KTM Owners Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Administrator
8,338 Posts
I've just bought a pair for the new 690. 90-90-21 and 140-80-18.

They sounded like the best around option.

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
Ah, that explains things BDA. Michelin must now be supplying trackers in enduro and MX sizes where before the measurements were mx only.

Does anyone actually know why/what the sizing differences are between the two measuring methods? Seems daft to me when a 110 mx rear is visually the same size as a 140 width in enduro sizing? Does enduro measure across the knobs and mx just the carcass?

·
Registered
478 Posts
We did a bit of green landing in mid Wales just after Xmas, and I had the tubliss pumped up to 20 psi cos we had a fair bit of road work to do. Mostly it was fine (ish) but on one wet rocky climb the bikes were going nowhere. My dad and my brothers mate turned back and went the long way round, but my brother and me percervered just for the training, but I knew with 4 psi I'd have been up there easily (or at least easier).
20PSI with TUbliss is not necessary and loses all benefit.Yes you can put a plug in a puncture but the whole point is traction at 3-8 psi. I run mine at 8psi on the front and usually 5 psi on the rear regardless of if I am in Surrey or Wales. Ive had punctures in Wales and just plugged them on the trail.
I do a lot of road miles between lanes down in Surrey/Sussex/Hampshire. If anything running the TUbliss and low PSI appears to keep a fairly square edge throughout the life of the tyre. I now run a rear down to 3mm center knobs and still get decent traction on the trails. If anything, its made me very, very lazy about finally getting round to changing the rear tyre.

20 PSI on knobblies on tarmac just sounds like a slide waiting to happen :eek:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You have a beer fridge in your garage!!!! not jealous at all.
Every garage should have one, picked it up for £40 about 5 years ago , best buy ever!

It’s not ginger, if that’s the 140 then that must be in enduro sizes? MX is totally different. A 110 width MX tyre isn’t narrower than a rear 120 enduro tyre. It’ll be exactly the same width visually as an enduro 140......

....It grips excellently on anything other than wet off camber grass - this is no concern for trail riding/training/messing about.....

...Even at 6 psi on tubliss or 10 psi on tubes it’ll be fine on tarmac for the rear, 10-12psi front. Arguably safer than 20 psi as you’ll have more tyre in contact with the road. Trackers are a stiffish construction so don’t get wobbly either even when run flat.
It has 140/80 written on the Tyre wall ;-)

As a (novice) trail rider I can't fault it, only used it on a wet winters day, mainly mud and deep puddles with a bit of gravel and grass - and the FE350 was lifting the front wheel under acceleration on wet grass in 2nd and 3rd gear - more than enough grip for me.

I have been running low pressures on the road 10-12 rear / 12 Front on the DR and FE and found it OK on the road and OK in the mud, and at my pace the puncture risk is quite low (HD tubes fitted)

Plus at under £100 a pair compared to the "ultimate" of Michelin Mediums and Mouses at £300 I can afford to replace them more often, hoping to get a seasons riding from a Front (60-70 hours mixed trail / road / play days) but even if I need 2 rears in that time it is still a cheap years riding (reckon on an average of 1 day riding per month over the year) compared to when I did track days pissing about in the dirt is er, dirt cheap ;-) Not so weather dependent either.

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
Fronts last ages, even with road work. At either end the rounded knobs mean you don’t notice any sudden drop in performance like you do with a tyre that had sharp edges. You can’t fault the price. I’ve been using trackers for messing about then mediums for races. Makes life far cheaper.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If the 110 and 140 are the same width fitted, the only difference is the load rating. The 110 is 64R and the 140 is 70R. Both would be fine on a 690.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
What do you reckon these would be like running tubliss at the Dawn to Dusk or other hard based track?

Reckon they'll stand up to cuts and provide good grip on the rocks?

What other cheapish tyre would be better?

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
Good question!

I haven’t been able to damage one yet even riding around with no air or valves in them on Tubliss on all sorts of terrain. In summer use I think there’s nothing better for gravel/rocky trails. No sharp block edge to lose. They seem tough. Long knobs for any mud. Cheap and decent rubber compound. What’s not to like?

Walters arena is a strange place. There’s no real mud. It’s a gritty shitty gravel with plenty of sharp edge rock. All tyres take a battering there. I’d like to think the trackers would be perfectly fine there.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Good question!

I haven’t been able to damage one yet even riding around with no air or valves in them on Tubliss on all sorts of terrain. In summer use I think there’s nothing better for gravel/rocky trails. No sharp block edge to lose. They seem tough. Long knobs for any mud. Cheap and decent rubber compound. What’s not to like?

Walters arena is a strange place. There’s no real mud. It’s a gritty shitty gravel with plenty of sharp edge rock. All tyres take a battering there. I’d like to think the trackers would be perfectly fine there.
That's what I'm thinking. Any tyre will get wrecked after 3-4 hours of hard riding at that place so I'm tempted just to get a tracker and then chuck it afterwards. Or would a medium hold up so well that there will be good life left even afterwards?

I'm more concerned about running a tyre with a thin carcass as it sounds like cuts from rocks is the big danger there.

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
Cuts from sharp edges and impacts are almost inevitable there. A medium would be toast and expensive to just destroy, if there was grass for 50% the lap it might be worth it for the first hour. After that it’d be pointless. If the rules allow a tracker then why not?

I have used a trials rear tyre there in the past. They work well due to the generally firm nature of ground and tall sidewall. Tracker will be better in any muddy bits though and a lot tougher.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I did 2 man 24 dawn to dusk last year. I used the medium that I had out on in March for the snow run and had used in 4 events plus a bit of forestry type trail riding. As it was so dry last year for D2D I put in more pressure than usual, I think about 10-12 psi and had no problems with grip and didn't get any punctures. I did about 10 hours there on that tyre and whilst not good enough for another event, I'm still using it on my spare wheels for practise and green laning, and it'll probably last until the spring, by which time my current race mediums will be ready for a change. I have thought about a tracker for practise riding, but then I wouldn't be using up my part worn mediums when they come off my race wheels. I think we're gonna do. 24 D2D again this year, so depending what the weather is looking like and what part worns we've got, the tracker may be a good shout. Although this year an old fashion trail tyre would probably have been fine.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts