KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
Map switch is it plug and play. Is map 1 and 2 to compensate for throttle twist grip cams. Is traction control any good. Is it worth £85. 2020 500exc. Thanks guys

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed one on my 2018 500 EXC

Haven't been able to test it out yet

And yes it is plug and play

And I don't think its to compensate for the gray/black throttle cams

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed one on my 2018 500 EXC

Haven't been able to test it out yet

And yes it is plug and play

And I don't think its to compensate for the gray/black throttle cams
Thanks for the info hedonist. I know tc is activated by rear wheel spin. Could not see any sensors around back brake so must be linked to speedo and engine speed.😗

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
my 6days has the map switch

Map1 is noticeably softer off idle but still hits nicely mid-range and up
Map2 is even fun on the road,pulls hard everywhere,i'm thinking this is the standard Map on the normal EXC's?

i haven't tried the traction control yet,doubt if i'll ever use it
being able to spin the back wheel is so important on a dirt-bike
to clear the mud and get the back end to step out

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have map switch installed on my 2017 450 EXC. I notice power difference between map 1 and 2. Traction control does not seem to do anything for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’m not sure if the traction control does anything either. Certainly doesn’t stop the wheel spinning completely, maybe just stops it getting out of control? Either that or I have the throttle control of a god... 🧐😁

2017 450 EXC, I prefer the softer low rpm throttle response of map 1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my 6days has the map switch

Map1 is noticeably softer off idle but still hits nicely mid-range and up
Map2 is even fun on the road,pulls hard everywhere,i'm thinking this is the standard Map on the normal EXC's?

i haven't tried the traction control yet,doubt if i'll ever use it
being able to spin the back wheel is so important on a dirt-bike
to clear the mud and get the back end to step out
Thanks again tools for the info
I have map switch installed on my 2017 450 EXC. I notice power difference between map 1 and 2. Traction control does not seem to do anything for me.
Ain't been on a bike for 10 years frightend the life out of me when I got on this thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not sure if the traction control does anything either. Certainly doesn’t stop the wheel spinning completely, maybe just stops it getting out of control? Either that or I have the throttle control of a god... 🧐😁

2017 450 EXC, I prefer the softer low rpm throttle response of map 1.
Throttle control of god id say. 😁 just wanted it a it tamer for the road. Thanks Craig

·
Registered
188 Posts
David Jones, what do you plan on using your 500 for. I've recently bought one to replace my 300rr, I'm currently turning it into a light weight adventure bike,for weekends away TET and general trf days out around North Wales plus the odd rally/enduro days. Mine came with the map switch, my understanding is that in the lower map it runs at 70% power with the TC on. The higher map with TC off is nuts compared to the lower one. I ride in the lower map with TC on generally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David Jones, what do you plan on using your 500 for. I've recently bought one to replace my 300rr, I'm currently turning it into a light weight adventure bike,for weekends away TET and general trf days out around North Wales plus the odd rally/enduro days. Mine came with the map switch, my understanding is that in the lower map it runs at 70% power with the TC on. The higher map with TC off is nuts compared to the lower one. I ride in the lower map with TC on generally.
Hi Albert having mx bikes a long time ago and a 52 year old builder in a md life crisis 😁 ihad the bright idea of getting a bike. Maybe not such a good idea when I was 26 broke my neck and back same day as Christopher reeves superman. Heart failure 2years ago from a virus from my own dust mask which has left me with atrial fibrillation. 🙃I had to have a ktm spent 6 months studying YouTube and got the 500. I live at the bottom of a mountain in South wales and for me the bike is just to get out for an hour. Maybe supermoto wheels with standard brake for easy swop over. But my heart is on the mountain. This is the best one have not done my test yet. Got my cbt 28th of this month. I've only been on the bike once to run it in for an hour. Did put bike in back of van to mountain. Won't take the risk of getting it ceased by the cops. Well hows that for a md life crisis 😁

·
Registered
188 Posts
I see, I'm having early mid life crisis at 41and had a big swap around with bikes,the 500 was the best choice,I hope you get up that mountain and good luck.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
mid-life crises are wonderful in some ways
mine started me dirt-biking 17 years ago
still the best thing i've ever done
try to keep them going if you can

i should've got the dog earlier tho'...

Reactions: enduro boy

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
You spent 6 months studying YouTube and you still bought the 500?? :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Ballsy! Enjoy, but don't give in when it pulls your trousers down and gives you a spanking.

·
Registered
172 Posts
On the new 4 strokes I've had I'd say the traction control isn't too intrusive - you can still slide the bike but can get on the gas harder and sooner out the corners without fear of the rear wheel coming around too much / fish tailing. In the end I ran it all the time, even when doing MX on the enduro bike, the bike was def a little quicker and hooked up better.

On my 300 I sort have changed my riding style to be a bit more like this too, obviously no traction, but rather than letting it slide too much on full gas I'll have less of a drift angle but try and wind it on more progressively.......

·
Registered
49 Posts
On the new 4 strokes I've had I'd say the traction control isn't too intrusive - you can still slide the bike but can get on the gas harder and sooner out the corners without fear of the rear wheel coming around too much / fish tailing.
Bugger. I’d convinced myself it was down to me... 😂

Yeah, I leave mine on all the time too.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
i'll give it a try next time i'm out
there's a lot of hills down here and some of them always win...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the new 4 strokes I've had I'd say the traction control isn't too intrusive - you can still slide the bike but can get on the gas harder and sooner out the corners without fear of the rear wheel coming around too much / fish tailing. In the end I ran it all the time, even when doing MX on the enduro bike, the bike was def a little quicker and hooked up better.

On my 300 I sort have changed my riding style to be a bit more like this too, obviously no traction, but rather than letting it slide too much on full gas I'll have less of a drift angle but try and wind it on more progressively.......
Very interesting info 👍thanks TQRS

1 - 20 of 24 Posts