KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are in circulation! Endurotyres have a pile of them. They are so sticky they are all stuck together on pallets!!!

I have one coming. They only do a 140/80-18 rear but it’s crazy soft and reassuringly expensive at £100. It should grip like sh1t to a blanket.

I’m trying it with a 120 m18 mousse as that’s what they say is best. It’ll go on the 150 and other than turning it occasionally it’ll be on till dead. Only time will tell for life on this and if it stays on the rim with a 120 mousse (two rim locks though so it should do). I’ll use it on a bit of everything but primarily forest, rocks, logs and roots.

Up front I’m going to put it with a starcross 5 soft mx tyre 80/100-21 size. This obviously is not an FIM set up as you’d want mediums for that.

This is Stuart Macks one from Valleys Extreme. It’s done qualifying and main race. He came 5th on a 300 so it’s not had an easy time.

A8DFC1AD-8E49-4AA5-AB48-DF20B8132281.jpeg

Ashley Greedy was also on one. I think he was second in silver.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Why mousse and not tublips? And why putting it with a Starcross 5 soft?? Surely you want something grippier?

What sort of riding are you testing it on/for?

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I’ve done over 700 hours between my Tubliss sets with nothing more than the odd extra rubber rim lock block and precautionary inner core changes. My TE is set up how I like. Any change I make I go to where I was before. Pretty much nothing left to fettle. I’m bored.

I’ve not used Michelin mousses since about 2012/2013 so thought I should in order to see how the new generation tyres and mousses work compared to the Tubliss. I’ll soon find out as if I start to struggle in events I would normally do well at then the mousse might be the issue. I obviously won’t have punctures but didn’t ever get stopped by one with the Tubliss either.

I’ve used the sx5 tyres before in H&H races with good results on Tubliss. It’ll be good to use them again as they are a similar carcass to mediums but just bigger knobs. I was using the MX33’s as a H&H tyre but I’m not overly impressed with the front. The mx3s was far better I thought so back to the Michelin set up to see what gives.

I’ll be using this set up for everything bar FIM races. Then it’ll be back to mediums.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well, I’ve done over 700 hours between my Tubliss sets with nothing more than the odd extra rubber rim lock block and precautionary inner core changes. My TE is set up how I like. Any change I make I go to where I was before. Pretty much nothing left to fettle. I’m bored.

I’ve not used Michelin mousses since about 2012/2013 so thought I should in order to see how the new generation tyres and mousses work compared to the Tubliss. I’ll soon find out as if I start to struggle in events I would normally do well at then the mousse might be the issue. I obviously won’t have punctures but didn’t ever get stopped by one with the Tubliss either.

I’ve used the sx5 tyres before in H&H races with good results on Tubliss. It’ll be good to use them again as they are a similar carcass to mediums but just bigger knobs. I was using the MX33’s as a H&H tyre but I’m not overly impressed with the front. The mx3s was far better I thought so back to the Michelin set up to see what gives.

I’ll be using this set up for everything bar FIM races. Then it’ll be back to mediums.
I've been using SC5 soft front since summer and haven't noticed much difference from the enduro Medium fronts overall. Maybe lasting a little longer & maybe slight less traction on rocks but it's been good & using a SC5 medium on the rear with old M14 mousse. Good all-rounder if you don't need FIM spec.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how it gets on with general race use. I don't think it would give me any advantage for the races I do, mainly time cards with a few h&hs. I'd imagine a muddy h&h wouldn't be its thing, and fore roads on a time card would likely destroy it.i can't see how it wouldbe good for something like valleys extreme though. A guy I've done couple of events with did it and used a mitas double green, I was surprised how much softer it felt compared to my usual Mich meds. It would probably be a bit wasted in the Snow run though. Lol.

·
Registered
587 Posts
what is evreyones preferred tyre for general enduro use?
Michegibtaszeler, 140 width with a worn techno mousse stuffed inside a sliced open Lucolli tube, then fit this inside tubliss system with 4ltr of Stans race sealant, 2 tubs of silicone grease, 1 tube of michelin mousse lube. And make sure it's got minimum 3 rim locks & 2 green stripes with zero PSI in tire. Anything else is wrong.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Other than about 10 people or so on the planet me neither but I’m keen to try one. Trials rubber in an enduro pattern could be great. Might last 2 minutes or could actually be worthwhile. The sticky rubber will off set the mousse I’m hoping and give Tubliss levels of grip but no puncture chance. All with a new mousse so less chance of bashing a rim. We will see.

£100 is still a savage price but as people are still buying £9k plus dirt bikes it isn’t that bad in comparison?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Big money but if you're racing these proper extreme events then you're already committed to a fair bit of cost. If this is as good as it's supposed to be then the extra £35 is pocket change - the amount of smashed headlights, levers, sub frames, pipes, plastics at Valleys extreme! How much better (if at all?) it is than the super soft Mitas would be the interesting thing

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The tyres arrived. All wrapped up but will get a look later.

The Mitas is very soft. It will be good to see a comparison. Decent rubber investment cost that doesn’t skate off sideways whilst holding pressure over a slab/roots/logs on a climb is definitely better than replacing levers, cases, throttles, plastics like you say. That type scenario kills confidence quickly. We’ve all watched someone stuck on a piffling little ledge and fall off heavily sideways. Friction gives you drive to get over it easier (in theory:D).

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
You’d be better off spending the money on a training day.
You need to take advantage of the extra grip.
No amount of sticky rubber will improve your talent.
You see so many people revving the fuck out of their bikes on rocks and roots when they get stuck.
Your super sticky tyre won’t last very long if you’re doing that.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
You’d be better off spending the money on a training day.
You need to take advantage of the extra grip.
No amount of sticky rubber will improve your talent.
You see so many people revving the fuck out of their bikes on rocks and roots when they get stuck.
Your super sticky tyre won’t last very long if you’re doing that.
Yeah but Pindie is a super hero.

And I dunno.. I'm shit but having a tubliss and a maxxis on the back dramatically improved my riding "ability".

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I can’t see it being any better than the seriously under rated Maxxis Extreme. That out performs and outlasts the Mitas double green for the same money so the Michelin will do well to be worth the extra £25.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I can’t see it being any better than the seriously under rated Maxxis Extreme. That out performs and outlasts the Mitas double green for the same money so the Michelin will do well to be worth the extra £25.
Has anyone ever used them? I've never even heard of them. What are they?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts