bleed the system properly the front wheel has to be raised by 2 feet off the floor - did'nt do this on mine though.
Thats correct. I guess my dealer did not do this when servicing the bike. Normally they fill the system, fill up the tank completely and thats it. Lazy basterds :mad:
I mean I filled twice and you three times. Indicates that a darn lott of air remains in the system and obviously it takes quite a few miles till its disappeared... :redface:

Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorted the loosing water problem fingers crossed, stripped crankcase side off to check water pump found it had alot of play in it and eal had gone, so replaced the lot for 60 squid new oil and water and hopefully happy days, cheers to all for the help.
Any body know where i can get a SD head light cowl from apart from dealer ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts