KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So the boys at MCN have finally realised what we all already new.

The KTM Adventure is the best 'adventure' bike out there, (the clue is in the name matey).

They have finally put in print the bike is 'THE MOST FUN OUT THERE'

You can tell from the way it's phrased that it must stick in thier throat to admit it, could be something to do with the BMW advertising dollar, or the long way up/round/ down the back effect.

:):):)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yas

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Have you read it as i did whilst it was on the stand in Morrisons?(quick look during lunch break).
I read it as being the best buy,unsure if they meant new or second hand but i think they meant second hand.
Better than it's rivals? For me,yes without a doubt for the things i use the bike for.

·
Registered
63 Posts
MCN = More Crap & Nonsense

Damn! I try so hard not to buy the blasted rag - I'll see if I can skim through it in WH Smiths, otherwise I might just have to cough up.

Nice absorbant material for the rabbit's tray - but I don't think he reads it either! :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
I stopped buying that comic a few years ago. Talking tosh and their journos up their own arses! I might just get it tomorrow though :D
Agreed! Just read it in tescos whilst pissed like I just did!

·
Registered
435 Posts
At least MCN included the big KTM in their test. `BIKE` magazine last month in their "Adventure Special" to "Reveal The Ultimate Adventure Bike" only included the Duc Multistrada,the 1200GS and the new Yamaha Super Whale -sorry Tenere. No mention of the KTM - Pathetic!!
:wanker:

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
At least MCN included the big KTM in their test. `BIKE` magazine last month in their "Adventure Special" to "Reveal The Ultimate Adventure Bike" only included the Duc Multistrada,the 1200GS and the new Yamaha Super Whale -sorry Tenere. No mention of the KTM - Pathetic!!
:wanker:
I saw the front page and bought the mag .............. most dissappointed at no mention of the KTM. Obviously a very biased article funded by BMW (There was a 40 page BMW GS magazine incuded free of charge)

Sometimes I think the KTM is stuck between worlds. Magazines class it as a true off road bike rather than an adventure bike in the same vein as a GS and that's why it isn't included in multi-tests including the GS. I would imagine BMW would say it is unfair to lump the GS in with the KTM

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just been reading MCN and that's made my mind up. I've been dithering for ages between buying the "Range Rover" (as MCN called the GSA) or the 990 Adv. I've had a 990 Adv and really miss it. Hopefully, one will be parked in the garage (well, being ridden around Dorset) very soon.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sometimes I think the KTM is stuck between worlds. Magazines class it as a true off road bike rather than an adventure bike in the same vein as a GS and that's why it isn't included in multi-tests including the GS. I would imagine BMW would say it is unfair to lump the GS in with the KTM
I think you're right Shep. An "ADVENTURE" bike to many of these journalists is a big tall tourer that can carry lots of stuff and looks like it can go anywhere! The problem is these people and many of the readers ride sports/ road bikes and they don't see themselves using any off road capabiliity. Going anywhere to them is Western Europe and Off road is riding down an unpaved drive a sports bike could go down! The majority of likely buyers of this type of bike are people who want to tour in comfort or slow down after having sports bikes for many years.
There is also the comfort of sticking to the mainstream manufacturers which means the magazines are scared of recommending a KTM even though they always say how much fun the Adventure is when they ride it.

When I bought my KTM ADV I didn't think I would take it off road. But of course now I know how much fun it is, I''m glad I bought it. Like many of you I can't imagine what else could replace it.

It's nice to be in an exclusive club but I wouldn't want KTM to go under because it was too exclusive!

JMHO

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Every time I have the vague notion of a possible change, I think of all the things that the other bikes wouldn't be able to do, and as always come up to the same conclusion - a bike for every occasion or as Shep more aptly puts it "the swiss army knife of bikes".

As the Adv was only my 3rd bike (ever), I count myself as having lucked out first time round.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah, KTM Adv has hardly any limitations. with the right tyres on, you can even get your knee down! I also like the way Shep discribes the big Katoom. I want to add that this is my 2nd "big bike" so I'm glad it did not take long years to find the "ideal" bike. first one was VFR 800Vtec which, in my opinion, is rather very good looking bike. I've got to say tho, Adv gets way more complements regarding the looks and even people previously not interested in the bikes often stop and ask about the bike. Hovever, I love it when my female friends look at the bike and say: "Victor, your bike is sooooo big" :D I just love the sound of it :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Showed the 6 GS owners at work the MCN article...................you could have heard a pin drop when they read it and then a barrage of "f..ing MCN what do they know everyone knows the GS is the ultimate bike" and other desperate attempts to justify some of them spending over 13K on their new BOORINGMANS bikes. Riding RTs at work its refreshing to get onto something at the end of the day with more soul......

Tested 6 or 7 GS's 1150, 1200 and 800's.......only the 800 GS come close to the initial lively and fun feel of my 990. It was nearly as much as the bigger engined 990 as well

BMW= Boring Mans Wobblycruiser
KTM= Kunning Teamplayers Mosickle

I also felt cheated about the bike mag.....i did however want to get idea how close the duke came to the others tho

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lets not be anal like GS owners here and not see the Emperor's Clothes. The article did also point out that if they'd added the GS and the ADV figures together the total would be higher than the KTM. Not much to choose between the two voting wise then.

I know which I prefer, I ride it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can't agree more, however much I love the big katoom it ain't without it's drawbacks.

Not everyone is an off roading god, and many only ride on the road. (me probably 90% road and a 'bit' of 'light' green laning).

For me the 19/17 'Tubeless wheels' are a big advantage for the GS for the type of riding I do, however I'd rather put sticks in me eye's then ride one of those overwieght wobbly tractors. I love the wheelies/handling/attitude of the Katoom and also that you can just cruise and chill when the mood takes you.

The only thing I really hate is the seat (along with many others) and despite trying all the known options I'm still looking, as I can't see me changing for anything else in the near future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts