KTM Owners Forum banner

Mayo in the oil of my GT

11K views 77 replies 22 participants last post by  bigkuri 
#1 ·
Good evening

Just back from my second longish run (total 150 miles) this year and after washing all the salt and crap off the bike I noticed the white emulsion in the sight glass, I removed the oil filler cap and seen more on the under side. I contacted the dealer as its a 2016 bike and they said its normal with condensation build up in the oil and they have had lot of reports of this this year.

I also have a honda CB1000r and havnt seen this on this bike so I was worried and therefore contacted the dealers.

Has anyone else seen this, just want to know how common this is.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
It's got water in there from somewhere, may be condensation, but after a long run that should have gone. When you said "after washing", did you also run the bike after washing then see this, or wash it and before starting up, see this? Just wondering if water from the washing go in.

Other causes are, head gasket, water pump seal failure, etc

Good luck & fingers crossed!

cheers

Markie

#7 ·
It's got water in there from somewhere, may be condensation, but after a long run that should have gone. When you said "after washing", did you also run the bike after washing then see this, or wash it and before starting up, see this? Just wondering if water from the washing go in.

Other causes are, head gasket, water pump seal failure, etc

Good luck & fingers crossed!

Thanks Markie

Didn't start after washing, only washed after it cooled down and noticed when drying it.

Ill clean off the cap and take for long run when im back home and the weather is warmer and I guess if I see the same again itll be another call to the dealer.

I will check the coolant level too before and after to see it it is the head gasket or pump seals.

It looks like a lot just to be condensation but at least I have emails and pics as proof if the worst happens.

cheers

#12 ·
That is definitely unacceptable. I do not agree that it would burn off once it is that thick. It is effectively changing the chemical makeup of the oil at that point. Some moisture may burn off, but it’s become pretty thick. I personally would run some relatively cheap oil through there just long enough to cleanse the engine, then change it again with the good stuff. Pretty cheap insurance.

There are many theories on running the engine for 10-15 minutes every few weeks in the seasons you can’t ride regularly, but I personally am in favor of it. The more often the engine internals are coated with oil the less condensation will build up.

My disclaimer is that I’m neither an engineer or a chemist, and I will not get into an argument with anyone who disagrees with me. It’s my opinion based upon some basic knowledge and my version of common sense.

#13 ·
I'm no engineer or a chemist and I think the opposite. My track bike sits there all winter and in the Spring it fires up with no condensation. Other who run their same bikes over winter for 10-15mins have issues. I'm also against any engines idling at start up as the lack of oil pressure can mean it doesn't get everywhere. I start and ride (gently until warm) or I don't start it.

Not getting into a debate or argument with Jjsc6ktm - just putting in my point of view which happens to be the opposite. :)

I do agree that the above looks like way more than just condensation and that a flush and replace would be a good approach.

#23 ·
Warranty is up in September so not too fussed if the engine blows up before then but the fact that its only 18 months old and ive had it since new and ive never seen this before on a new bike or car!!

#24 ·
Don't forget your engine has to reach 100 degrees c (oil not water!!) to burn off any moisture....that is difficult to do this time of year unless you are trying really hard :D.....also depends on the storage conditions as to how badly your condensation builds up in the engine. Personally I would drop the oil as mentioned above and then go from there.

Haven't seen goo like that in an engine since I had my 1967 Cooper S.

#26 ·
Been out on my bike this week 1hr running on the motorway around 4K revs-but due to the air temp (hovering around 1 to zero degrees) the warmest my oil temp got to was 76 degrees.
So basically not enough to evaporate any moisture in the oil.

Does beg the question how the moisture gets in the oil in the 1st place as that looks far too much to be condensation!

#30 ·
I see this kind of thing on cars all the time , your town cars .... Corsas , Clio’s , little Citroen run arounds ,rocker covers and breather pipes thick with gungey mayo , short runs , stop start never getting fully up to temp .

The water comes from the combustion process, some if that gets past the rings and into the crank cases and the short runs it will never be burned off

Starting the bike in the cold months every now and again and revving it up a bit like a twat and letting it run till the fan cuts in blah blah will not burn off any condensate in the relatively cold crankcases .

That’s my theory , i will not get into any debates over it , I’m not a chemist or thermo nuclear engineer just a car mechanic that worked on cars with mayo on the filler caps and dipsticks that hasn’t bothered them what so ever , so a spot on the filler cap or sight glass is hardly any reason to go crying to the dealers like a tiny tears doll like some impending bomb is about to explode because ‘ the mongers of doom ‘ said so

#37 ·
Wouldnt give a shit if i seen it in a corsa, clio, ect but this is in my new KTM that I love and cherish so crying like a tiny tears doll im not ashamed to admit that! I was asking the KTM community if anyone else has seen this because personally this is the first time ive seen this on my bike and as my other bike has none I was thinking there might be a reason for it happening.

Reactions: mechcanico lee
#31 ·
100C degrees is the boiling point, not the evaporating point. There are other issues though. The evaporating moisture has to have somewhere to go. Physics is not my strong suit, but I know that water evaporates at much lower temps.

#38 ·
If you have other bikes stored under the same conditions and treated the same (ie started up and ran or not) then it would be reasonable to expect all of the bikes to display the same “condensation” in the oil. If no other bike displays these symptoms then that would suggest it was an issue with the KTM.
Why don’t you fire a quick email over including photos to your dealer and see what they say??

#39 ·
Got a number of bikes in my garage, some don’t get taken out year on year, started up monthly and left to reach temp. I’ve never seen this in the oil. I’m not a mechanic but I know it’s not normal on a new bike. It doesn’t matter what anyone says on here cos our advice wouldn’t pay repair bills. Get it checked out by ktm so it’s in their heads if it fucks up, could be an easy fix now opposed to a big fix later. Peace of mind pal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#42 ·
While I agree with your post, I seriously doubt if it would be a warranty issue. They can’t take responsibility for a bike that sits for a long time getting condensation in it. Any bike will do it if it sits long enough. Obviously some bikes take longer than others for reasons that I’m sure are explainable and it’s actually likely that people with multiple bikes run some bikes more than others. I certainly do, but I try to never let one sit for more than about three weeks. But I’m fortunate to live where I can ride year around. It’s the reward for living in a city with awful traffic and humidity!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.