KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 2006 300 exc and looking at getting it lowered. Owned it for a year now and have always had the problem of not finding ground in an emergency situation…..or standing still on uneven ground usually ending in me falling over and looking like a complete tit :p

so does anyone know the best route to go down and the options there are?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Standard stuff for Brokenlegs. He puts shims in the fork and shock internals that shorten the suspension travel.

Works a treat.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
at a cost of ground clearance, which means that you may bottom out and get stuck in ruts that other people are riding through.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I have the same problem..i went for the low seat, lowest profile on the rear tyre I could get and maximum amount of sag on the rear shock, then slide the forks through the clamps. you can gain maybe 2 inches. it's still all at a cost of ground clearance though.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
somebody suggested that I get some wooden blocks, paint them orange, then glue them to the soles of my boots..............I thought it was a crap idea. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
or just get the correct springs for your weight then you can manage,im vertically challenged and have done this on my 300 and can get by.
the lowered seats are awful and to be honest you only need one foot on the ground for most situations.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
the 2 aluminum 'arms' that run from the rear of the seat/subframe to the main frame by the swingarm can be shortened by 10mm
cut 10mm off then weld up the original hole and re drill
this will take about 30mm from the seat height, but not mean the wheel hits the mudguard

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the same problem..i went for the low seat, lowest profile on the rear tyre I could get and maximum amount of sag on the rear shock, then slide the forks through the clamps. you can gain maybe 2 inches. it's still all at a cost of ground clearance though.
2 inches? I was thinking more like 30mm, along with the low seat that i already have. I've had the bike for year and have been thinking about lowering since buying it, i've tried to get on with it but it definitely needs to get lowered for the type of riding I do, mainly enduro and green laning

why did you go down that route instead of getting the suspension professionally adjusted to your needs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the 2 aluminum 'arms' that run from the rear of the seat/subframe to the main frame by the swingarm can be shortened by 10mm
cut 10mm off then weld up the original hole and re drill
this will take about 30mm from the seat height, but not mean the wheel hits the mudguard
I have been looking into this, might try get hold of a spare subframe and try it out :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I've got one bike with lowered forks and shock. The others on standard height suspension so for TOLB yesterday I wound the preload off the rear shock and dropped the forks through the yokes 20mm and that combined with a lower seat was fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts