KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
They gave me a couple of quid for TRF but they are well priced anyway.
The service is great.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Will you order same size at replacement time or go 140 ....... ??

Interested to try the tracker also.
I went for the 120 for a very scientific reason, Demon Tweaks did not have the 140 in stock, having said that the 120 has been fine so far. I might go for a 140 next time, I'm not too sure. I've actually got two 120 rears, one is on the bike now, the other will go on the bike when the front tyre gets replaced with a Tracker.

Reactions: Ship

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Will you order same size at replacement time or go 140 ....... ??

Interested to try the tracker also.
When I rung my tyre supplier they said a 140 Tracker will need a M18 mousse as Medium and Tracker measure up differently. As in my previous post a 110 Tracker is the same size as a 140 Medium. I fitted the M14 from my Medium into the Tracker, they have a very stiff sidewall.

FYI the Tracker was great in Wales plenty of grip and very little wear.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Just a quick update, I reckon I've done 8-10 hours on the rear tracker now, it still looks great, the knobs are not turning wedge shaped and have hardly worn at all. Any other tyre that I've tried in the past would be as bald as Harry Hill by now.

Reactions: Pindie

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I was out with mates at weekend, my 140 tracker measures bang on 140mm at widest point (outer knobs) mates 6 days 140 is only slightly narrower, and anothe rmate was running a 120 tracker and this was slightly narrower than the 140 Metzeler, I think a 110 tracker would probably be about the same width as a 120 Metzeler, certainly not the same size as a 140.

Not sure if to try a 120 next time, the 140 does looka bit big where it sits on the rim, and the 120 would probably be fine - but a 110 would be pretty skinny in comparison to a 140 Endure tyre.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
110 in mx size visually looks same as a 140 medium. It is not like the skinny 120 enduro tyre….

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I have now done about 250 road miles at up to 65mph and about the same on trails and grass (horse trials) but not much, if any, rocky stuff, and everything has been hunky dory. I’m very impressed with them, particularly as they are on a 690.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Looking at Michelin site it shows only a recomended front fitment; Which implies neither the 120 or 140 are recomended?

Here they explain the sizing;

So I would expect them to recomend the 120 Tracker for my bike.

110 in mx size visually looks same as a 140 medium. It is not like the skinny 120 enduro tyre….
As I said earlier, the 120 on my mates CRF looked (and maeasured) noticeably smaller than the 140 Metz 6 days on my mates FE350, and my 140 looked the biggest - but not massively larger than his Metzeler.

If they did a 130 I reckon it would be bang on the same size as the 140 Metz.

Unfortunately none of us wealthy enough to run mediums as that would be the more relevant comparison, but I am fairly certain a 120 tracker will be a bit smaller than a 140 medium and the 140 a bit bigger.

Might try the 120 next time as I doubt I would notice any difference either way.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I just rang Enduro Tyres to get the correct info.

·
Premium Member
9,278 Posts
Matey has just fitted a 120 tracker to his 525 and it looks fine and doesnt foul shock flap or anything. That is the size l will be getting ince current tyres are spent.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've got a tracker on the back of my 350 arm, and got a brand new Medi in the garage as well. I'll try and remember to measure them later.

I did another spint with the tracker rear yesterday, and other that a spill over some roots (although that wasy hamfistedness rather than the tyre!) It seemed to grip well. Not ridden with it in wet conditions yet, but I think I'll be using it for any mixed terrain non FIM events and see how it goes.

·
Registered
570 Posts

That's a 120 tracker next to a 140 Medium. I measured the widest parts of each and they were both within a couple of mm of each other at just over 130mm. I don't know if it would much difference when the Medium is mounted, probably not much I'd have thought. The medium does look more rounded, which I guess would make a difference if running bigger pressures with tubes, but with mousses, or like me Tubliss, then they all go flat at the bottom anyway!

ETA, the tracker is used, but only for 2 sprints which were mostly mud/grass and totaling about 3 hours, so not much wear on it.i dare say the medium would have had a less sharp edge by now, but not much.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Good to know, thanks for the effort.

What is surprising is the 120 tracker measures 130 across the widest point, and my 140 measures bang on 140 - although it might spring out wider on a bigger rim which may explain why there is not 20mm between my 140 and your 120.

I will try the 120 next time out, especially as my mouse has probably shrunk a load in the @18 months / 30 hours since it was last checked...

... Michelin claim they only last 6 months from fitting, this was on bike when I bought it so must at least 2 years old....

...But if its fucked I will just go to an HD tube, as I don't ride that fast, don't mind running 14-15 PSI and am not competing, just bloody inconvenient if it gets a flat on a day out / in the middle of nowhere.

Worth noting that at 30 hours of use, mainly trail riding with a few hours wobbling round an Enduro track it still has 9-10mm of tread depth on the centre knobbles, I did not measure it when new but reckon it has worn pretty well, and has not rounded off badly, the Medium rear the bike came with had really rounded off badly, the tracker just seems to wear down very evenly so blocks are still square rather than round....

...Probably got a good few hours left in it, especially during summer, so might ditch it when things turn boggy.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
That’s what I found with trackers. They wear well and evenly but with no sharp edge to lose there’s no sudden change in performance.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
So err... Trackers... Well I was going to say they are utter shite but then I remembered how "cheap" they are. So actually, for a budget tyre they aren't bad at all but compared to a tyre that you buy for performance they aren't up to scratch.

The rounded edges are lethal on grass, as you can imagine, they skate around all over the place on stones and rocks. But, after 65 miles of hard North Wales trail riding they are looking a little worn but not much. I swapped between hating them and then thinking they were ok, all day. I think the compound is ok (for what it is) but the carcass is very stiff so they ping off of stuff.

I think for general green laning on mixed terrain then they are actually a good bet. I was going to use this tyre at the D2D but after seeing how it is on rocks, I'm going to use something more reliable.

I did enjoy having a cheap tyre that wouldn't lose performance with wear though. It was nice to do the road work and other bits without giving a shit about wearing it out. I'd definitely use it again for trail riding but I can't see me buying another.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
They are bad on grass if your expecting medium type grip. For what they are though they provide excellent fun and training to explore the edge of grip at safe speeds. I’ve found them good on rocks once scrubbed in. That was with Tubliss though. They are a tough tyre so that does usually mean stiff.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts