KTM Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've just got back from Morocco a few weeks ago. My mate and I could only manage 10 days total for the trip, so like has previously been mentioned just getting there eats into that time by 3 day each way......minimum. So we only had 4 full days in country, which most may say was a waste rubber, but that was all we could manage cos of work etc.... I'll give a brief run thrugh the route and timings to help with you making your mind up and help with your planning.

Day 1 Plymouth to Santander (docked 13:20 next day)
Day 2 Santander (13:20) to Salamanca
Day 3 Salamanca to Algaciras (ferry port) via a brief trip up Gibraltar rock.
Day 4 Algaciras (07:30 ferry €130 return) to Ceuta then on to Marakesh 19:00
Day 5 Marakesh 08:00 to Erg Chebbi 16:30 via orzazate on the Nkob road
Day 6 Erg Chebbi 09:00 to Fez 17:00
Day 7 Fez 0800 to Ceuta 20:00 via the north coast road which is all dirt at the moment not tarmac as on Michilin map!!then on the ferry to Algeciras 21:00.then on to a mates house near Malaga.
Day 8 malaga to Segovia, camped
Day 9 Segovia to Santander 1320 ferry......which had about 250 bikes on it!
Day 10 Portsmouth 1530 to YORKSHIRE!!!!

There , tried to keep it short for you but the trip itself was TOO short. will just have to go again. Total milage was 3820 door to door, so new tires and a service for sure before you go...There are plenty other threads with Morocco info and "the" border crossing was piece of piss first thing in the morning, locals were great and didn't want any dosh.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I rode to Morocco this year and as has been said,getting there and back is time.
An option for those with restricted time is to use http://www.biketruck.com/ which means you could fly out and perhaps have ten days out there instead of 5. 10 days will allow you to see far far more and not feel 'rushed'.
It costs about 500quid so i have read,now i understand that it aint cheap but there may be other alternatives? Maybe someone knows a firm who drives an empty truck down near Malaga and they'd work a deal to get bikes down and everyone flies out?
Another alternative is to simply hire bikes out there.

I have looked into many different ways and the costs are about the same with the difference being the amount of time one can take off work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Getting a truck to take the bikes down to Tarifa or somewhere sounds a good idea to me. Out of interest, for those who have all ready ridden down, how much did it cost for petrol and ferry costs to Morroco?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
2 weeks is pretty much a minimum as that way you will get 9 days TOPS to explore, or a week if you give yourself a rest somewhere along the line - this is of course on the basis that ferries are on time etc. I'm thinking of perhaps three weeks and taking a bit more time to explore and take it all in, still not going to be enough though. Whatever happens I'm sure that people will be on different schedules and so if we all go as a group there's no reason why some leave earlier - I reckon it may be a 50/50 ratio but nowt wrong with that.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
2 weeks is pretty much a minimum as that way you will get 9 days TOPS to explore, or a week if you give yourself a rest somewhere along the line - this is of course on the basis that ferries are on time etc. I'm thinking of perhaps three weeks and taking a bit more time to explore and take it all in, still not going to be enough though. Whatever happens I'm sure that people will be on different schedules and so if we all go as a group there's no reason why some leave earlier - I reckon it may be a 50/50 ratio but nowt wrong with that.
I'm inclined to agree, the ferries from portsmouth go on mondays and return on wednesdays, I'd probably think of taking the monday boat out and the wednesday three weeks and two days later back

As you say though nothing to stop folks from coming out later and meeting up as we head back to the north??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Out of interest, for those who have all ready ridden down, how much did it cost for petrol and ferry costs to Morroco?
Ferry from Algeciras just west of gibraltar cost me €130 return to Ceuta. It only takes 45 minutes as it's some fancy jet boat thing, all the crew were rather attractive lithuanian girls.......:D.There are other slower routes but time was not on my side when I went.
Ferry from Plymouth to Santander for two of us sharing a cabin with a bike each was £240 each return to Portsmouth.
Petrol for the whole trip probably cost me £400 ish. Fuel was cheaper in Morocco but not as cheap as you might think. Don't forget to add a set of tires to your sums....It all adds up don't it, just don't tell the fun police (wife) and you'll swing it easy;)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Getting a truck to take the bikes down to Tarifa or somewhere sounds a good idea to me. Out of interest, for those who have all ready ridden down, how much did it cost for petrol and ferry costs to Morroco?

Ferry..plymouth-Santander,about 220 without a cabin,300 with cabin(trust me it f'kin aint good without,i've done it twice....i must love punishment).
Fuel,i'd say about 700mile from Santander-Cueta so say 70-100quid + tolls...30quid? I did the direct route through mountains last time,far more bearable.
Tyre wear + time off work etc etc etc.
Accom en route (i just rough camped,but that option means carrying camping gear).

You cant get the bikes trucked INTO Morocco i dont think due to customs....i could be wrong but i guess it would be a right ball ache.
Bike truck-500quid
Flight-100quid?

Ferry over to Morocco is the same no matter which way you travel.

Also worth considering,when you first get there,you'll be raring to go and think nowt of blasting down to Fes after clearing customs all fresh.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How do,

First post here so go easy !

Have done this trip a few times, both times taking a van to the south of spain (Sorry !) but it worked out the best with time and fatigue etc. 2 of us in the van so could drive none stop pretty much. Basically 3 weeks gave us 10 days in Morocco which is just enough to do a reasonable dirt tour. Thats assuming nothing goes amiss. One trip i got ill and couldnt ride for a day so then had a mega day (incl 2 punctures) trying to catch up ~(on a drz 400 at that time?!) so that i made it back in time.

Its a bastard long way, and when you are there you just want to stay longer.

I would seriously consider getting a gruop together and getting a van, you can get a lot of bikes in a van, 2 drive em to spain and the rest fly?

Not looked at the costs of this idea but it might work giving more bike time in Morocco, which is what your after, Have done france and spain on a bike before to get there, it was painfull.

Anyway just my thoughts..

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
While talking to a friend the other day, he's suggested that we look at transporting the bikes to southern Spain (to his place) and then fly down to Malaga. Taking six bikes down there would cost about £1000 (total), flights can be had for ~£100 (per person) from various airports.

It would mean two days to Morocco (one day travelling, second (half?) day crossing the border) instead of four to the same point.

The transporter is used by my friend to shift bikes back and forwards to the UK for his business, and he's more than happy for us to park them at his - a couple of hours from Algeceiras.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Sounds like a good plan...

What's the costs for fewer bikes? Even if it's more expensive the saved cost of tyres, fuel and time would probably be worthwhile

If we can get six together who're interested I'd be tempted to save the hassle of getting boats and riding through Spain...

What do other people think? And who's going to be available for a couple of weeks, possibly a day or two longer during April or just into March/May

·
Registered
179 Posts
for me, i would rather spend more time riding in morroco, so the bike transporter & flying option is very appealing for me.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I know i am 'unknown' on here,but i am very interested in the transport bikes there option if i can gatecrash. I am also more interested if the going is off tarmac.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Sounds like a good plan...

What's the costs for fewer bikes? Even if it's more expensive the saved cost of tyres, fuel and time would probably be worthwhile

If we can get six together who're interested I'd be tempted to save the hassle of getting boats and riding through Spain...

What do other people think? And who's going to be available for a couple of weeks, possibly a day or two longer during April or just into March/May
count me in for this option and with regards to time - im easy - self employed!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
count me in for this option and with regards to time - im easy - self employed!
Nice one...

I keep meaning to PM you about getting involved in route planning as currently I've not got a clue - have you got any ideas for places we must see - I'd be hoping to have 10-14days in Morocco itself depending on flights / travel / timings etc etc

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Nice one...

I keep meaning to PM you about getting involved in route planning as currently I've not got a clue - have you got any ideas for places we must see - I'd be hoping to have 10-14days in Morocco itself depending on flights / travel / timings etc etc
Getting on top of it mate! There's a few gorges and the like that are worth seeing but mostly its the riding - least thats what I hear. Il be in touch with you when i have a better idea - wont be long.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Righto...

If I said dates of flying out on Saturday 10/04 and flying back Tuesday 27/04 who couldn't make it?

Gordo what's holding up your April? If I know the exact dates that ae sticky for you I can do all I can to plan around it

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Righto...

If I said dates of flying out on Saturday 10/04 and flying back Tuesday 27/04 who couldn't make it?

Gordo what's holding up your April? If I know the exact dates that ae sticky for you I can do all I can to plan around it
Ay ;)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Sorry - not been in front of my PC for almost a week :eek:

I'm supposed to be in Welsh Wales 16-18 April, but have been told that the Big Adventure to Morocco is more important. :D

I've pencilled in the dates, and will put in a holiday request and see what happens.

When I get home tonight I'll drop the bike shifter a line and see what the deal is. I think 6 Advs is going to be a tight fit.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I MAY be up for the driving the bikes down myself. Would of course need $ from all those whose bikes I take but im going to look into it. Would need to do a trial run of how many I could fit in and what the prices are with others as to whether it would be worth my while but if I could then I would do it cheaper.

Gordon - let me know what prices you can get per bike and il go from there with my thinking.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
let me know if you need any help or assistance in routes

things to take etc

or any other odd question you might have, guaranteed I will have worried about myself last year.

Chris
Cheers Chris

Any ideas of good routes and things to take???;):D

Gordo - glad to here you can make it:smokin:

JG - will be interesting to here what you can rent a van for, it was something I'd considered looking into

41 - 60 of 146 Posts