KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends.

I have the possibility to get my hands on a fairly priced Mivv Speed Edge exhaust for my ktm 1090 adventure '18 model. Previously I've looked for a Wings exhaust.

The used, as new, mivv is less than 50% the cost of a new wings exhaust. To me the sound seems similar between the two, and size seems to be quite identical. What would you do?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Haven't had the mivv but had a GPR on my 1050 before fitting the wings (only bought cos I got it cheap second hand). I didn't notice any difference in performance or noise, the only benefits I found were the looks.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
They look pretty good I think. The standard can is super heavy so this has to be a marked improvement in my opinion - get it bought, fitted and post a pic!

Wings advice is to run at least their large bore baffle to prevent the need to remap so if you keep something in there the bike should run just fine.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Haven't had the mivv but had a GPR on my 1050 before fitting the wings (only bought cos I got it cheap second hand). I didn't notice any difference in performance or noise, the only benefits I found were the looks.
i brought a MIVV for the BF 1090, looks pretty good, well made aswell i reckon, he keeps baffles in as leaves for work at 5am ...but still sounds good..i havent got a picture to show you at moment no reason to not buy one !

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
They are pretty much all the same, they calculate the length of inner tube and allow for perforations. This is to keep pulse wave happy, then it just a case of looks and how much they can sell it for, after-market cans have a huge mark up for what they are. Basically its an empty can stuffed full of wadding to absorb the sound waves.....OEM exhausts normally contain baffles which do the same thing but create slight back pressure*(contradiction) which isn't ideal but even cheaper and maintenance free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks, I just made a deal on the mivv and a short wind screen! Looking forward to getting it fitted found a sound comparison on YouTube: https://youtu.be/WtjbOyuUP88

I like it.

If I remove the DB-killer, will I need a remap then?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If I remove the DB-killer, will I need a remap then?
It just depends on the AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) as removing the cat and silencing can encourage the bike to run lean & the bigger the through bore the more likely it is to be lean, so by keeping the baffle there you keep some of the 'back pressure' effect..

What I can tell you is that Wings (ex. Akrapovic employees) advise running with the larger of their 2 baffles is fine with standard map and removing the large baffle definitely requires a map. Best advice is to have a dyno run and see what you've got with the can on.

Personally I'm happy with the aesthetics and sound of the Wings with the large baffle & on longer runs the novelty of a booming exhaust soon wears off..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It just depends on the AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) as removing the cat and silencing can encourage the bike to run lean & the bigger the through bore the more likely it is to be lean, so by keeping the baffle there you keep some of the 'back pressure' effect..

What I can tell you is that Wings (ex. Akrapovic employees) advise running with the larger of their 2 baffles is fine with standard map and removing the large baffle definitely requires a map. Best advice is to have a dyno run and see what you've got with the can on.

Personally I'm happy with the aesthetics and sound of the Wings with the large baffle & on longer runs the novelty of a booming exhaust soon wears off..
Thanks! Will not remove cat, I only got the slip on. Will test and see. Theres a motorcycle Dyno that just established a filial here in Oslo, so will consider going for a visit.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Thanks! Will not remove cat, I only got the slip on. Will test and see. Theres a motorcycle Dyno that just established a filial here in Oslo, so will consider going for a visit.
Good point & I suspect it might be Wings being over careful as with the Cat up stream of the end can still it's less dramatic than a de-cat..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts