KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was out on a Sunday Morning rideout a couple of years ago and I decide its time to warm the knackers up and stop for a coffee, I indicate, stick the brakes on and my mate behind me decides he'd rather continue on. Through me and my 2013 1190 Adventure R. Bits of bike everywhere but thankfully we both walked away with minor injuries and a good story.....but no coffee funnily enough.

Fast forward a couple of years and having bought the wreck off the insurance company at a very good price I'm now trying to get the motor going to put in something else. The motor didn't take any impact and the loom is all intact and in good shape except the MCU is missing... and the 2 tabs on the 2 multipoint plugs that attach to it to the loom have snapped off so I'm assuming it got ripped off and sent to the moon like the rest of the back end.

So, i need to replace it....the way i see it i've got 3 options...
- Spoken to a dealer and they said if i take the bike to them they can fit a new one and try and programme it up £500+ for the part + labour probs £750 by the time i walk out.
-Buy a whole new loom including all 5!!!!!!! ECUs second hand probs sub £500 but still lots of unknowns...potentially more expensive than dealer option by the time it's running.

or the third option which I'm weighting towards...

- Second hand MCU £150ish from eBay (Couple on there now fromstates/germany) and get it programmed up.

This 3rd option is the one I'm hoping someone knows more about than me.... Does anyone know if they can be programmed outside a dealer? Would it even need to be programmed or is it plug and play with that MCU? Anyone know anything at all about KTM software and can shed some light on it?

I love these bikes, had a 990 for 7 years before this one and bought another 1190 Adventure R after this one was written off such versatile bikes and I think it'd be a great motor to stick in something else!

Any help greatly appreciated.

PS, the front of the swingarm pivot forward was in good condition so if anyone is looking for any spares gimme a shout.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The only thing I can say is I remember someone posting either on here or the adventure bike forum asking for help...I think last summer. Someone had done similar to you, got a bike with no or a duff ecu and was trying to get another one to work. As far as I remember he didn't succeed.

Hopefully my memory is playing up (not unheard of!) and you have better luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts