KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening

Just back from my second longish run (total 150 miles) this year and after washing all the salt and crap off the bike I noticed the white emulsion in the sight glass, I removed the oil filler cap and seen more on the under side. I contacted the dealer as its a 2016 bike and they said its normal with condensation build up in the oil and they have had lot of reports of this this year.

I also have a honda CB1000r and havnt seen this on this bike so I was worried and therefore contacted the dealers.

Has anyone else seen this, just want to know how common this is.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would of thought , after a run condensation would of gone..
I thought the same, it was serviced (5500 miles) in September and oil still looks new.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It's got water in there from somewhere, may be condensation, but after a long run that should have gone. When you said "after washing", did you also run the bike after washing then see this, or wash it and before starting up, see this? Just wondering if water from the washing go in.

Other causes are, head gasket, water pump seal failure, etc

Good luck & fingers crossed!

cheers

Markie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's got water in there from somewhere, may be condensation, but after a long run that should have gone. When you said "after washing", did you also run the bike after washing then see this, or wash it and before starting up, see this? Just wondering if water from the washing go in.

Other causes are, head gasket, water pump seal failure, etc

Good luck & fingers crossed!

Thanks Markie

Didn't start after washing, only washed after it cooled down and noticed when drying it.

Ill clean off the cap and take for long run when im back home and the weather is warmer and I guess if I see the same again itll be another call to the dealer.

I will check the coolant level too before and after to see it it is the head gasket or pump seals.

It looks like a lot just to be condensation but at least I have emails and pics as proof if the worst happens.

cheers

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
This happened to Wazza once, can't remember how much it cost to fix?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
My air cooled hypermotard gets mayo in the sight glass , I’ve tried to order water pump seals but dealer says there not showing on there system .....fekkin useless fekkers ...!

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is definitely unacceptable. I do not agree that it would burn off once it is that thick. It is effectively changing the chemical makeup of the oil at that point. Some moisture may burn off, but it’s become pretty thick. I personally would run some relatively cheap oil through there just long enough to cleanse the engine, then change it again with the good stuff. Pretty cheap insurance.

There are many theories on running the engine for 10-15 minutes every few weeks in the seasons you can’t ride regularly, but I personally am in favor of it. The more often the engine internals are coated with oil the less condensation will build up.

My disclaimer is that I’m neither an engineer or a chemist, and I will not get into an argument with anyone who disagrees with me. It’s my opinion based upon some basic knowledge and my version of common sense.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm no engineer or a chemist and I think the opposite. My track bike sits there all winter and in the Spring it fires up with no condensation. Other who run their same bikes over winter for 10-15mins have issues. I'm also against any engines idling at start up as the lack of oil pressure can mean it doesn't get everywhere. I start and ride (gently until warm) or I don't start it.

Not getting into a debate or argument with Jjsc6ktm - just putting in my point of view which happens to be the opposite. :)

I do agree that the above looks like way more than just condensation and that a flush and replace would be a good approach.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That’s not condensation, water contamination. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out. I’d trailer it personally..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm no engineer or a chemist and I think the opposite. My track bike sits there all winter and in the Spring it fires up with no condensation. Other who run their same bikes over winter for 10-15mins have issues. I'm also against any engines idling at start up as the lack of oil pressure can mean it doesn't get everywhere. I start and ride (gently until warm) or I don't start it.

Not getting into a debate or argument with Jjsc6ktm - just putting in my point of view which happens to be the opposite. :)

I do agree that the above looks like way more than just condensation and that a flush and replace would be a good approach.
I stand by my commitment to not debate the matter. I respect your point of view whether I agree or not because you stated your reasons in a fair and respectable manner.

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
Has a dealer ever said, “hang on a minute, that’s not normal”
Ever? Everything is normal to them.
That mayo isn’t “normal”

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has a dealer ever said, “hang on a minute, that’s not normal”
Ever? Everything is normal to them.
That mayo isn’t “normal”
Beg to differ, they say that as soon as you have an issue after the warranty runs out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 78 Posts