KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, following on from Gordo's thread, is anyone interested in doing a trip to Morocco next year?

I'm keen, can take longer periods off work if I have suitable notice

April or September seems to be the preferred dates. I'm good for either

Would people prefer to wing it, camping etc or go with a "tour guide" like Moto Morocco?

I've read a lot of people's ride reports, but if anyone who's been has anything to say I'm all ears

If we make a plan I'll keep everything updated in this first post to keep it easy to read

23/11/2009:
Videos from farmboy's Morocco trip:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194197

What?

The idea of the trip is to find our own adventure in Morocco, to find as much off-road riding as we want and challenge ourselves by gently pushing our limits. To experience the culture and varying peoples to be found in...

No wait that sounds really gay...

Get your bike, get your kit and let's go see what off-roading's like in Morocco hey?!?!

Who?

TLW - Any date
simplyexploring - Any date
joneswgareth - Pref April
Gordo - Busy 2wks in April
DG - Pref September
Mark_Hutch - Any date
dutchoven - Interested in September
RichardC - Interested - April preferred

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the type of off-roading depends on where you go

I'd intended for it to be a slightly challenging trip rather than a string of photo ops connected by gravel roads, but I'm a total greenhorn when it comes to riding off road so challenging for me would probably be only slightly tricky for an experienced rider two up

My vision was for riding similar to the vids from "farmboy" - I'll dig up his video thread on the UK GS forum...

ETA: Farmboy's video link:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194197

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
me me me me me me :D

Always wanted to do Morocco, but never found anyone to go with me:frown:

I happy to do a trip and wing it! after all its what adventures are all about
Cool

Any dates better than others or any you definitely couldn't make?

I'll add you to the list:smokin:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Guys

Sorry for letting this hang, I was away with work and I was cut off from't t'internet!!!

I was hoping to take some time for the trip, if you only take two weeks you'll lose two days on the boat, two in Spain and another getting into Morocco on the border, assuming you get straight back into Spain afterwards that's still 9 of your 14 days gone already and it seems like a lot of traveling to rush round the place when you eventually get there...

For the folks interested in bringing their significant others either on the back or on their own bikes, I hadn't planned it as a road trip, the idea would be to do as little road miles as possible, sand/mountains/rivers etc etc - See the third video in the linked thread back in the OP for the type of terrain that's in my head, you'd need a lunacy level close to that of Nick Sanders if you want to take a speed triple there:eek::D

Urgh, anyway, I'm shattered, I need some food then I'll have a trawl through everyone's replies and see if we can make a plan:cool:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
First post updated, a couple if things...

Seems most people are interested in a loose plan rather than a structured tour - my ideal trip would be similar to farmboy's adventure up through the mountains, something to push myself a bit and actually have a bit of an adventure instead of a normal road biased biking trip - not sure how others feel about this, especially with folks who want to bring pillions etc - I'd hate to say "yeah everybody show up" only to find some people were expecting roads and got mule tracks or vice-versa depending on what we end up doing

Other thing I've not mentioned yet is numbers, we've got eight interesteds now - that's quite a few bikes to get from place to place and find accommodation for riders etc etc - Not sure how other people feel about riding in big groups, I was kind of thinking between five and ten riders otherwise the logistics get a bit complicated!!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
2 weeks is pretty much a minimum as that way you will get 9 days TOPS to explore, or a week if you give yourself a rest somewhere along the line - this is of course on the basis that ferries are on time etc. I'm thinking of perhaps three weeks and taking a bit more time to explore and take it all in, still not going to be enough though. Whatever happens I'm sure that people will be on different schedules and so if we all go as a group there's no reason why some leave earlier - I reckon it may be a 50/50 ratio but nowt wrong with that.
I'm inclined to agree, the ferries from portsmouth go on mondays and return on wednesdays, I'd probably think of taking the monday boat out and the wednesday three weeks and two days later back

As you say though nothing to stop folks from coming out later and meeting up as we head back to the north??

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Sounds like a good plan...

What's the costs for fewer bikes? Even if it's more expensive the saved cost of tyres, fuel and time would probably be worthwhile

If we can get six together who're interested I'd be tempted to save the hassle of getting boats and riding through Spain...

What do other people think? And who's going to be available for a couple of weeks, possibly a day or two longer during April or just into March/May

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
count me in for this option and with regards to time - im easy - self employed!
Nice one...

I keep meaning to PM you about getting involved in route planning as currently I've not got a clue - have you got any ideas for places we must see - I'd be hoping to have 10-14days in Morocco itself depending on flights / travel / timings etc etc

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Righto...

If I said dates of flying out on Saturday 10/04 and flying back Tuesday 27/04 who couldn't make it?

Gordo what's holding up your April? If I know the exact dates that ae sticky for you I can do all I can to plan around it

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
let me know if you need any help or assistance in routes

things to take etc

or any other odd question you might have, guaranteed I will have worried about myself last year.

Chris
Cheers Chris

Any ideas of good routes and things to take???;):D

Gordo - glad to here you can make it:smokin:

JG - will be interesting to here what you can rent a van for, it was something I'd considered looking into

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I have some routes that you simply must do - all are available on the Olaf free downloadable maps if you have a GPS you can plan the route easily.

I have put the routes on here before somewhere I will look for them.

But the main Routes to do are the Mountain River route from Midelt through to Imilchil and onto Dades Gorge ( over 60 river crossings and the most memorable route on earth )

The Desert route from Foum Zguid through to Merzouga via Zagora ( damn hard at times and even harder at others )

Chris
Nice one mate, I'm liking the sound of river crossings...:cool:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
...are the April dates firm? :D
Just found out my cousin's wedding is on the week before so it has to be on or after these dates really if I'm going to make it, as good as Morocco is I can't miss the wedding for it

On the plus side the long weekend would give you plenty of time to get everything ready:smokin::redface:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I know that I didn't originate this idea, but how many of you are serious about this trip and are prepared to commit to the dates and method of getting to Morocco. Time is marching on and plans need to be firmed.

Sorry if I sound pushy, but I would really like to do this trip :smokin:
Richard

My apologies for not getting things together sooner, it's been a frantic week at work and yada yada yada etc etc

The dates in the OP are fine for me and my wedding attendance, the 10th to the 27th suits me great and I'm flexible in terms of moving a day or two here and there if needs be

But for now lets say those dates:

===============================

People who can commit to the dates 10/04 to 27/04 2010:

the_lone_wolf

===============================

Copy and add your names folks, I know a few have already said yes but for completeness can you add them to this list^^^ - Ta:smokin:

WRT getting the bikes down there I'm keen on doing it in the most economical fashion, I'm more than happy to do some driving if needs be, I'm 25 with a clean license since 2001 and happy to do a stint

Or whatever, once we have a group who are commited to the dates we can begin worrying more fruitfully by saying to companies "can you truck bikes to spain on *these* dates?"

Just did a quick cold weather gear test tonight ready for the Elephant Rally in January. feels very odd talking about morocco after coming in from that:D

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Hmm

Not sure how others feel but taking my own bike was part of the adventure for me

If I wanted to rent a bike and go ride I'd want to go further than Morocco - Probably go down to S. Africa...

:confused:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I also agree.

Just throwing in the suggestions to see if it helps anyone.:)

Of course, we could combine the alternatives - some BYOB, other rent. :cool:
True...

£500/bike doesn't sound too bad, the boat isn't much off £300 and the time saved would be worth it for me

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
JG - I'm up for meeting to sort stuff out, can't make it for the week starting Tues 24th Jan though as I'm in Germany

Once we get together I think things'll get fixed up quickly, no need to overthink it, work out the logistics of getting X bikes + X riders to Morocco and get a rough idea of where we'd like to go, once we're there we can sort out the minor day to day bits

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I see that the_lone_wolf lives in IOW, you in London, me in Dorset. Are there any others committed?
As an alternative we could meet at Winchester or Fleet Services?
London is easy enough if I can get the train as it goes from a couple miles from my house right to the boat and next train...

Bike, or god forbid car, is a royal pain in the arse

1 - 20 of 28 Posts