KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They also make a DIY kit for making up parts too: Carbon Fibre Starter kit

The parts I'm wanting to make are very simple shapes and not structural or load supporting, mostly cosmetic and to give a little protection.

Anyone had any experience of making their own bits?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I bought the easy composites mould making kit (this one) Uni-Mould Complete Fibreglass Mould Making Kit for Epoxy Resin and Even Pre-Preg - Easy Composites to make a mould of a dash for my car, I found it fairly easy to do, and with a kit like this compared to the one made of putty/clay, you can make a few moulds with it. I've made a dash out of fibre glass as practice, turned out well, I have the carbon but just need to get the motivation to make the real one, don't want to mess up and waste Loads of bangers. :eek:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
the mouldmaking stuff looks good, but expensive for what you get

i've use car body filler for mouldmaking loads of times
U-POL EASY 1 BODY FILLER 3.5L EASY/1 SMOOTH - EASY ONE - FREE DELIVERY! | eBay
Mouldcraft NO.8 mould release wax 100g - mould making with fibreglass / gelcoat | eBay

just use a release wax like they do, then mix up some filler with a bit of extra polyester resin and hardener to make a gel coat
then add more filler to bulk up as shown

sets in 20mins, but there's a tad of shrinkage, but not usually noticeable on case guards etc

you'll make a load of moulds for same price, or you have a chance to fek up :D
hth

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping to make some fuel tank covers for the lower parts of the 2012 500 EXC fuel tank. I can't imagine the shape I need is going to be too problematic but I'm a little concerned about the release agent and wax leaving a residue or marking the tank.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You can't take a splash (mould) straight from the tank as the part you then make will be the same size as the tank. When I make exhaust guards I use sheet wax the same thickness as the finished carbon before taking the mould.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't take a splash (mould) straight from the tank as the part you then make will be the same size as the tank. When I make exhaust guards I use sheet wax the same thickness as the finished carbon before taking the mould.
Tell me more Scriberman. Where can I get sheet wax?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Do you want to make some covers to sell or just for fun? Wet layup is fecking messy, time consuming and frustrating. Pre preg is the way to go but you need a vac pump and bagging material (stay out of this Wazza) Just checked the prices of sheet wax, fuck that. See PM.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you want to make some covers to sell or just for fun? Wet layup is fecking messy, time consuming and frustrating. Pre preg is the way to go but you need a vac pump and bagging material (stay out of this Wazza) Just checked the prices of sheet wax, fuck that. See PM.
I'm just looking to make a set for myself. I've always fancied having a go but never known what to make.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Mike54 on here is worth a shout as is Ann a mate of scribes, dont think she is on here but she has a KTM so will probably talk to you if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Mike54 on here is worth a shout as is Ann a mate of scribes, dont think she is on here but she has a KTM so will probably talk to you if you ask nicely.
Ann does that shit for a living for red bull racing.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Watching those videos its identical to fibreglass apart from carbon cloth. With fibreglass, to get a perfect surface, sand and paint or lacquer.

I've got a couple of pieces of CF, strong as fook....especially the rods. But I thought CF was made in high temp presses and molds. Why not just buy CF stick on sheets.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
The stuff in the video is just wet lay ie fairly weak and difficult to get a part to look right cosmetically. Suspect you'd find it very frustrating. The best result can be gained at home from using a vacuum pump and bagging it, if you look at the easy composites youtube channel and look for the one about the car bonnet you'll see what I'm talking about. If you go that route, you'll need to spend an initial 600 quid-ish and be prepared to get frustrated with bag leaks. A leak tester is worth its weight in gold and your sanity.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The stuff in the video is just wet lay ie fairly weak and difficult to get a part to look right cosmetically. Suspect you'd find it very frustrating. The best result can be gained at home from using a vacuum pump and bagging it, if you look at the easy composites youtube channel and look for the one about the car bonnet you'll see what I'm talking about. If you go that route, you'll need to spend an initial 600 quid-ish and be prepared to get frustrated with bag leaks. A leak tester is worth its weight in gold and your sanity.
I appreciate that it's probably not going to be the best or strongest carbon fibre part in the world but It's something I've wanted to have a go at for a while now and I've got what I think will be a relatively straight forward part to make. It's also a part that's not available from any of the carbon fibre parts manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts