KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo people, how long can you leave mooses in a tyre, they are well lubed with the proper stuff.
I am using them for my off road tour Taurus Trax here in Turkey so its bloody hot.
I normally do about 100 miles per day and a tour is 5 days.
I am thinking I should take them out at the end of a tour and then relube them if the same tyre is to be fitted?
Should they be taken out and "rested" when not in use?
I have been using double tubes up to now as this was the best option here.

I am using MT 16's which work good in the rocks out here and have nice soft walls.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The thing to be careful of is when they dry up and then get hot.
As you're riding they are constantly being compressed and squished - no problem whilst they are well lubed.
When the lube dries out they rub against the tyre and get hot, eventual rubbing them self away with the friction and turn to powder.

However trail riding pace shouldn't be too harsh on them.
I've destroyed a mousse during an mx session and also one recently at a fast bumpy hare n hounds. Both due to the above effect.

I don't think taking them out to rest them will achieve anything but you should certainly take them out and re-lube them regularly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i will relube them regularly. thanks for the advice. We shall see how long they last. I have tried every other anti flat solution and none could hack the rocks out here. Tyre balls were the best feel, but i burst 5 a day! Tubliss was great with brand new expensive tyres but you have to use strong wall tyres and that sort of defeats the object! The cheapest option was double tubes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mousses will be fine for that kind of riding. Like I said they just don't last long on flat out fast type stuff when they get dry.

When they start to get too soft you can also wrap an old tube round them to pad them out.

You'll find with a brand new mousse they are very hard and won't give alot of feel. When they bed in they do get softer.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
What is the time scale between tours? They do take on the shape of the rim after a while so I'd say take enmity out if there is a long gap between. But if its only a week or so then leave them in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts