KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, following on from Gordo's thread, is anyone interested in doing a trip to Morocco next year?

I'm keen, can take longer periods off work if I have suitable notice

April or September seems to be the preferred dates. I'm good for either

Would people prefer to wing it, camping etc or go with a "tour guide" like Moto Morocco?

I've read a lot of people's ride reports, but if anyone who's been has anything to say I'm all ears

If we make a plan I'll keep everything updated in this first post to keep it easy to read

23/11/2009:
Videos from farmboy's Morocco trip:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194197

What?

The idea of the trip is to find our own adventure in Morocco, to find as much off-road riding as we want and challenge ourselves by gently pushing our limits. To experience the culture and varying peoples to be found in...

No wait that sounds really gay...

Get your bike, get your kit and let's go see what off-roading's like in Morocco hey?!?!

Who?

TLW - Any date
simplyexploring - Any date
joneswgareth - Pref April
Gordo - Busy 2wks in April
DG - Pref September
Mark_Hutch - Any date
dutchoven - Interested in September
RichardC - Interested - April preferred

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the type of off-roading depends on where you go

I'd intended for it to be a slightly challenging trip rather than a string of photo ops connected by gravel roads, but I'm a total greenhorn when it comes to riding off road so challenging for me would probably be only slightly tricky for an experienced rider two up

My vision was for riding similar to the vids from "farmboy" - I'll dig up his video thread on the UK GS forum...

ETA: Farmboy's video link:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194197

·
Registered
219 Posts
me me me me me me :D

Always wanted to do Morocco, but never found anyone to go with me:frown:

I happy to do a trip and wing it! after all its what adventures are all about

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mr Wolf
What bike are you planning on taking?

DG
There are alternate routes to most places that have tarmac, so no problem with following someone on an alternative route and meeting up later.

I had planned a route for September but had to pull out due to work.
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37383
Some of it copied from the link in the post.

R

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'd be available for this, probably April is better as i'm in Canada for the summer next year. Have done research on Morocco from the original thread and have been staring at a map dreaming.
I wouldn't want to do a guided tour at all, not my thing unless it was serious off road course with a trials bike then I can't see the point in them.

Count me in, and lonewolf-if you want someone tohelp with all the major planning then drop me a PM

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
So, following on from Gordo's thread, is anyone interested in doing a trip to Morocco next year?
I know the original thread's gone quiet, but I'm still keen to go.

The biggest hurdle appears to be getting to and through Spain: the overnight boat to Santander only runs twice a week, and neither crossing is at a weekend. It's also a bit pricey and ~£315 for a bike and rider in a 2-berth cabin. Obviously if there are more of us we can share cabins to cut that down a bit (they have 4-berth cabins too).

Getting through Spain is a 500 mile motorway run, although I'm told it's not as bad as it sounds.

Ferries to Cueta run pretty much hourly, and are ~£115. From reading around, the suggestion is to cross in to Morocco in the morning to allow plenty of time to get through the border.

Once in Morocco, we can go pretty much where we like - and if we don't want to do too much two-up trail-riding then the proper roads aren't too bad.

I'd love to do down to the Western Sahara, although that doesn't seem the best of ideas because it's a disputed territory with lots of check-points, and unleaded petrol isn't readily available.

As for timing, spring is preferred because it's cooler and I come from the frozen north and might melt in 40C heat - although someone's stuck something in my diary right in the middle of April :hmh:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm going but will be doing it last 3 weeks in March but intend going further south to Western Sahara this year so blasting straight down the West Coast I'm affraid, which will not suit anyone if they are wanting to see some of Morroco.

DG, mate, only the very easy ones are suitable two up and even then one-up without luggage would be better. Stick to the tarmac and just enjoy the place. Righanger is right, every place a track leads, so does tarmac in some form or another.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Was thinking of doing Morocco next year but didn't want to go on my own

How long are you going for? Could be up for either April or September

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds good to me;)

Could be up for some of this
Either April or Sept would work for me.

Would rather wing it than do a tour

Bring it on:)

Mark

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thats mine nailed down today 14 March - 2 April, so it will be a little early for you by the sounds of it.

Mark, tours are sh*te. Just set off each day and see what happens. They are always the most memerable and er.... adventurous. Moroccans are lovely people and friendly, spent more nights invited in by families in the hills and villages than any hotel you care to mention.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Remember to take your warranty card with you.
I was brought all the way home when the bike broke down in March.
KTM(europ-assist) cover you for breakdown in Morocco.

R

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I was brought all the way home when the bike broke down in March.
Should have given us a shout - I'm not that far from March.

Shame my bike's out of KTM Assist cover now as it might have been useful over there. I've had a tip about alternative cover from the Spanish company Repsol than covers all countries bordering the Med. though.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts