KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I am researching trailers to tow a motorcycle behind a van around Scotland and also on European trips.

I have no experience regarding trailers so any knowledge anyone can supply me with would be fantastic.

Some of the transverse loading trailers look good and easily stored, there are even options of having a hand cranked winch to pull the bike up via the front wheel chock, obviously for the heavier bikes.

Also the Motolug collapsible trailer looks decent in the heavier option.....

The transverse loading trailer is a lot shorter in length whilst towing, but im not sure if this is more stable or as easy to tow as the standard shaped Motolug

Any feedback will be appreciated

Chris...:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a Moto lug, ( 10 inch wheels ) with 690 enduro on it.
doddle to put toghther,strip down
towed lovely even at 80 or so,on a private road...never knew it was there...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a Moto lug, ( 10 inch wheels ) with 690 enduro on it.
doddle to put toghther,strip down
towed lovely even at 80 or so,on a private road...never knew it was there...
So was the Motolug sturdy?....would you be happy using it for a long trip?

·
Registered
592 Posts
So was the Motolug sturdy?....would you be happy using it for a long trip?
I’ve had Moto lug for years, very pleased with it. Handy when buying a bike privately as you can travel there with it in the car, just 10 mins to assemble. Don’t tow it empty however, it needs a bike on it fastened down to tension the frame. Easy to load and tows brilliantly. Depending on what your towing with, best to upgrade to the 10 inch wheels if you can.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As Nige has said,
i never plodded around Europe with it,,but would be happy too no problem,
they also come with a grease nipple for the bearings,

·
Registered
329 Posts
I’ve a Dave Cooper collapsible trailer, it’s been towed to Spain and back 4 times with no issues at all , Tows very steady even at 130 kph , But it does have 10 inch wheels, There is no way I would consider 8 inch wheels if your doing long distances,
It can be completely dismantled if you want, I just remove 3 bolts and remove the tail section then it will stand upright in my garage when not in use,

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve a Dave Cooper collapsible trailer, it’s been towed to Spain and back 4 times with no issues at all , Tows very steady even at 130 kph , But it does have 10 inch wheels, There is no way I would consider 8 inch wheels if your doing long distances,
It can be completely dismantled if you want, I just remove 3 bolts and remove the tail section then it will stand upright in my garage when not in use,
That's good to know that you have been to Spain with the trailer. I wasn't sure if the collapsible trailers would be good enough for long travel

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's good to know that you have been to Spain with the trailer. I wasn't sure if the collapsible trailers would be good enough for long travel
It honestly tows a dream, simple ladder rack design, I can pick the whole trailer up on my own, 💪

·
Registered
507 Posts
+1 for motolug, I have the double trailer and towed all sorts from my 640 to a pair of harleys all with no bother, its easy to pack down, easy to store and carry and in use it handles really well. I have had mine over 10 years and the only issue I had was the paint finish coming off, however it was only on those made at that time, I have just had mine powder coated the actual parts are in really good condition for something that lives outside most of the time, highly recommended.
I have taken it over to Germany and back, up and down to Scotland and Cornwall so really no issues at all.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
I have a Dave Cooper collapsible trailer too, I put my 950 SuperEnduro on it, even though it was over the rated weight and hanging over the back it towed fine.
I also have a box trailer, which is my preferred method as no-one is aware you have a bike in it so it's more secure and scrotes wont follow you home.
I also have a rack that fits across the back of my camper, that's the easiest way of doing big journeys as there is no limit on speed or lane use, but again it's exposed so scrotes can clock it. And you need a good strong carrier.

Best bike trailer I ever has was an Ifor Williams BV84, could get 2 bikes in it and as its only 4 ft wide with a pointy end it did not effect fuel economy too much unless you cruised at 80 on the motorway when my V70 would stop sipping fuel and start guzzling!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a Dave Cooper collapsible trailer too, I put my 950 SuperEnduro on it, even though it was over the rated weight and hanging over the back it towed fine.
I also have a box trailer, which is my preferred method as no-one is aware you have a bike in it so it's more secure and scrotes wont follow you home.
I also have a rack that fits across the back of my camper, that's the easiest way of doing big journeys as there is no limit on speed or lane use, but again it's exposed so scrotes can clock it. And you need a good strong carrier.

Best bike trailer I ever has was an Ifor Williams BV84, could get 2 bikes in it and as its only 4 ft wide with a pointy end it did not effect fuel economy too much unless you cruised at 80 on the motorway when my V70 would stop sipping fuel and start guzzling!
The Williams trailer ticks every box apart from storing it !!!!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I picked up a (Never / barely) used Motolug HDE for about half new price, came with the 10" wheels which was a bonus and it was almost as new, had been sat gathering dust for a couple of years.

Only used it about 4 times, but don't notice it behind the car, can put it together in @10 minutes - from it being tucked away at the edge of the garage, to assembled and hitched to the car. It takes up virtually no space in the garage when apart.

Only downside is cost, never seen the Dave Cooper collapsible, but if buying new hard to believe the Motolug is worth twice the price, but if you can find a used motolug you know it will sell for about what you paid for it several years later.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you are able; go for a box trailer, as no one knows what is inside when you are travelling from A to B. It should go without saying.......do not put stickers all over the box trailer advertising the products that you use, whilst using motorcycles (slight give away, as to what might be inside)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only used it about 4 times, but don't notice it behind the car, can put it together in @10 minutes - from it being tucked away at the edge of the garage, to assembled and hitched to the car. It takes up virtually no space in the garage when apart.
I am giving the Motolug HDE serious thought, the ability to stow it away is a massive tick in the for box

If you are able; go for a box trailer, as no one knows what is inside when you are travelling from A to B. It should go without saying.......do not put stickers all over the box trailer advertising the products that you use, whilst using motorcycles (slight give away, as to what might be inside)
Everything about the box trailer is good apart from storing when not in use.

The Motolug or this folding one seem my best option

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone have a transverse (sideways) loading motorcycle trailer?
Have a sideways trailer I towed To IOM.

Very stable. Has castors to store upright when not in use. Adjustable arm over handlebars or different bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts