KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

In 2800 miles from new i've destroyed the OEM Michelin Pilot Power that was fitted to the rear, yet my front tire is absolutely fine.

Now, I want a harder tire for my rear tire, BT023 seems to be getting good rep. I dont think I need a super sticky thing, i'm not a mercenary.

Does anyone know why my local friendly tire fitting people are not happy combining a new Bridgestone BT023 on the rear with the existing Michelin Pilot Power on the front?

They're giving me some moans about rear has to be less grippy than the front. Right, well afaik the front Pilot will be gripper than the to be fitted rear BT023.

Am I wrong? Anyone shed any light?

Rich

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Dunno but mine is lighter and im happy as long as my front grips like shit any day weather etc :) Not to bothered about the back wandering off now and again :p

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
A lot of tyre places don't like straying from the recommended fitments for your bike. Have you tried removing the wheel yourself and taking the loose wheel in rather than the bike?

Bill

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Bunter - this place will do it if I say please. However they are saying it would be "unsafe". It'd be an unsafe bike with an unsafe tire configuration. This BT023 is a ktm authorised tire for my bike; they're saying they dont want to fit a tire that doesn't match the front one that isnt being replaced.

Would this be unsafe? Apparently this is not a law, according to them, just their own guidelines and legal safeguards from being sued.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
It's not unsafe to mix tyres. The last 3 rears haven't matched the 2 fronts I've had. Loose wheels is the way forward. If they tell you that it's unsafe, illegal or not their policy to fit non matching tyres just find another garage.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would say nearly 3000 miles out of a rear tyre isn't that bad to be honest? Depends how your ride of course but if you are giving it beans and its a 70hp big single I think the mileage is good. The other point is by going harder you will sacrifice a little grip. On a bike I would prefer grip. Its all personal opinion of course. When my tyres wear I will go for pilot road 3 or Avon distanza.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys, wheel is off now and it's going in for a new one. Smth with more stamina than the Pilot Power.

I'm going to mix them, it's hardly like it's a roller blade versus an ice skate - it's still going to have a very grippy tire. Just not anower Pilot. Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts