KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like everyone else, I've been out on the push bike trying to get a bit fitter etc. Every man and his dog has an e-mtb and says they are awesome. So it got me thinking about one. But rather than rush out and buy one I thought I'd give a normal mtb a go first.

Have only ridden a MTB once at a downhill track and that ended badly. Went out today and it was ok fun but I have absolutely no skill on it whatsoever.

Now, I'm not particularly good on an enduro bike but I'm a reasonable clubman and I'm more into the technical riding and trials but I just have so little skill on the MTB. It's so twitchy and skittish, it's terrifying!! It's a good bike so I know it's not that.

Everyone reckons that MTB riding improves enduro riding but I don't know where to start.

So.... How do you ride a MTB? Who else had trouble converting across? Any tips?

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Weirdly (compared to you) one of the lads whos got a 450ktm did some MTB stuff and was pretty damn good straight off the bat.

I'm an avid MTBer but when i tried an enduro bike i was proper proper rubbish, like TERRIBLE !!!

Twitchy ? Skittish ? what bike is it ? what tyres / wheels ? pressures ?

·
Administrator
8,433 Posts
Just give it a bit of time. I've been riding alot lately on the MTB and it definitely helps develop balance and stamina. The more you do it the easier it becomes. Dont give up too soon.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a good bike but a few years old. I think the tyre pressures were a bit too high.

I've been using my road biased hybrid on the road and that really has helped with fitness. The MTB is quite good fun but I really don't know what I'm doing.... More accurately, I do not know what the bike is going to do. I can only read the ground like I'm riding an enduro bike but the MTB has relatively no grip, suspension, or stability... And the engine is utter bonk!

You reckon just get some seat time in and that'll help? I've watched some YouTube vids but they are like watching Billy Bolt when you just started greenlaning!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
You cant be that bad on a push bike? Where are you riding? Plenty of tame fire roads and wild parks about with single track off the beaten track to plod along and get a feeling or just general bike trails. Or are you doing full on bike park seriously dangerous skilled technically shit :)

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I’ve started riding my hardtail MBt. It’s been good for me stamina but bad for my back side. I’ve recently downloaded Strava and this has got me interested in rider comparisons over bits of my route. I see Paul Bolton and Toni Bou have e MTB’s, very expensive;£5k for a Levo Turbo. The worst thing for me are dogs off leads and ramblers moaning.

·
Administrator
8,433 Posts
Padded shorts and a decent seat are essential. I have a 10 mile loop that I do, a mixture of road, tracks, forest etc. Takes me about 45 minutes if I push hard. I love it.

·
Administrator
8,433 Posts
This one.

k

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Padded shorts and a decent seat are essential. I have a 10 mile loop that I do, a mixture of road, tracks, forest etc. Takes me about 45 minutes if I push hard. I love it.
Cheers I’ll look up some shorts. Sounds like a good route is plotted on Strava? If you wanna look me up it’s: Sand Man...... know the song by Metallica.

off topic, lanes in Essex, you still out and about?

·
Administrator
8,433 Posts
I gave up on Strava and just use the built in apps on my Samsung phone and watch.

Haven't ridden the lanes for a long time but just planning to go on Sunday, early start before too many walkers about.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You cant be that bad on a push bike? Where are you riding? Plenty of tame fire roads and wild parks about with single track off the beaten track to plod along and get a feeling or just general bike trails. Or are you doing full on bike park seriously dangerous skilled technically shit :)
It's just that basic skills like cornering, finding grip, and jumping (small hops really) seem very different. It just feels like it could go horribly wrong at any moment. I found bermed corners to be largely the same though.

Haven't done anything difficult since stacking it big time at a downhill bike park a couple years ago. I still don't know what happened so I can't learn from it.

Basically, anything remotely more than a smooth track and I hit the brakes and shit myself!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've been doing a fair bit of cycling since this whole situation started. I borrowed my father in laws road bike and I've done about 150 miles on that, but also done about the same on my 29" hardtail. The road bike is good for general fitness and I don't get bored so quick, where as the MTB is harder work when off road and I tend to get a bit frustrated when it takes ages to get anywhere, but as I've been getting fitter and my stamina in increasing I'm enjoying it more and going that bit further. I met my bother and his friend (who was on a EMTB, that made the hills look easy!) yesterday for a social distancing ride around the top of our valley. I did the best part of 25 miles over 4 1/2 hours and 2400 ft of climbing, but only about 2 3/4 was actual riding, with a puncture stop, a couple of snack stops and 20 mins to save a sheep that was stuck in a bog. With a bit of banter on the way, it was a lot nicer than being out on your own. I think I would have stuggled a bit on my own, and would probably have taken a shorter route, but I'm glad we did the route we did. We were rewarded with a few nice downhills, nothing knarly, just flowing grassy sheep tracks. Legs and arse are hurting a bit this morning, but no pain no gain. I certainly think it's going to help me for when we eventually get back on the enduro bikes.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
It's just that basic skills like cornering, finding grip, and jumping (small hops really) seem very different. It just feels like it could go horribly wrong at any moment. I found bermed corners to be largely the same though.

Haven't done anything difficult since stacking it big time at a downhill bike park a couple years ago. I still don't know what happened so I can't learn from it.

Basically, anything remotely more than a smooth track and I hit the brakes and shit myself!
Where are you based?

Today I've got a 5 mile ride to our destination of a jump area, along with my 11 year old who'll put us all to shame. Then we'll play for an hour, I'll then go off for 20-30 miles on my own
Can't wait.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Somerset based so apparently there are a load of trails to ride. Pretty much everyone I know from the enduro world has an e-mtb but I need to be more comfortable before I splash that sort of money. No point making the hills easy if the fun stuff isn't fun!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's just that basic skills like cornering, finding grip.
Its pretty dry now on most trails, if its the front washing out on you when cornering with the slightest amount of lean its your front tire, 18-20 psi you will be amazed at the grip, it will zap your energy on road though.

·
Administrator
8,433 Posts
I'm running 35psi front and rear and haven't had any issues with grip at all

1 - 20 of 64 Posts