KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I’ve just changed my oil and found metal shavings on the drain plug how bad is this, does anyone know the cause?

·
Premium Member
7,324 Posts
I would say thats a long time for a 125 ........ personally, if l was usinga 125 it would be getting oil changes more frequently than what the manual says. Use decent oil as well ........

When l had a 300, l did the oil every 10hrs and used decent fully synth.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
The oil colour is normal I’d say as you have ally plates in the box. My 150 get the same colour. The metal bits aren’t ideal but you’ll always get some on there. I’d put in fresh oil, run 10 hours and change again. Compare each plug appearance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say thats a long time for a 125 ........ personally, if l was usinga 125 it would be getting oil changes more frequently than what the manual says. Use decent oil as well ........

When l had a 300, l did the oil every 10hrs and used decent fully synth.
How many hours would you recommend, also what gear oil would you suggest I’ve been using motorex

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The oil colour is normal I’d say as you have ally plates in the box. My 150 get the same colour. The metal bits aren’t ideal but you’ll always get some on there. I’d put in fresh oil, run 10 hours and change again. Compare each plug appearance.
I’ll do that thank you, just changed oil I’ll run it for a few hours and change again and compare.

·
Premium Member
7,324 Posts
How many hours would you recommend, also what gear oil would you suggest I’ve been using motorex
No more than 10hrs. Of all the oils l have used, l have found castrol power 1 racing fully synth 10w 50 to be the best. Motul and Ipone after that.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I always get some 'grey mush' off my drain plug when I change my oil (300 EXC), as long as there are no big hard lumps of metal stuck to the magnet I wouldn't worry too much. (I'm sure that changing the oil frequently is a good idea though!)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Considering it looks to be the biggest KTM drain plug in the world, it is pretty normal lol. Joking aside, it looks fine - we race 125s and do oil changes every 2 to 3 hours and it always dirty from the clutch and there is always 'fur' on the magnet. We use Motorex but any synthetic motorcycle engine oil is fine. The 125s have very robust gearboxes. Bob

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
As above... good oil every 10hrs, keep an eye on it.

Want to keep it in for the recommended 20? Once you smell it you won’t again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was going to suggest flushing it out with a hosepipe on full blast but thought im to new to be taking such a piss

1 - 17 of 17 Posts