KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
54B085E3-44C1-4E96-B517-4E66FACAA5A7.jpeg FA4D9C52-9618-4D4A-9019-14256F4B2FCB.jpeg 8A5364AD-EECD-43E3-B88F-583A17491ADA.jpeg D368C688-74C6-4040-ABD2-2ECCAB508FAB.jpeg

Fitted this morning. Rode this afternoon. 45 miles of mixed forestry, rocky streams/climbs, muddy stone tracks, roots, general woods and forestry brash/logs. Not going silly and spinning to death for no reason but riding normally in the bits that matter. Very wet. Very leafy. I don’t think this tyre is for an aggressive wheel spinning type rider. It won’t last long but if you are smooth and maybe have some trials throttle experience I reckon you’ll love this tyre.

Starcross 5 soft front. First half hour a bit sketchy up front with a brand new mousse and tyre in wet woods as last time I was on mousses was 2018 W2D! After 30 mins though and some fork clicker tweaks it felt ace. The sx5 soft feels very much like anything else at around 10 psi but it’s really good on side slopes and flat turns covered in leaves. No complaints.

Rear Xtrem. As expected it grips and rolls into corners like a medium. Feels really smooth and doesn’t break traction on rock slabs on the 150. Bear in mind it as a new 120 mousse in it felt like an Mx tyre at around 6 psi on Tubliss at first which isn’t bad at all brand new. 30 mins in though and you suddenly realise how much you spin with normal tyres as when it grips you just get drive. Obviously new knobs are helping in soft stuff/mud but it gets great drive on muddy stony tracks. One uphill rocky stream I ride you normally pick a gear and throttle position and hang on, paddle and battle up it. With the xtrem you still paddle in places but you get better drive which means you can lift the front over edges and ledges easier. This is a small difference but over a three hour race on this type of stuff and you’d be less tired for sure and getting drive where others are not.

Anyone using this tyre at Tong will have an advantage I reckon. Without doubt it’s crazy expensive but it does work. It’s also got two (white) stripes on it so now you can get a Michelin Extreme tyre with stripes!....if you can afford it.

It’ll end up with a nickname of “the rich mans advantage” very soon I reckon.

I’ll definitely be getting another even at £99 and use it on events with stony going or places like Nantmawr and Tong.

I’ll now ride this one till dead/bald to see how long it lasts.

Reactions: smilervx

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
BB57 seemed to make good use of the Xtrem at Tong. Two other bikes from the same company and not using it still did well but a fair bit behind. All those top boys are ninja grade riders as well. Can a tyre make that much difference? Who knows but the Xtrem definitely gives higher friction on rocks, muddy rocks etc.

·
Registered
594 Posts
BB57 seemed to make good use of the Xtrem at Tong. Two other bikes from the same company and not using it still did well but a fair bit behind. All those top boys are ninja grade riders as well. Can a tyre make that much difference? Who knows but the Xtrem definitely gives higher friction on rocks, muddy rocks etc.
Its not about the tyre.... Jarvis did may years on golden tyre remember won lots then

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Can’t disagree about the results being solely down to a tyre, I’m guessing all the top guys are on a sticky tyre and drilled mousse as well? BB57 was on fire either way.

Ricky Wiggins was also on an Xtrem and 120 mousse. He was first expert, 7th overall and ahead of a few championship class riders.

All I’m saying is anyone who has used one is very happy with them so far. Maybe the Xtrem is the same level as a gummy GT or a gummy Mitas? Maybe better? Maybe not? Husky/Bolt/Jarvis seem to think it’s worth using, they certainly didn’t stick with the Gibson or others they must’ve tried at length. It’s Michelin’s first sticky extreme type tyre though and immediately it’s up there with established ones. That’s a great effort.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
@Pindie: could pls check if it says "FIM" printed on the sidewall of the Michelin Enduro Xtreme?

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Definitely says NHS. I’ll check re FIM.

Reactions: steveman

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Vid from a ride with it.

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, it’s like a bush pig laser fairy. Gets mega traction from zero revs right through the revs and turns fast. That single track hill is steep and long, 150 is easy going up it.

The Xtrem is bloody good too, you don’t realise how much spin you normally get until you’re not getting any other than drive on some surfaces. It just lifts the front all the time. Bear in mind it’s a brand new mousse in it and I’m not used to using them either. I’ve been on Tubliss for ages and low pressure but I really can’t fault how it hooks up as it is, no fancy shock either- biggest difference is seat height. It’s now about 30mm higher due to the mousse. I’ve got gangly legs though.

In non race use its lasting very well. If you ride rocky or stony ground it’s well worth trying or if you like trials tyres. The only surface it might not be better on would be pure lush grass but then there’s the medium for that.

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Weirdly not, even with a new mousse in it. The carcass and rubber is softer than the rear version it seems. No issues so far, grip increases the more you lean on soft ground. The rear sx5 is much more stiff rubber blocks. As far as I know the “soft” part in the name comes from intended ground for it to be used on and not the rubber compound or the construction of the tyre. The sx5 soft rear (and front) is for wet/mud conditions on an MX track hence stiff rubber so knobs don’t bend over. The gaps between knobs are wider apart on sx5 soft than they are on sx5 medium rears. Not to be confused with the Medium enduro tyre. Perhaps the Medium front enduro tyre might work even better on wet roots and rocks. I’ll find out soon as I’ll be putting one on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Funny thing I was looking into mx tyres at the weekend to use on a couple of grassy/muddy hare and hounds up in Rhyader. I was looking at the Sx5 soft front and rear to use just for those races. I was wondering whether the soft bit was soft compound or soft ground. It would be hard to justify a soft compound that would wear quickly, but if they are still a nice firm compound, then a pair should last me a few seasons if I only use them for the 2 grassy h&hs each season. How does sizing compare against enduro tyres? I've currently got 100/100 front and 140/80 rear, both Mich meds, but mx sizing is wierd.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You’d want an 80 or 90/100-21 front sx5 soft and a 110/100-18 sx5 soft rear. The 110 is like a 140 medium. It ain’t a skinny, that’s the 100/100-18 for 125s.
Are you using on mousses? If so they are designed to work with them but I have also used them on Tubliss with great results. You’ll easy see two races a year out of them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You’d want an 80 or 90/100-21 front sx5 soft and a 110/100-18 sx5 soft rear. The 110 is like a 140 medium. It ain’t a skinny, that’s the 100/100-18 for 125s.
Are you using on mousses? If so they are designed to work with them but I have also used them on Tubliss with great results. You’ll easy see two races a year out of them.
Cool cheers. I'm on tubliss so should be fine. Narrower or wider front for a 350, there should be plenty of weight to push in the wider tyre on the thing, it's like a ?

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Went to the seaside again. It’s bloody ace on rocks!

I used it as travelling marshal at the Snowrun last week, 80 miles ish. On the stone climbs and the roots it was excellent. It’s had some serious use now on the 150. It’s worn but not destroyed. I’ll be able to turn it and get another few weeks from it I reckon. Well worth the money if you want more grip on rocks, roots and such like.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts