KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

i have a 2002 ktm 520sx

Just wondering if you could lower the bike ?

if not would i be better off getting the correct spring weight for the shock and forks ?

also off hand would and one have the sag settings for this bike

Cheers

Liam

·
Registered
987 Posts
The cheap way.............push the front forks through the the yokes buy 10mm, the wind up the spring retainer a few turns :rolleyes: it WILL soften the rear a tad, you can also have the seat shaved down, but then you foresake comfort.

·
Premium Member
31,431 Posts
Or lower the rear end by fitting an 08/09 450/530 EXC swingarm ;)

I have pushed forks through by about 30mm, you can go as far as the parallel part on the forks allows :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or lower the rear end by fitting an 08/09 450/530 EXC swingarm ;)

I have pushed forks through by about 30mm, you can go as far as the parallel part on the forks allows :)

? will pushing the forks through not quicken up the steering ? and make the bike less stabe in a straght line ?

also the other issue did a hare and hound last monday and was going good untill i came off the bike. once the bike is on it's side it is a pain to start lost 20min on my first lap trying to kick the bike is there any mod to pervent this ?

breather pipes have been moved up high and the carb has been stripped and cleaned

Cheers !

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
? will pushing the forks through not quicken up the steering ? and make the bike less stabe in a straght line ?

also the other issue did a hare and hound last monday and was going good untill i came off the bike. once the bike is on it's side it is a pain to start lost 20min on my first lap trying to kick the bike is there any mod to pervent this ?

breather pipes have been moved up high and the carb has been stripped and cleaned

Cheers !
Fit a electric start ;-)

·
Premium Member
31,431 Posts
Not if you keep it all in balance by lowering the rear.... my 06 450 is lowered by about 25mm and never shakes it's head

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not if you keep it all in balance by lowering the rear.... my 06 450 is lowered by about 25mm and never shakes it's head
so if i drop the front by 25mm. i take it there is nothing i can do to the rear other than change the swingarm ?

i dont intend to keep this bike very long the h+H and enduro racing is my new interest i have been short circuit racing for the last 5 years and this year got into the off road. last monday was just mad !!!

my plan would be to replace this bike with a exc 2t or 4t towards the end of the year maybe a 250 but not to sure.

if i could make this bike a little easer to race. and make the bike a little easier to kick after it's been on it side life would be better

thanks for the advise so far

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm in the process of having my 450 lowered, its done by putting spacers into the rear shock and forks...although I can't for the life of me think how putting spacers in will lower anything, unless its replacing bigger spacers with smaller spacers.

Anyhow, the upside is that the shop reckons they can get almost 2" off the height by doing this.

·
Registered
987 Posts

feck me Kev, does that ever get used ? and if it does, how the hell do you get it back to being that clean again?

·
Premium Member
31,431 Posts
I'm in the process of having my 450 lowered, its done by putting spacers into the rear shock and forks...although I can't for the life of me think how putting spacers in will lower anything, unless its replacing bigger spacers with smaller spacers.

Anyhow, the upside is that the shop reckons they can get almost 2" off the height by doing this.
The spacers go on the damper rod to limit the fully extended length of the shock/fork.

PEC GAS makes shock spacers, but you need the re-gassing/re-oiling rig to fit them ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts