KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More Air Into A 990 SMR Airbox -DONE!, with pics.

Afternoon gents

OK, been reading shitloads about MH airbox etc, I had pods on a previous Ducati and the induction noise was too loud drowning out the sound system behind.

So in an effort to get a little more air into the airbox I have bought the two side covers from KTM $8.40 NZD each (about 3.80 your pounds) and will perforate them with approx 4 - 5 mm holes, I have also removed my inlet snorkel.

The original snorkel opening is 85 x 30 and with that removed is has a 91 x 47 hole to breath through so it is 1.68 times the size and the intake tract is some 190 mm shorter, instead of the snorkel pointing at your nuts the intake is at the front allowing more cooler air in.

Obviously all this won't allow the same volume of air as the MH airbox but will certain drop the restriction substantially enough to make it far better at the top end anyway.

Just thought I would share this for anyone contemplating a bit more air without doing the full monty MH assembly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I remember an airbox mod on Monomaniacs when the first 950adv came out,will try and find it later.
Sweet, any other input is cool.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
See X bikes tune on 950 SM .....you just remove snorkel and doors......it will need to be mapped as it makes a big difference to the mid range on 950 and requires a main jet change up several sizes (Power commader required on 990 motors)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm getting the NWR? filter (or is it MHR?), with the snorkel and sides removed on my 990 SMT. Anywho, spoke to Dave at X-bikes and he offers an ECU re-map rather than a power commander, saves £200 over the price of a PCV.
GPR cans getting delivered today, so hopefully I can report on the airbox, zorsts and re-map next week.
As long as I can get the bloody thing to run smooth around town I'll be happy - it's pretty well awesome everywhere else.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine runs smooth, just rich so the additional easy air is what I am looking for, mate of mine has a PCV and Autotune on his Hypertard and this is saving fuel and adding power simply by running optimal to 13.2:1, huge minuses in the middle where the DP ECU is over fueling thus I believe the KTM will probably be similar.

Gonna do my perf tomorrow, let ya know the results.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should add my bike has the latest AKRA map, Leos, snorkel off etc and has be tuned at sea level, we live 350 m above sea level which on all previous bikes has proven to run richer at this height.

The side cover perf mod may help level things out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mwr filter

I'm getting the NWR? filter (or is it MHR?), with the snorkel and sides removed on my 990 SMT. Anywho, spoke to Dave at X-bikes and he offers an ECU re-map rather than a power commander, saves £200 over the price of a PCV.
GPR cans getting delivered today, so hopefully I can report on the airbox, zorsts and re-map next week.
As long as I can get the bloody thing to run smooth around town I'll be happy - it's pretty well awesome everywhere else.[/Q

Hi just looking for a mwr filt myself,where you gettin yours from?,think speedycom are the uk importers they claim 10 extra horses for a new R1 on tha webshite!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Job done, when i need my paper filter replacement I will get K&N or similar but in between I have opened my side covers, put in some groovy stainless perf sheet in place. I reckon they look ok and you have to look for them so they are not in ya face.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Other side

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I do, I have the resistor as well to stop the FI light coming on.

One thing I have noticed is that it is popping now since doing the ECU, when it was lean it didn't really do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts