KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,399 Posts
I have never used the steering lock on my KTMs..... dont bother about it. Put a padlock through the sprocket if you want to stop people riding the bike away, or fit a hidden switch.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I bought my bike without keys, so I bought a genuine lock and keys (from eurotech) for not much money. I haven't fitted the lock, I only bought the set so I have 2 keys to return to the insurance company if the worst happens (again). It looks a simple job to drill out a soft rivet like insert to remove the old lock, though.

BTW +1 for using decent locks and chains for security.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lost keys

All you need to do is quote your 4 digit number (on the tag that was with the original keys) to a locksmith. He will be able to cut a key from the code. Or take the bike to a locksmith and he will be able to make a key from the lock quite quickly without needing to remove the existing lock.

For you info (to save him some time) tell him it is a 'Zadi ZD7 key'. This will save him heaps of time looking for the correct key blank to use.

Don't bother buying a new lock. To make a key from the existing lock is a routine thing for a good locksmith. It should only take him less than 1/2 hour to do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the genuine lock from ktm is only about £13, BUT they have been described (by a ktm dealer) as a bit shite and that they are easy to shear with a good solid twisting of the bars
hardly reassuring..........

·
Premium Member
31,399 Posts
the genuine lock from ktm is only about £13, BUT they have been described (by a ktm dealer) as a bit shite and that they are easy to shear with a good solid twisting of the bars
hardly reassuring..........

Same with most steering locks. A strong lad can shear the pin given that he had a pair of handlebars to swing on.

I had an attempted theft on a bike many years back. I used the steering lock and a padlock through the sprocket. The thief broke the steering lock then as he tried wheeling it away he was stopped by the padlock. This meant I kept the bike, but had to shell out for a new steering stem cos it got damaged by the lock and a steering lock. I have not used a steering lock since!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts