KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few of you guys on here has done the Morrocan Adventure and I'm after some info which I reckon would also be of good use to fellow members.

Please use this thread to post questions you may have and hopefully the guys who's been there can answer and advise accordingly :D

Here's my few to start with;

How much did you pay to have the bikes shipped to Malaga?
How much is the ferry crossing from Spain to Morocco?
Did you pay a "fixer" to get you through passport control or not?
Which towns/villages did you visit?
Which towns/villages would you recommend visiting?
How frequent are the petrol stations?
How much did you pay for a hotel?
Did you camp wild? If so any "issues"?
Maps or GPS routes?

A few to be going on with and I dare say I'll have others ;)

TIA

DG

·
Registered
729 Posts
Here's my few to start with;

Mate had a van... so not entirely sure

How much is the ferry crossing from Spain to Morocco? IIRC it was 33 euro each way...

Did you pay a "fixer" to get you through passport control or not? No, this is a common scam according to the people at Motorcycle tours adventure we had to borrow a 640 LC4 off them & they did the entry forms online for us... saving us getting scammed out of our dosh

Which towns/villages did you visit? Chefchouanannanananan (or what ever :dozey:), Ifrane, Ouarzazate, Zagora

Which towns/villages would you recommend visiting? As above... don't know any more

How frequent are the petrol stations? Frequent enough to not run out on the Adv.. however at times they didn't have any cos you have to wait for the fuel truck, just ride to the next town and hope its there

How much did you pay for a hotel? for around 30 quid a night you get a room (nice) and dinner/brekkie..

Did you camp wild? If so any "issues"? Yes. Take a tent...;) ... not what i had... park as far away from the road as possible (the locals will still find you) as people will come to your campsight thinking you're a berber community and sit with you.... they expect to be fed. hard if you haven't got much. part from that no issues

Maps or GPS routes? both.... we GPS'd a few good routes ourself... once i meet up with the others i can share... including the mule track of death... i wanna see others enjoy it too :p

HTH

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

Gordo will confirm but I think about $250 each way is what we paid. This is quite a good deal if there is no-one in the party willing to take them all - Ferry costs to Santander or driving through France and Spain, fuel, hotels, 3 more days each way off work - so unpaid - quickly adds up. You will be hard pushed to find cheaper than that, but its unlikely you will get the same deal as it was a friend of a friend and may not be repeatable/tie in with your dates.

How much is the ferry crossing from Spain to Morocco?

£50 ish return

Did you pay a "fixer" to get you through passport control or not?

Yes but only because it is quicker and less daunting if you dont know what to take to whom at the border. If you have never been it can make things less stessful but it is unnecessary. Our chap also guided us (jumped on the back) to the local town where we needed to go to get insurance. No way would we have found it otherwise, as the AXA place was shut! So it can be a good idea really....

Which towns/villages did you visit?

Shit loads, but Ourzazata (?) was the best town to stay in - at Bikershome anyway! Great base from where you can do some fantastic piste riding without luggage. Its also great place to recharge your batteries ready for the desert sections which are 1 days ride away. Peter and his wife are great aswel, will take you to nice restaurants around and also to a great milkshake place!

Which towns/villages would you recommend visiting?

Stay away from all the touristy places like Casablanca etc - hell on earth. Just ride the pistes and see where you end up.

How frequent are the petrol stations?

Frequent enough to render my extra fuel tanks totally unnecessary

How much did you pay for a hotel?

Ranges from £20 to £40 a night with breakfast/dinner. £40 was a lush place near the dunes with great A/C rooms, breakfast and dinner (both amazing) and a pool etc

Did you camp wild? If so any "issues"?

As Craig says, only that you will have company at some point or another! We had sheep being herded through our campsite one morning - I thought id died and gone to heaven! Its no bother though, just adds to the charm of the place really - its the begging that does you brain in, but you'll only get that on the road

Maps or GPS routes?

Both, but its easy navigation - you know if you have gone wrong quite quickly

Gav - il bring my Morocco stuff with me to the Cambrian and we can talk there - Gordon will also be there and we went together so can answer most of your questions I hope!

That is of course.....unless 'Team T-Shirt' are on a strict diet of no outsiders....:smokin:

·
Registered
729 Posts
@ Gareth... The insurance things a scam apparently... You just need the importation documents to be done; which they claim is insurance.

@DG always ask how much things cost, prices fluctuate greatly depending on who you are. I argued for 5minutes over the price of fuel, it was over 10 dirham... About 79p... I won in the end.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Hmmm - not too sure about the insurance being a scam mate - if you have cover via your insurance company at home then thats of course fine but if they don't cover you for Morocco then you have to have it.

Tim Cullis on UKGSER website will give you advice on this but I have never heard from anyone who rides in Morocco that the insurance is a scam! If you have an accident then who covers you???

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
As the others said really.
Personally i cant see the point in camping given how cheap a room is.It means carrying 3X as much gear which will spoil the riding. Stay in the kasbah's which really is great.
check this... Maroc, n'koob, kasbah, casbah, sud, tourisme, maison d'hte, baha baha, htel, ouarzazate, zagora, hbergement, tourisme cologique, cotourisme, sophrologie, cotourisme, co-hebergement, jardin muse Why the hell bother carrying a tent??!!

Most bike carriers to Malaga will charge about 500ish for the bike.....and about 50 for the luggage.
Last years crossing was about 60EU return.

Routes....head south!! I must say i enjoy it in Marrakech though but only for an evening.

I am thinking of an assault on the place if i can get enough people together.

Bikes/light luggage transported to the most convenient airport.Everyone flies out or meets us there. Anyone got good logistics contacts?
Hopefully all ride across together(get insured with Carole Nash fully comp which should cover Morocco although do check first).
Dependant on group size,split into groups dependant upon what you want from the trip. Eg,most off piste,all roads,off piste/on road.
Try and meet up in the same towns in the evenings,preferably try and get in the same hotel/kasbah. Phone coverage is perhaps better than here in UK.
Could suit you on this trip DG and do your own thing and meet up on set dates.
I'd like to think we could get 15-20 people?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
No idea yet,will see what people think first when i get around to looking into it properly.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
No idea yet,will see what people think first when i get around to looking into it properly.
I would be up for it - but could probably only do dates in February or early March due to work :frown:

I agree with the 'no tents' approach - plenty of good cheap accomodation around !

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The advice we were given was to spend a night camping in the desert and admire the amazing view of the night sky - so we did: it was cloudy and we saw nothing :hmh:

The insurance isn't a scam, it's a legal requirement - third party cover only though. The D16 import document is just that: an import document that registers your vehicle in the country.

Rooms are cheap, and all the ones we stayed in were clean and comfortable enough - not always to western standards though (but they all had a western-style toilet :)).

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Responded.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It looks pretty cold there, is this true? :D
You jest but Ifrane is a ski village... For snow! Modelled on a Swiss village apprently, does look like one too...especially given the ammount of French tourists there!

·
Registered
729 Posts
The insurance isn't a scam, it's a legal requirement - third party cover only though. The D16 import document is just that: an import document that registers your vehicle in the country.
wes:)).
ahh, I'm probably getting kerfuddled here. It's the D16 they try scam you on, you can though as of June this year do it all yourself online so that you get your IM number (importation thingy). Not too sure bout the insurance then, deal with enough of that crap here so turned off: we were told we were ok....I personally found it hard to believe that the cars there had insurance... "what's an MOT"....

@Blue, liking the idea but howsa bout Algeria? Can we ride there or is it not too safe for us infidels?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts