KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ey up, probably nothing to worry about but thought I'd run it past you lot. Got 450kms on me new SD and oils right on minimum already. Is this normal for a new engine? I let it idol until 6 bars, left it for 20 secs then stood it upright to check level. Does all that seem right?
Need to get some motorex so left it at home today.
Cheers
BTW pics are coming once I fiigure out how you do it!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
mine uses oil at the moment, not sure of its eact milage, but currently uses a couple of cap fulls every 50-100miles, i read on here about changing the oil t0 15/40 ???? i think, i've put it down to the hoter weather here and i'm razing it a little more, will take mine in for a service in the next couple of weeks, will see then if this helps.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
This is normal.....new motors can drink oil......this settles down, they use less with miles (oil needs to be as ktm spec) our 950sm (19,000+) now hardly uses any (it use to drink like an alchoholic)

also it is said ......the harder you use them....... the less they use

Some times it can look worse than it is (due to not following the manual when taking oil level reading) jimsdownunder is doing it correctly (as in when oil is hot and giving it time to settle)

Also from a full sight glass to an empty sight glass is only .3 of a litre which is not that much (on the SD if my memory is working correctly)

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Normal till they pass about 5000 miles... Until then they burn about a litre every 1000 miles. Keep topping up!

(triumphs are the same)

(I think full to empty on the sighting tube is 600ml.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the replies. So, topped her up last night, took about .3L. Ran it till 5 bars on temp gauge, waited 20 secs, checked it, perfect. Right on the max indicator. Come back tonight, been in traffic so she was hot, fan on etc. Parked her up, waited 20, checked it, off the scale?? I thought shyte I've over filled it. Started it, was on about 9 bars so very hot, checked it again still full oil level pipe. Had to lean bike right over to the right to even see the top of the oil in the view pipe. Have I over filled it or was it cos it was red hot?
Sorry, new bike an all....

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
They do overfill sometimes, as it's a header tank with some complex pipework, and when the oil has been pumped through the engine, it's not all on show thru the viewing thing. I've done the same a couple times.

There is a bolt at the bottom of the front of the header tank (LH side, I think), which you can use to drain excess oil out. I've used it once, but I've also left it as-is before - and there were no bad effects.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Dutch. I saw that drain plug and thought I could use that. Will I need another washer if I undo it? I'll get it warm again in morn and have another look, if it's well over I'll drain a bit out.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I ran mine on 10-40 for a while and it drank oil and even put the oil pressure light on at idle in the middle of Madrid (hot !)

Got some of the correct 10-60w and both problems instantly dissapeared (although I've not been back to Madrid yet to test it !):)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Always check the oil after a good run as it needs to get around the engine to give a proper reading, ticking over is not really good enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
where to put it in ?

Looking for where to put the oil in. Feeling stupid. Do I have to dismantle some body work to find the oil filler cap ?

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
It's annoying that you have to remove the rad cowl to top up. You need to undo the obvious allenhead bold on the middle, one at the front near the headstock, and then 2x 8mm bolts, one on the back of the rad and one up into the underside of teh tank. Both need a t-spanner. :rolleyes:

Best oil I've found is putoline 10w60.

·
Registered
40 Posts
my dealer/mecahnic tole me the best way to check the oil it is warm it u,p take it down the road for about a mile, then check it. (its not an exact science)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have always checked mine when cold, when oil is warm, it expands, so will get a different reading when warm, hot or cold, oops never read the manual as to when to check.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have always checked mine when cold, when oil is warm, it expands, so will get a different reading when warm, hot or cold, oops never read the manual as to when to check.
I bet it used a lot of oil?...........same as my 950sm did when I first got it...............doh

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Not sure what you mean ktm666? if always checked when cold or hot the level should be constant, unless it uses?

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Probably a good call fella. It's easy to drain a bit.

battle ...as for checking the oil cold - well, the manual says check when HOT, and so does every KTM mechanic I have ever asked about it. When it's cold, it's thicker and it's also less viscous, and can be held in strange parts of the engine, and may not flow freely into the sight-tube, so I'd say checking when hot is gonna give you a more reliable reading on average. I've actually seen mine look empty when cold but nearly full when warmed up five minutes later.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Not sure what you mean ktm666? if always checked when cold or hot the level should be constant, unless it uses?
Hot oil takes up considerably more room in the tank ....than cold oil............when it cools it will give a lower reading.....so you top it up cold.....which will be 'Over filled' when it gets hot and so you will lose / vent the excess.....so you check it cold:eek: where's the oil gone........:eek: (if you checked it now 'Hot' it would be the correct level)

This is the cycle that leads most people (including me:rolleyes:) to believe that their motors are using an unhealthy amount of oil:eek:......till you check it as the manual says:D

Its easy to prove....Next time (the day after a run)......... just check as you would normally do (Cold) and then check it following the manual:eek:

The difference will shock you.............

What does not help and in fact magnifies this effect is

1. To fill the tank from the minimum to maximum lines only takes 300ml (not that much) because.......

2. The design of the oil tank...........its not a regular shape (in fact its very irrugular) ......with the top 50% (height wise) holding a fraction of the oil capacity of the lower 50% of the tank (height wise)

So any drop in oil level is magnified visually at the sight tube

I would imagine that it was designed this way to minimise the oil movement and prevent the oil feed to the engine being starved of oil even on the minimum fill.................and to get the....'Oh my God' ...effect from the owners on even a slight loss of oil

1 - 20 of 28 Posts