KTM Owners Forum banner

Mefo v MotOz v Mitas

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Ship 
#1 ·
Yes, it's new tyres time for my old KTM 950 Adventure, which is ridden on roads for about 90% of the miles it does. However, I live up a dirt track, and the first few miles in any direction are up muddy, debris-strewn lanes with a green stripe down the middle. And I do like taking the 950 off highway, but not through massive ruts and mud-holes.

I've been running the Mefo Super/explorer combo for the last few years, and am delighted with the perfomance of the rear tyre. The front, however, doesn't induce confidence under heavy braking, and has worn faster than the rear, with a stepped wear pattern emerging.

Looking at the tyre market, all 3 of the above are currently available in the UK. Does anyone have comparative experience. In particular, if there is a front tyre that's better than the Mefo Explorer?

#6 ·
BD
Thanks for raising this...

Mefo rear has been the best all rounder.

Current front TKC 80 predictable longer lasting but gash in slippy off road.

MT21 lasts no time and cups badly.

Michelin safari good on road.

Michelin Desert scary on road probably the best off road.

I have a set of MotoZ tractionators MK2s..
... about to be spooned on hoping this thread will give feedback on what to expect....

#8 ·
That's totally true... but painful... It's alright on an MX bike... but for me if I'm going to fit a tyre I'm hoping it'll last for 1 million miles before I need to go through the pain of changing it out again... . Fitting tyres... Not my favourite thing to do especially when its cold.... Although That said they are pretty consistent off road...

#10 ·
Well, in the end I went for Mitas E07 front and E07+ rear. Interestingly, the E07 front appears to have a very similar pattern tread to the Mefo Explorer, but fits the other way around.
There's still a few miles to be done on the old tyres, but I'll give comparative feedback on the news in due course.
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.