KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this question has already been posted up before, if so I'm sorry!

Anyway has anybody tried the above tyres for green laning with a bit of road work in-between the lanes?

The blurb on the web states that they are a replacement for the AC10, this worries me a bit because I was going to replace both front and rear tyres, the AC10 front tyre was a pile of shite!

I know that there a better tyres but they cost more and the problem with road riding is that it seem to kill a rear tyre in just a few trips out even if I take it easy on the road which is a pain in the ass. These tracker tyres seem 'dirt' cheap which is a bonus.

Oh I run tubeliss, not sure if that matters or not.

Edit...just found this thread, its long! Michelin Tracker | KTM Owners Forum (ktmforum.co.uk)

The rear tyre seems OK but what do people reckon to the front both on and off road, is it an AC10 death trap?

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Just go for the michelin enduro mediums. Not too much more but a better tyre.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just go for the michelin enduro mediums. Not too much more but a better tyre.
I'm sure you are right in that the enduro meduim is a better tyre but according to Demon Tweeks there is quite a difference in price, 54 quid for a 120/90 tracker and 75 quid for the same size medium. I've run mediums, Mitas and other tyres, its the fact that they only last 2 minutes that bothers me!

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
So far so good with the Trackers and that is on a 690.
They are nothing like the awful old AC10.
80% of our trail riding is road work and I have had no problem up to 70mph. Not used them in the wet yet but an hour on the road each way to a probably wet Romney Marshes will tell next week.

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Maybe compromise and put the tracker on the rear.and the enduro on the front.

Reactions: sidecarbod

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far so good with the Trackers and that is on a 690.
They are nothing like the awful old AC10.
80% of our trail riding is road work and I have had no problem up to 70mph. Not used them in the wet yet but an hour on the road each way to a probably wet Romney Marshes will tell next week.
Cheers for the reply, I've just read the thread that I linked to, Pindie also reckoned the front was OK on the road so I'm going to buy a set and see what they are like.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Was riding with some guys at the weekend who said the Trackers were noisier on the road than the Mediums, but lasted longer.
A lot depends on where and what you ride...down 'ere in Devon and Cornwall, trials tyres are best most of the time. I wouldn't thank you for them in Cambs or Northants where you are riding in clay, but they rock here on the rocks!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
we use Michelin mediums front and rear trail riding so roads all that stuff involved both on tubliss...they last really bloody well grip on pretty much anything only gental type riding really we do though. when in wales on that sharp slicey type rock i run them a bit higher pressure as that stuff does like to slice! even then dog turd and its sorted ..i used an old dunlop in wales last week to use it up..i really noticed how good mich mediums really are fucking dunlop i hated it but still alive so maybe i really have been spoilt! we reckon that they last really really well so give them ago trackers are old mans tyres 😆 😆 😆 sorry david only joking;)

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
I’m still of the opinion that unless you are trying to win races that involve a lot of grass, trackers will do just fine. They are well priced, tough and road legal. Sharp edged tyres are not as good on rocks/tarmac as a tyre with a slightly rolled edge. Trackers come like this. There’s no edge to lose and the knob dimensions are bigger/taller than the medium enduro tyre. If I had a 4t or trail rode a lot I’d definitely use them all the time.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I can’t fault them but that’s all I do is fuck about on the bike, for under £100 for a pair they got to be worth a go.
Me too, got a pair on my FE350, it came with Goldentyre Front and I definately prefer the Tracker even at my slow pace, the rear originally had a Michelin Medium and the tracker seems to get more traction - but comparing a half worn tyre to a new one so not a fair comparison, but certainly no compliants as it finds grip on everything I ride on.

Had some AC-10's I was given with my DRZ400, first trail bike so did not have anything to judge them by, and comparing AC's on the DRZ when I was a total novice to Trackers on the Husky when I have a couple of years trail riding under my belt is also pointless.

The price is good and I cannot fault them for my use so will buy again.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well I've order two rears (120/90) and one front, I'll use one of the rears with my existing front tyre, when they are both knackered I'll replace the whole lot with a set of trackers, if they are great I'll let you know, if they a shit I might let you know! :p

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
980 Posts
I’ve just finished a 550 trail ride round the North on Trackers and was very pleased. I hated the AC10 front with a passion as it was truly dreadful, didn’t much care for the rear either. The Trackers are in a different league to the AC10.

Two of us used Trackers and one on Enduro mediums. After 550 miles of wet and dry road, grass, mud, ruts and rock the Trackers hadn’t worn much whereas the Enduro’s were already much more worn.
I’d buy them again over the Mitas I had fitted before.

Great for trail riding.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve just finished a 550 trail ride round the North on Trackers and was very pleased. I hated the AC10 front with a passion as it was truly dreadful, didn’t much care for the rear either. The Trackers are in a different league to the AC10.

Two of us used Trackers and one on Enduro mediums. After 550 miles of wet and dry road, grass, mud, ruts and rock the Trackers hadn’t worn much whereas the Enduro’s were already much more worn.
I’d buy them again over the Mitas I had fitted before.

Great for trail riding.

Cheers for that, I think that I have made a good choice in buying a set!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stuck a Tracker rear on my bike today and did 2 hours on the lanes with a bit of road work thrown in, its certainly better than a worn out Medium (which of course it would be!). The lanes were a mixture of hard packed dirt and really sloppy mud/clay. The tyre still looks brand new! 😀

·
Registered
555 Posts
Anyone know how the sizes work with the tracker. I usually run Mich Med 140. Do I need a 120 because it's a MX sized tyre? I might give one a go for chicken run in a couple of weeks. I've got a new Much med rear, but chicken run isn't FIM tyre so I'd rather keep it for a forestry enduro.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
110/100-18 is the same as a 140 medium. You can run a 120 mousse in it no problem.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ta. I've messaged the guy I get my tyres from to see if he's got that I can have when I pick up a new Medium. Oh and no mousse required, TUBLISS!! Haha

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Trackers definitely work well with Tubliss. I’ve run two rears on Tubliss with zero issues. It’s a tough tyre. It has a great rubber compound to. You’ll like it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Anyone know how the sizes work with the tracker. I usually run Mich Med 140. Do I need a 120 because it's a MX sized tyre? I might give one a go for chicken run in a couple of weeks. I've got a new Much med rear, but chicken run isn't FIM tyre so I'd rather keep it for a forestry enduro.
Go with the 120.its a big tyre have used several on my 250 & 300,s...140 would be more suited to a 690 it's a fat fuker

1 - 20 of 47 Posts