KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new set of Michelin Power Pure on my SMT 990 and I have mixed feelings about it. I'd be curious to know if anybody who tried them on a 990 shares my views?

They are supposed to be much lighter than other 2 compound tires and to allow faster steering. I must say that I was indeed impressed by how nimble the bike became. The slightest pressure on the handle bar makes the bike lean, it demands much less effort to enter into a tight bend and it’s a lot of fun to flip the bike back and forth in successions of left right curves.

However I find that in fast curves the bike wobbles and is quite unstable, too sensitive to the slightest movement. I am not sure if it’s my imagination but I also have the impression that even at normal speeds, the handling with a passenger in the back is much less stable and securing. I was riding with my 15 y.o. son in the back today and whenever he moved a bit I felt it more than before I had the Power Pures.

In a sense I feel like they are less forgiving and require a more precise piloting, i.e. when readjusting the lean angle one needs to be more careful / subtle than with other tires.

Is it just me? I read great reviews all over the web but I wonder if they are intended for a super moto (I assume most reviews were on sport bikes).

All of this being said I find their grip to be really great. When the tire skids e.g. on a white line, the feeling is much softer and progressive than with the original mount.

Mana

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can't help you much mate but since I've had my pilot powers on board (not pures) I found the same thing, very sensitive steering on fast long curves. Not a problem now as I've got used to them. I did once consider a steering damper at one stage:rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
These tryes are standard fitment on 06 berg 650sm got 3000miles out of the rear,
the front look like new as it tends to spend most of the time airbourne:eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've been googling and found several folks on a french SD forum sharing my experience. I'll see if I get used to it, may change for Sportmax if I don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts