KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing some sand riding recently on consecutive days, soft and fairly deep so was working the engine hard but not slipping the clutch.

About 3 times I lost all pressure at the lever, nothing at all. As soon as I got onto firmer ground and less labouring of engine the clutch would come back. It was a new clutch before the trip so no issues there, lever is totally firm now so seems the clutch itself is fine

could it just be that oil was red hot? Was running 10w60 fully synth as hotter temps to try and keep it thicker. Oe issues with clutch fluid? Bike is a 2014 450 exc.

Cheers

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just about to change clutch on my 300, going to bleed the fluid while I'm there. Ktm want nearly 30 quid for a litre of suitable fluid, which is a stupid amount of money and probably 4 times as much fluid as I will need.
What's the sensible alternative?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, change of clutch fluid it is then.

why would old clutch fluid cause this issue though?

·
Registered
6,906 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had something similar. Basically the rubber gasket under the reservoir lid had expanded and was taking up most of the space for the fluid. I strongly suspect that the dealer put the wrong stuff in when putting the bike together from new because the slave cylinder went tits up the year before and when taking it apart the o-rings and seals on the slave cylinder were fucked.

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
I wonder why those idiots don't use better seals and o-rings ex factory. A few weeks ago I was at a seal manufacturer to get an o-ring for the clutch slave of the Gasser and I asked if the o-ring is mineral oil resistant and the guy there said that the quality o-rings are resistant against brake fluid, oils, petrols, diesel and almost anything else.
Those could be used ex-factory and would help avoiding trouble once the correct fluid isnt available. It happened to my mate in Croatia. In the middle of nowhere we took old brake fluid from a wrecked car we found on a farm. Needless to say that the Magura seals and o-rings went tits within two days but we at least made it all the way home...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts