KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2019 ktm superduke r & 2015 kwak z1000
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ey up

trying to sort luggage for the 1290 and wondering if anyone on here has any advice. I’ve sw motech on the zed which can be used on the duke but I have the gp1 exhausts on which means I can’t use that. Im thinking that kriega would be my best option? Just wondering if anyone had any advise / experience on this or can suggest any other options? I’ll need it sorted for the TT and my Italy trip next year.
TIA

·
Registered
196 Posts
Big roll bag strapped to the pillion seat works for me. I find it much easier at the end of the day to carry one big bag with a shoulder strap into the hotel than struggling with 2 panniers, tank bag, and a helmet! Givi do a couple with side pockets, these give quick access to bits and pieces eliminating the need for the tank bag. Exhaust may be an issue if its pointing at the bag though, I've seen mates melt holes in them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I went all over Europe on my RC8R - I've used several different options including various Kreiga setups (which are good) but the luggage I liked best was a SW Motech rollbag with a stiffener in the base held on with Rokstraps (genius idea)

·
Registered
1290 GT
23 Posts
Decathlon waterproof 40l bag with KTM (very long) standard rack for lots of luggage.
Decathlon waterproof large backpack on passenger seat with normal grab handle for everything else.
Two or three Rok-straps depending on the weight of the bag. Easy enough to swap rack for grab handle (4 bolts). I always ride on +bag setting anyway. Only change that sometimes (not always) when the girl comes with .
Mountain Sky Art Landscape Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decathlon waterproof 40l bag with KTM (very long) standard rack for lots of luggage.
Decathlon waterproof large backpack on passenger seat with normal grab handle for everything else.
Two or three Rok-straps depending on the weight of the bag. Easy enough to swap rack for grab handle (4 bolts). I always ride on +bag setting anyway. Only change that sometimes (not always) when the girl comes with . View attachment 41834
Be no girls on mine or pillion ever lol 😂

·
Registered
36 Posts
you could go with the massssssive tail bag/backpack I've got from KTM? :LOL: Would fit a bloody elephant in it! It turns into a backpack with the straps, so hands free for carrying ya lid etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you could go with the massssssive tail bag/backpack I've got from KTM? :LOL: Would fit a bloody elephant in it! It turns into a backpack with the straps, so hands free for carrying ya lid etc.
Would that do me for two weeks away though??? I doubt it 🥴 WhatsApp me a pic

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never say never 🙂
No I’ve taken pillion loads of time but this year I took it off my insurance now as I took a mate n she was awful n I just said no more lol 😂

·
Registered
272 Posts
I haven't got pillion this year, not by choice though. It just happens to be the underwriter that my insurance company are using. It's a bit mad really, cause it's the first year I've really wanted it. My wife is insured to ride the bike, but neither of us can ride it with the other on as pillion. And I love going pillion.

Wheel Tire Smile Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
272 Posts
Luggage wise, Ventura is quite a good system. Can't fall off and no straps to fall into back wheel.

Alternatively, buy a spare pillion seat and a top box +mounting plate. Drill and bolt the mounting plate to the spare pillion seat. Cheap, simple and effective.

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
1,040 Posts
The KTM roll bags are made by Givi and are exactly the same as Givi bags but with a KTM logo and higher price tag. I've got one and it's always done me proud but Enduristan roll bags are the best you can get IMO for not much more money and they're better designed and more durable.
For B&B/ hotel touring, a 60 L roll bag will easily accommodate everything you need. (Well for blokes anyway. Chicks may need four). Pair of Rock Straps and you're done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't got pillion this year, not by choice though. It just happens to be the underwriter that my insurance company are using. It's a bit mad really, cause it's the first year I've really wanted it. My wife is insured to ride the bike, but neither of us can ride it with the other on as pillion. And I love going pillion.

View attachment 41845
I sometimes took my ex pillion, used to get reet odd looks when folks realised it was a woman with a bloke on back lol 😂 but I’m more than happy either way to carry pillion or not but I’ve opted to not have it on my insurance this year as I just can’t be arsed with the will you take me for a spin malarkey 🤪

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The KTM roll bags are made by Givi and are exactly the same as Givi bags but with a KTM logo and higher price tag. I've got one and it's always done me proud but Enduristan roll bags are the best you can get IMO for not much more money and they're better designed and more durable.
For B&B/ hotel touring, a 60 L roll bag will easily accommodate everything you need. (Well for blokes anyway. Chicks may need four). Pair of Rock Straps and you're done.
Fook I don’t need 60ltrs lol .. looking at various options it’s looking like I go for ktm luggage n bear the brunt of the cost - I will get my money’s worth n the 36ltr tail bag would probably be adequate fir me. I’ll just buy cheap underwear n socks n cheap clothes when I’m away n bin them as I go along then that’s less taking up space!

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I like KTM's tail pack myself for a week. It's just easier to pack than stuffing stuff into Kriega. I just use a US5 or 10 for day to day use. If you are homestaying on the Island, just take 3-4 days kit. Nice fast drying base layers like merino and use the washing machine. Saving space for some TT t-shirts to take home.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like KTM's tail pack myself for a week. It's just easier to pack than stuffing stuff into Kriega. I just use a US5 or 10 for day to day use. If you are homestaying on the Island, just take 3-4 days kit. Nice fast drying base layers like merino and use the washing machine. Saving space for some TT t-shirts to take home.
Cool! Kriega stuff is brill but fiddly. I have a few wee pieces like the bumbag which I use every time I’m out. I have a shed load of base layers n yes hope to be home staying again next year so can take advantage of wash facilities etc. Have shed loads of tt stuff at home lol love to get a wee box of Manx knobs to take home!! 😜

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
The mind boggles.

Besides, we've all seen your selfie and your grots n socks must be tiny so they can't take up much space. Just stuff them in pockets and ears. Wear 3 base layers on the journey and a mini skirt as a neck tube. Job jobbed, no luggage.

·
Registered
18,892 Posts
Luggage wise, Ventura is quite a good system. Can't fall off and no straps to fall into back wheel.

Alternatively, buy a spare pillion seat and a top box +mounting plate. Drill and bolt the mounting plate to the spare pillion seat. Cheap, simple and effective.
Ventura is the go. Who wants crap rubbing on your bike! Obviously this is the big bag, but there's smaller ones available. It blends in very well with the bike when not using the bag too. Screw rolls, bags and straps on a sportsbike.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

1 - 20 of 79 Posts