KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’ve run trackers front and rear and now got tracker rear and medium front. I do munch through the rear on the road but I guess wear is not too bad. I love the tracker front, wears great and feels good on the road - it’s even ok in the wet. The medium front is a lot grippier off road with more of a tendency to climb out of ruts, it’s a lot noisier on road and scary on wet tarmac.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
118 miles on the 690 today with 20 road miles each way at road speeds.
Tyres were fine up to 65 ish.
Even with a front puncture from a huge thorn for about a mile early on they weren’t too bad and the bike was rideable gently. Fortunately I have Bike Seal in the tubes and two bulbs of cyclists air bumped it up to 29psi (should be 22 but we left it there) and it was fine for the remaining 5 hours.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've done another 4 or 5 hours on the rear tyre now, maybe around 8 in total, it still looks great! Any other tyre that I've tried in the past would be 3/4 worn out by now. I'll be sticking with Trackers from now on.

Reactions: Burner and DavidS

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
This is down to what I said ages ago. I think the pre rounded knobs last much better as no sharp edge to lose. The only time this rounded edge works against you is on pure wet grass with firm soil below. On tarmac and rocks they are superb as no sharp edge. In mud, gravel and sand they work well due to big Mx type knobs. For the money there’s nothing that comes close.

Anyone found an obvious negative yet?

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
Not me yet.
Horse trials will answer the wet or long grass question…but, for that use, speeds are very low but it can still get tricky with a ton of horse liable to hit you so you need to get off the course as quick as possible.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
They aren’t that bad on grass to be fair. Yes they don’t have new sharp enduro tyre levels of grip but they do give you loads of warning they are about to slide. Good fun practice for drifting!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
They aren’t that bad on grass to be fair. Yes they don’t have new sharp enduro tyre levels of grip but they do give you loads of warning they are about to slide. Good fun practice for drifting!
The way that I see it is that they may not be as good as a brand new Medium or something like that but I would end up riding my bike with a worn out or nearly worn out Medium because they would wear so quickly, the Tracker is way better than a half worn out Medium!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Me sorted. People way better and faster than me liking them in all conditions.

Low price, good performance and longevity with reasonable road manners. Perfect

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sidewalls are stiff enough that you can carry on riding with a puncture. I once rode 30 miles home on tarmac, including a spell at about 70, and didn’t notice the rear was completely flat.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I’ve just fitted a brand new110 rear up for the Valleeeees next week. First one I’ve run so I’ll report back. As ‘bod says ^^ surely better than a worn out Medium. FYI 110 Tracker is same volume as 140 Medium so M14 fits perfect. Cheers Pindie😜😜👍⚙

Reactions: Pindie

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Cool!

The tyre sizes are very confusing between Mx and enduro sizing. I think you’ll find the 110 will work absolutely fine.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I asked my brother what he's got on his TE300, and he's got a 120. Now I'm confused Were both running TUBLISS, so not worried about mousse size. Should I go for 110 or 120 on my 350? I'll be honest, I don't understand the pros of running a smaller tyre when we're also all chasing grip. Is it a healing thing so lower powered bikes are more flickaboutable? Mine will be used predominantly for greenlaning and practising, so would the bigger tyre last longer?

·
Registered
969 Posts
This is from Al Ranger's website about the Tracker:

"Are you sure this size is for you?
Don’t forget the Michelin Tracker is a road-legal MX knobbly tyre, and confusingly MX tyres are sized differently than a conventional 140 enduro tyre. The width of a MX tyre is measured at the level base of the tread blocks, while for Enduro tyres it’s measured by the overall dimension, at the widest point which is the top of the tread blocks. Got that? Yes, we had to read it a few times too…"

I have a 140/80 Mitas EF07 on my 350 EXC-F (great tyre but totally scragged after 600 miles of Peak District trails).
Following Al's guidance, I measured across the knobbles across the full width of the side knobbles. 140mm as expected.

Measuring the carcase itself at the base of the knobbles. 110mm as predicted by Pindie.

Hope this clarifies.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just for anyone's info I'm running the 120/80 tracker, just by looking at it I would say that it does not look out of place on my 300, I did try measuring it across the knobs to compare it to the Medium that I was running but it was a bit pointless because the Medium was worn out.

Reactions: Ship

·
Premium Member
9,132 Posts
Just for anyone's info I'm running the 120/80 tracker, just by looking at it I would say that it does not look out of place on my 300, I did try measuring it across the knobs to compare it to the Medium that I was running but it was a bit pointless because the Medium was worn out.
Will you order same size at replacement time or go 140 ....... ??

Interested to try the tracker also.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts